Author Topic: Using mixes/prepared food in recipes  (Read 15018 times)

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
Re: Using mixes/prepared food in recipes
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 01:56:29 AM »
Re Venus's lasagna problem.

We make lasagna in a bread pan.  It serves two people nicely and there's enough to put up another day's meal for the freezer.

I have thought about doing this.  Do you use just one "row" of lasagna?  Do you shorten the cooking time?

No, we fill the pan although a bread pan requires only about 4 lasagna noodles.  They're layered with cheeses and sauce in the normal way.  Because the meat sauce and noodles have already been cooked we only heat it until the cheese melts properly and the top gets bubbly.  About half an hour in a 350 f oven will do it.

Another benefit of a bread pan lasagna is that there are no burned edges so long as you keep the top of the food a little below the rim of the pan.

B..B..But the crispy edges are delicious :'(

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Using mixes/prepared food in recipes
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
Ah.  to each his own, KitKat.

Some like crispy edges, some do not.  There are those who like crispiness on brownies or macaroni and cheese.  There are also people who swear that the burnt ends of barbecued pork are the best parts. 

Mr. Thipu is not fond of crispiness on the edges.  The bread pan lasagna was his idea but I like it as well.