NotTheNarcissist

Re: Wow, I think I've been reading Ehell for a very long time
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
Awesome!

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »
I think weight loss is a subject that your doctor and nurse have the right to bring up if they feel it's warranted.  A nurse making such a suggestion isn't the same thing as a friend or acquaintance making such a suggestion.

I'm not necessarily saying that you look like you need to lose weight.  But even 10 pounds sometimes makes a difference with diabetes and your nurse is one of the two people who get a pass on bringing it up.

I do not look overweight, but that's because I carry my weight all over.  I can get up to 200 pounds before I move into plus sizes and start actually looking very overweight to other people.  Still, the nurse suggests weight loss at every annual physical, because the fact is, I need to lose 30 pounds to be in the healthy range for my age/height/body type.  She is not rude to do so, neither would I feel I have a right to be offended when she invariably makes her annual suggestion.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
I had the same type of nurse thing and I felt really uncomfortable with it.  The nurse called once per month and I felt interrogated and monitored.  I stopped taking the calls bc I didn't know This person and felt uncomfortable.  I.freely discuss with my doctor or nurse at the clinic but not a.stranger on the phone. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:39:22 PM »
I am glad it worked! However, in this case, it might have backfired on you, since it could have been an opening for "the evils of weight on your health" lecture.

Sparksals, I am sorry you felt so badly about this kind of ongoing followup. For a lot of people, it is very helpful and it can be a good kind of accounting for goals.

MrTango

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
My last employer had something like that.

About the 5th time they tried calling me, I finally told the nurse "My healthcare choices are between me and my physician.  Please do not call me again."

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »
Very true.  Others may find it helpful.  Maybe it was her.  I already had my diabetes under control  and felt I didnt need to be checked upon.   I dint need a stranger to push me to do something that is my decision.  I didn't feel the need to provide reports bc It made me feel like if I didnt meet the goal she suggested that I had failed. 

Reason

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
I am glad it worked! However, in this case, it might have backfired on you, since it could have been an opening for "the evils of weight on your health" lecture.

Sparksals, I am sorry you felt so badly about this kind of ongoing followup. For a lot of people, it is very helpful and it can be a good kind of accounting for goals.

I agree, the phrase could have easily backfired, because in this particular case, the nurse could have very easily given you 10 good reasons why you would want to lose weight, especially with diabetes.

I am glad to hear your diabetes is under control.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
I think weight loss is a subject that your doctor and nurse have the right to bring up if they feel it's warranted.  A nurse making such a suggestion isn't the same thing as a friend or acquaintance making such a suggestion.

I think there's a difference between that and what the nurse said, though.  I've had my doctor gently mention weight before, in the sense of (in my case), "You're measuring a bit underweight these days, it's something that can affect your health" and then suggestions for how to deal with it once I said I was open to the discussion.

Whereas the phrasing the nurse in the OP used...I don't know, it doesn't seem to actually say "You might want to lose weight for health reasons because of XYZ."  Rather, to me it reads like an assumption that everyone always wants to lose weight.  Maybe that's not how she meant it, but the phrasing would have caught me off guard.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
I think it depends whether LadyJane is overweight enough to be a health concern combined with her diabetes.  I am small framed and have always been under the ideal weight.  When I was around 125 pounds, I joked with my doctor, "It's not like I'm overweight."  He looked me up and down and said, "You are about 10 pounds more than you should be for your frame."  I was surprised, but I took his advice and lost 10 pounds.  I felt much better ... until I gained it back.

I swear I'm going to get rid of it for good.  It just gets harder as I get older. I am reaping what I sowed in all those comments to myself when looking at obese people (they just need to do some "push aways").

Anyway, only LadyJane knows for sure whether it was a helpful suggestion (clearly not) or an "interesting comment."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
LadyJane I trusted your judgement on your health & respect your space & judgement on this subject. That is why I simply said "awesome" because it's cool how the words nonchalantly rolled off your tongue. Then afterward enjoying the moment. Very cool.

Reason

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »
Please don't be offended, as I only ask because I am having trouble understanding why the question of weight is unacceptable from a doctor.

But how is this different from breaking your arm, going to the doctor for treatment and when the doctor suggests you put it in the sling to straighten then bone you tell him that you are well aware of the ups and downs of improperly healed fractures and don't want a sling, and don't want to discuss it?

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
It sounds like the OPs weight has been discussed in the past w/ her Doctor & nurses & they know where she stands. When the OP is ready to discuss her weight again with them, it sounds like she will do so & take control in her own timing. It sounds like she has put much thought into this subject. If I understand correctly, the nurse prompted her & she wasn't ready to go there, so she ended the subject. When the time is right for the OP, it sounds like she is aware enough to move forward on the subject.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »
Please don't be offended, as I only ask because I am having trouble understanding why the question of weight is unacceptable from a doctor.

But how is this different from breaking your arm, going to the doctor for treatment and when the doctor suggests you put it in the sling to straighten then bone you tell him that you are well aware of the ups and downs of improperly healed fractures and don't want a sling, and don't want to discuss it?

In that case I would expect the doctor to drop the subject or to drop me as a patient if that is something he doesn't want to deal with. But he can't make me discuss something I don't want to.

Joeschmo

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »
It sounds like the OPs weight has been discussed in the past w/ her Doctor & nurses & they know where she stands. When the OP is ready to discuss her weight again with them, it sounds like she will do so & take control in her own timing. It sounds like she has put much thought into this subject. If I understand correctly, the nurse prompted her & she wasn't ready to go there, so she ended the subject. When the time is right for the OP, it sounds like she is aware enough to move forward on the subject.

The POINT behind my post was that the 'accepted' phrase just rolled off my tongue without even thinking about it.  My weight is not now, nor ever will be, a topic for discussion on this list or anywhere else.
I think it's common for people to talk about this situation in the post even if it's not what you believe to be the point of your post.