Author Topic: Used This on a Clueless Applicant  (Read 17963 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: Used This on a Clueless Applicant
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
She called again today!  This time she wanted to know if the interview was really necessary since she already turned in her application and that meant she was accepted.  Right?  It was really hard not to laugh as I had to explain to her that the interview would determine if she was accepted or not.  Just filling out the application and sending your references, transcripts and resume didn't mean you were enrolled.

AD is seriously rolling his eyes right now.

I think she's right. The interview is no longer necessary. She's SUCH a special snowflake that I think her application should go into the reject pile right now. And I'm serious.

mharbourgirl, I'm glad I made you laugh! :D Sorry about your monitor and sinuses!

NyaChan

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »
Ok her latest thing is totally making my head hurt.  How can anyone possibly think that they have only to apply to get into a grad program??  Man oh man.

rain

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »
am I bad for wanting to hear more/future updates about "Snow Flake"?
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
Ok her latest thing is totally making my head hurt.  How can anyone possibly think that they have only to apply to get into a grad program??  Man oh man.

There are some universities/programs that don't require an interview for acceptance into graduate school. An interview might be recommended, but not required, or even not mentioned at all. This was the case for my Master's degree--I never set foot on campus until the first day of classes. I applied and sent in all the required paperwork, and a few months later received an acceptance letter.

But a wise applicant will know the requirements for every institution she is applying to, and keep them straight in her head, so as not to make embarrassing comments, or to reveal her own lapses in memory/judgement.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

NyaChan

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »

There are some universities/programs that don't require an interview for acceptance into graduate school. An interview might be recommended, but not required, or even not mentioned at all. This was the case for my Master's degree--I never set foot on campus until the first day of classes. I applied and sent in all the required paperwork, and a few months later received an acceptance letter.

But a wise applicant will know the requirements for every institution she is applying to, and keep them straight in her head, so as not to make embarrassing comments, or to reveal her own lapses in memory/judgement.

It would be different if she just didn't know this institution didn't have an interview requirement - this girl thought that turning in her application = accepted.

She called again today!  This time she wanted to know if the interview was really necessary since she already turned in her application and that meant she was accepted.  Right?  It was really hard not to laugh as I had to explain to her that the interview would determine if she was accepted or not.  Just filling out the application and sending your references, transcripts and resume didn't mean you were enrolled.

AD is seriously rolling his eyes right now.

I think she's right. The interview is no longer necessary. She's SUCH a special snowflake that I think her application should go into the reject pile right now. And I'm serious.

mharbourgirl, I'm glad I made you laugh! :D Sorry about your monitor and sinuses!

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 11:51:32 PM »

Well duh, because she wants to do the course obviously!   By completing the application she has notified them of her intention to do the course, so what else could possibly be necessary?   ;D   Which reminds me, I plan on intending Brad & Angelina's wedding, does anybody have their email address?  I just want to pop them a line with my RSVP yes.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 01:32:02 AM »

Well duh, because she wants to do the course obviously!   By completing the application she has notified them of her intention to do the course, so what else could possibly be necessary?   ;D   Which reminds me, I plan on intending Brad & Angelina's wedding, does anybody have their email address?  I just want to pop them a line with my RSVP yes.

Ooo! Ooo! I'll come with you! And bring my own Dom Perignon, even!  :P

Seriously, though, I think the OP has handled this Special Snowflake well.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

susantoyota

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
Which reminds me, I plan on intending Brad & Angelina's wedding, does anybody have their email address?  I just want to pop them a line with my RSVP yes.

Forget it. That doesn't work. I emailed William and Kate my RSVP--I wanted to go in order to laugh at Camilla--got to the church, and couldn't get in. >:(  Bloody Brits.

AustenFan

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
Please tell me you're filing her application in the pile of stuff to be shredded.  >:D

I too look forward to updates.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »
OP here.  The funny thing is that she is highly qualified for the program and has been accepted.  Assistant Director ended up doing a phone interview with her.  She hasn't sent in her confirmation deposit yet so she can't enroll until she does that.  I'll keep you posted.  I have a feeling she's going to be giving me lots of posts.

Reason

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 03:28:33 PM »
This reminded me of the story in "36 steps of shaolin"

The old master of the monastery is not accepting any more students, so all the boys that come and want to study from him are told no and turned away. Except one boy, who kneels on the bricks outside the temple and waits. The old master comes out every now and then and the boy is still waiting. It rains and gets very cold, but he still waits. For a week he waits without moving, refusing both food and water (it's a movie). until the master finally relents and invites the boy in and offers to teach him.

So maybe she was thinking of something along those lines :)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
This reminded me of the story in "36 steps of shaolin"

The old master of the monastery is not accepting any more students, so all the boys that come and want to study from him are told no and turned away. Except one boy, who kneels on the bricks outside the temple and waits. The old master comes out every now and then and the boy is still waiting. It rains and gets very cold, but he still waits. For a week he waits without moving, refusing both food and water (it's a movie). until the master finally relents and invites the boy in and offers to teach him.

So maybe she was thinking of something along those lines :)

What Reason and the movie left out is that the young boy drives the master insane with his crazy persistence! J/K

OP, I hope you don't have to deal with her anymore! I'd love to read entertaining posts about her, but I'd be happier if you didn't have to pull all of your hair out because of her antics in the future.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
How dare AD be out all afternoon and not change his plans! After all, this applicant was already on campus! Why should she come back? OP, you dropped the ball. It was your duty to call AD and tell him to come back to campus.

Would it help if this applicant's mother called you on the phone and talked to you about it? I have heard that's the newest trend - having the student's parent get involved with their applications.

(End sarcasm)

I worked at a college 30 years ago and this was the trend back then.

A coworker pointed out it was invariably mothers with sons.   I had to agree.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
OP here with an update.  Classes start for the fall August 30.  Many of the classes are close to filling (some have filled) and she has not sent her deposit to confirm her attendance.

Admissions has called her several times with no response.  After all the hoopla of showing up unannounced she has seemingly disappeared from the face of the earth.  Something tells me she will call a week after classes have started and be shocked that she can't enroll.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »
OP here with an update.  Classes start for the fall August 30.  Many of the classes are close to filling (some have filled) and she has not sent her deposit to confirm her attendance.

Admissions has called her several times with no response.  After all the hoopla of showing up unannounced she has seemingly disappeared from the face of the earth.  Something tells me she will call a week after classes have started and be shocked that she can't enroll.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but SS tend to behave SSy.... unfortunately they often confirm our initial first impression!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"