Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

Used This on a Clueless Applicant

(1/7) > >>

BeagleMommy:
My assistant director has me set up applicant interviews for him.  He gives me dates and times and I try to schedule appointments accordingly.  If someone can't come at the times/dates he gave me I am to check with him and then call the applicant back with new dates/times.

Today I called an applicant.  AD said she could come sometime next week before 10:30.  She was unable to make those times so I told her I would check his schedule and call her back.  She told me she was on campus for a different matter this afternoon and could she see him then.

I said "I'm afraid that won't be possible.  He'll be out of the office all afternoon"
Applicant:  But I'll be here already.
Me:  I'm afraid that won't be possible.  He'll be out of the office all afternoon.  I'll check his schedule and call you back.

AD told me he'd have new dates for me tomorrow.  I called applicant and told her I'd call her tomorrow with new dates.  When I returned from lunch guess who was sitting outside his office?

I asked if I could help her (because I really didn't know who she was at the time) and she told me her name.  When I asked if she remembered me telling her he would be out of the office all afternoon she said "I figured I just come down and wait"

I responded "I'm afraid that won't be possible.  He's out for the entire afternoon and will not be back.  I will call you when he gives me the dates/times he can interview you.

All I kept thinking was "What part of no don't you understand?".  Sheesh!

Sophia:
Do you really want to hire this person?

BeagleMommy:

--- Quote from: Sophia on April 19, 2012, 04:14:25 PM ---Do you really want to hire this person?

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I should have mentioned these are applicants for a graduate degree program.  She was applying to be a student.

Sophia:
Still...  if the program is hurting for applicants, in case why bother interviewing. 
I would say something to the AD.  Someone that can't comprehend No, even when not comprehending is of no advantage to them, would cause havoc in any long-term group setting.

artk2002:

--- Quote from: Sophia on April 19, 2012, 04:39:14 PM ---Still...  if the program is hurting for applicants, in case why bother interviewing. 
I would say something to the AD.  Someone that can't comprehend No, even when not comprehending is of no advantage to them, would cause havoc in any long-term group setting.

--- End quote ---

An inability to follow simple directions is a big warning flag!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version