News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 03:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coupon etiquette  (Read 33518 times)

Piratelvr1121

Re: Coupon etiquette
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
And please understand, I'm not bashing anyone who uses coupons, because I use them too and if I can't find it in the paper, I go to Kitty Coupon Divas to print up more.  I love saving money and having a coupon to save even more and get annoyed if there's not a sale to pair my coupon with! LOL!

I just don't get anyone who talks about how much money they "saved" on things they bought that will never be used by anyone.  That's a waste of money and I tend to like to save $ on groceries so that it can be spent elsewhere.  I have a grocery budget of $175 a week and I absolutely LOVE getting a full cart for $130.  It's awesome cause it means that $25 can be saved up or used on something else.

Frequently my Weis will print out coupons that I end up not using because they pick up what things I buy and brands I buy the most of, but sometimes they'll give me coupons on Pepsi even though I only buy Coke products at that store.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AustenFan

« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
You never came across as bashing at all.

I agree, if you're buying stuff you will never use you're just wasting money. If you're not going to use it you need an 'exit strategy' for what you buy, otherwise they stereotype that extreme couponers are just organized hoarders becomes correct.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »
Ok, cool.

I used to go round and round with a former acquaintance about coupon usage.  I'd be making the same points I am in this thread that coupon usage only makes sense when one is using coupons for what they will actually use. (or donate).  The more I argued that point, the more condescending she'd get that I must not understand how to use coupons or get the most out of them in order to really save money. 

I finally one day said "Look, I get it.  You have a coupon for a dollar off two boxes of Orville Redenbacher's.  You use it in conjunction with a BOGO sale, that means you are saving yourself the cost of one box, plus the dollar you're saving on one box.  So...$5 all told?  But what if NO ONE in your house can or will eat popcorn but you buy it anyway? You're not saving money!"

Then she proceeded to talk to me like I was a 5 year old who didn't get the idea of pairing a coupon with a sale, after I demonstrated my understanding of it.

It's not etiquette approved I'm sure, but I threw up my hands in an "I give up" gesture and walked away.  So glad I don't have to deal with her anymore!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:30:18 PM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

dawbs

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
Ok, cool.

I used to go round and round with a former acquaintance about coupon usage.  I'd be making the same points I am in this thread that coupon usage only makes sense when one is using coupons for what they will actually use. (or donate).  The more I argued that point, the more condescending she'd get that I must not understand how to use coupons or get the most out of them in order to really save money. 

I finally one day said "Look, I get it.  You have a coupon for a dollar off two boxes of Orville Redenbacher's.  You use it in conjunction with a BOGO sale, that means you are saving yourself $5 (pretending normally the popcorn costs $4).  But what if NO ONE in your house can or will eat popcorn but you buy it anyway? You're not saving money!"

Then she proceeded to talk to me like I was a 5 year old who didn't get the idea of pairing a coupon with a sale, after I demonstrated my understanding of it.

It's not etiquette approved I'm sure, but I threw up my hands in an "I give up" gesture and walked away.  So glad I don't have to deal with her anymore!
I've had that conversation w/ a normally intelligent person about brand stuff.

OtherPerson:  I saved $47 on groceries
Me:  How nice (trying not to look suspicious) *helping to unpack groceries*
OtherPerson:  You should go buy *namebrand* yogurt...with the online coupon and the sale, it's only 67c per container.
Me:  But I buy *storebrand* yogurt, which is 50c per container
OtherPerson:  But *namebrand* is 50c off per container
me:  Right, but since I buy *storebrand*, it would cost me 17c MORE per container than I normally pay.   (actually, I buy the big container of *storebrand* and put it in re=usable containers, so it's more like 30c per serving--more like it would cost me 37c per serving more)
Other person:  You could save so much with coupons, I could help you
*giving up*

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
Well the Orville Redenbacher was an example cause it was the first thing that came to mind cause I am eating some. LOL.  It's something we get every week and I was stoked one week to have a coupon and a 2/$5 sale. :D

I posted another example with this woman in the brain hurt thread. It was one subject she would not let go and brought it up with me every chance she got.

I coupon now but she put me off the whole idea for a very long time.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
I wish I knew where people get those deals on diapers!  I was working on couponing for a while, then took a break when we moved, but even with coupons, the cheap brand or off-brand diapers were cheaper than the name-brand ones, and there were only ever coupons on name-brand ones.  Maybe the fact that I don't really look at drugstores is what's hurting me?  Are they the only ones that have awesome sales on diapers?  It's just hard enough to get out to run errands already with three little ones to buckle in and out of carseats, so it's not worth it to me to go to a lot of different stores, which probably really limits me, coupon-wise.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

AustenFan

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2012, 07:15:02 PM »
MommyPenguin, where are you? Maybe one of the local coupon boards can help...if you are in Canada I know a great one.  >:D

Jaelle

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »
I have never heard of a store accepting expired coupons; who does that?

As to that, it would be enormously helpful if the media that prints coupons would make the expiration dates more readable.  Whether that means using a font that is easily read of a certain minimum size, and in ink dark enough to contrast with the paper.   It is embarrassing to try to use a coupon you think is good only to discover it expired yesterday.

I'm not at work today; when I go in, I'll ask the production department.

But I think that the coupons are sent to the newspaper as a "done deal" by other companies. We cannot tinker with type or fonts.  (Can you tell I've gotten that phone call? ;) Spent far too long on the line trying to explain this to a fellow who existed that since it was in the paper, we had to be able to change it.)

Perhaps production will know who people can contact to request changes. I will ask.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites