Author Topic: Italian Restaurants, Bread, Oil, and ?  (Read 4888 times)

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
Re: Italian Restaurants, Bread, Oil, and ?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 01:17:22 AM »
Small Hijack

I've heard about this Bread and Oil, but how do you eat it, what do you do with it.

I've never seen it.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:21:01 AM »
Oil and vinegar on a plate, bread in a basket (typical American restaurant fare).  Dip bread in oil and vinegar, make sure to get both.  Enjoy!

Fancy looking:
http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/oil_and_vinegar.asp
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:03 AM »
Ohhh Many Thanks :)

Hijack over. :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 01:33:32 AM »

I got so desperate tonight I dipped plain old sandwich bread in it...I needed my vinegar fix!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 01:35:22 AM »
I've got to try it one day.

Lol  at your

I got so desperate tonight I dipped plain old sandwich bread in it...I needed my vinegar fix!

greencat

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 01:49:31 AM »
Odd.  In the area that I live, I've NEVER seen vinegar with the oil & herb combo for the bread. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 01:52:48 AM »
Odd.  In the area that I live, I've NEVER seen vinegar with the oil & herb combo for the bread.

I've only ever seen it that way in Colorado.  You should give it a try!  Make sure you get oil, too, when you're sopping, or the basalmic vinegar may come across as too strong.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 07:51:33 AM »
Oil and vinegar on a plate, bread in a basket (typical American restaurant fare).  Dip bread in oil and vinegar, make sure to get both.  Enjoy!

Fancy looking:
http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/oil_and_vinegar.asp

After many taste tests, I can attest that homemade foccaccia is the best bread for dipping.
The days are long but the years are short.

lowspark

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »
Once you combine the olive oil & vinegar, you can add to it to enhance it. Minced roasted garlic is fabulous. Freshly ground black pepper. Shredded fresh basil or other herbs. Freshly grated parmesan cheese. And yes, the bread needs to be something crusty and substantial. And fresh and hot out of the oven is preferable.

There are many restaurants who serve that around here. It sort of became the new garlic bread. Although my favorite Italian restaurant actually still serves a wonderful garlic bread before your meal.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
Once you combine the olive oil & vinegar, you can add to it to enhance it. Minced roasted garlic is fabulous. Freshly ground black pepper. Shredded fresh basil or other herbs. Freshly grated parmesan cheese. And yes, the bread needs to be something crusty and substantial. And fresh and hot out of the oven is preferable.

There are many restaurants who serve that around here. It sort of became the new garlic bread. Although my favorite Italian restaurant actually still serves a wonderful garlic bread before your meal.

Mmmm, you're making me hungry! I actually have a shaker with several dipping spice mixes in it, and the favorite is always parmesan and garlic. I took a fresh loaf of bread, the spices and a bottle of oil to Bible study. Nobody knew what to do with any of it until I demonstrated, but I wound up wishing I had bought two loaves of bread. Even the little kids were begging for another piece, even though I had been sure they would probably think it was 'weird.'
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

lowspark

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »
 ;D Yeah. It's addictive!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

Balsamic vinegar is a lot like wine - you can get a decent bottle for a reasonable price, but at the high/old end, it gets exponentially more expensive. The $1000 a bottle stuff isn't something you'll see at a normal retailer - I think you need private appointments to get near the stuff.

Balsamic is great in salad dressings too, when used in moderation.  I've had a great balsamic-soy dressing with a spinach salad, for example.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 12:30:02 AM »

Balsamic vinegar is a lot like wine - you can get a decent bottle for a reasonable price, but at the high/old end, it gets exponentially more expensive. The $1000 a bottle stuff isn't something you'll see at a normal retailer - I think you need private appointments to get near the stuff.

Balsamic is great in salad dressings too, when used in moderation.  I've had a great balsamic-soy dressing with a spinach salad, for example.

I also have raspberry balsamic on my shelf because I use it to make my own salad dressing....why I never put two and two together is beyond me.

doodlemor

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
Slight threadjack.

I just love balsamic vinegar, the inexpensive kind from Wegman's, on sauteed greens.

This probably sounds weird, but I like to make beans and greens without the beans.  I saute a chopped head of romaine or escarole with some garlic in olive oil.  I leave it fairly crunchy for the texture.  Then I eat it with balsamic vinegar.  I would be happy having this every day.

[ For beans and greens just add a well rinsed can of cannellini beans when the greens are nearly done.  A bit of parm is good, too.]

Back to the regular thread. 

Kaypeep

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »
I sautee red onion with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  They get so sweet and delicious. It's fantastic served on skirt steak with arugula and some reggiano cheese.