Author Topic: Used This on a Clueless Applicant  (Read 18415 times)

BeagleMommy

Used This on a Clueless Applicant
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
My assistant director has me set up applicant interviews for him.  He gives me dates and times and I try to schedule appointments accordingly.  If someone can't come at the times/dates he gave me I am to check with him and then call the applicant back with new dates/times.

Today I called an applicant.  AD said she could come sometime next week before 10:30.  She was unable to make those times so I told her I would check his schedule and call her back.  She told me she was on campus for a different matter this afternoon and could she see him then.

I said "I'm afraid that won't be possible.  He'll be out of the office all afternoon"
Applicant:  But I'll be here already.
Me:  I'm afraid that won't be possible.  He'll be out of the office all afternoon.  I'll check his schedule and call you back.

AD told me he'd have new dates for me tomorrow.  I called applicant and told her I'd call her tomorrow with new dates.  When I returned from lunch guess who was sitting outside his office?

I asked if I could help her (because I really didn't know who she was at the time) and she told me her name.  When I asked if she remembered me telling her he would be out of the office all afternoon she said "I figured I just come down and wait"

I responded "I'm afraid that won't be possible.  He's out for the entire afternoon and will not be back.  I will call you when he gives me the dates/times he can interview you.

All I kept thinking was "What part of no don't you understand?".  Sheesh!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Used This on a Clueless Applicant
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:14:25 PM »
Do you really want to hire this person?

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
Do you really want to hire this person?

Sorry, I should have mentioned these are applicants for a graduate degree program.  She was applying to be a student.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
Still...  if the program is hurting for applicants, in case why bother interviewing. 
I would say something to the AD.  Someone that can't comprehend No, even when not comprehending is of no advantage to them, would cause havoc in any long-term group setting.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »
Still...  if the program is hurting for applicants, in case why bother interviewing. 
I would say something to the AD.  Someone that can't comprehend No, even when not comprehending is of no advantage to them, would cause havoc in any long-term group setting.

An inability to follow simple directions is a big warning flag!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
But she's taking initiative  Dontcha know all the prestigious colleges want applicants who take initiative

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:55 PM »
But she's taking initiative  Dontcha know all the prestigious colleges want applicants who take initiative

You know, that's what I thought when I first read this, that this was probably her misguided way of showing how dedicated she was to getting into this program.  People have to learn that showing that you are eager is one thing, but you shouldn't be a nuisance.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:45:49 PM »

You know, that's what I thought when I first read this, that this was probably her misguided way of showing how dedicated she was to getting into this program.  People have to learn that showing that you are eager is one thing, but you shouldn't be a nuisance.

I agree. I think the applicant might have improved her chances by checking to see if she could be interviewed on that day, but then when she was told "sorry, no", she should have said "okay, thank you, when is the next time I can  come in?"  But she pushed it and lost her chance.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
This is such a pet peeve of mine.  There is so much horrible advice out there about appearing eager and putting yourself forward, but all they do is annoy the recruiters and hiring managers.

Failure to follow instructions and listen is a huge no-no.    I would have said to her "Well you'll be waiting a really long time!"  .... it's almost as if she thought you were lying about him being out and that you just meant he was kind of busy or something. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

whatsanenigma

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »
it's almost as if she thought you were lying about him being out and that you just meant he was kind of busy or something.

Or maybe she thought he was out but would come back in, set eyes on her and say "Oh, this is the perfect candidate! We must accept her application right away! And by the way, OP, you are fired because you didn't call me on my emergency cell phone and tell me to get back here to meet this wonderful candidate! Clean out your desk, and hey! Let's just give it to this candidate right now because she is so perfect, she needs to manage the whole program from the get go. How did we ever get along without her? I'm going to go get some really expensive wine and celebrate."

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
How dare AD be out all afternoon and not change his plans! After all, this applicant was already on campus! Why should she come back? OP, you dropped the ball. It was your duty to call AD and tell him to come back to campus.

Would it help if this applicant's mother called you on the phone and talked to you about it? I have heard that's the newest trend - having the student's parent get involved with their applications.

(End sarcasm)

mharbourgirl

• I am what I am, not what everyone wishes me to be
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 07:07:34 AM »
How dare AD be out all afternoon and not change his plans! After all, this applicant was already on campus! Why should she come back? OP, you dropped the ball. It was your duty to call AD and tell him to come back to campus.

Would it help if this applicant's mother called you on the phone and talked to you about it? I have heard that's the newest trend - having the student's parent get involved with their applications.

(End sarcasm)

*picks self up off the floor still giggling*

Dani, you owe me a new coffee.  And you owe both my primary monitor and my sinuses a serious apology, because owie and I've got a mess to clean up.  ;D

BeagleMommy

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 04:00:44 PM »
She called again today!  This time she wanted to know if the interview was really necessary since she already turned in her application and that meant she was accepted.  Right?  It was really hard not to laugh as I had to explain to her that the interview would determine if she was accepted or not.  Just filling out the application and sending your references, transcripts and resume didn't mean you were enrolled.

AD is seriously rolling his eyes right now.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
She's not just a snowflake, she's a slab avalanche!  I have a feeling this one may be a subject of future threads.

Did her application have a forceful meeting with a crosscut shredder? 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:11 PM »
She's not just a snowflake, she's a slab avalanche!  I have a feeling this one may be a subject of future threads.

Did her application have a forceful meeting with a crosscut shredder?

Oooohhhhh, don't give me any ideas  >:D.  I have a feeling, if she's accepted, she's going to be one of those students that makes everyone groan when they're name is mentioned.