A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Jeans/sneakers in Europe?

(1/12) > >>

afbluebelle:
Can someone explain the whole "jeans and sneakers will make people think you aren't European thing" in Europe. As I've never stepped foot on real European soil (but lots of airports), I would like to hear more on this subject. I'm pretty easy to spot as an American in airports... something about the U.S. Air Force label on my chest.  :P

Irishkitty:
I haven't head of that. I was wearing jeans and runners (trainers/sneakers) yesterday and I'm 100% European. In fact the majority of people wear them as an everyday and or weekend casual look.

When I see people wearing jeans, white socks and black shoes I think "American!". (Though this may be just on TV and I'm coloured by 1990's shows such as 90210) Or I see two people walking down the street in matching rain jackets & baseball caps (generally with a map and or camera) I think "tourists, probably American"...

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: Irishkitty on April 20, 2012, 09:52:09 AM ---I haven't head of that. I was wearing jeans and runners (trainers/sneakers) yesterday and I'm 100% European. In fact the majority of people wear them as an everyday and or weekend casual look.

When I see people wearing jeans, white socks and black shoes I think "American!". (Though this may be just on TV and I'm coloured by 1990's shows such as 90210) Or I see two people walking down the street in matching rain jackets & baseball caps (generally with a map and or camera) I think "tourists, probably American"...

--- End quote ---

When we're in Europe we've found that jeans and sneakers are popular with tourists from all countries.  After all, if you live in Scotland and you're visiting London on holiday you almost certainly won't be wearing a business suit and heels for sightseeing.  You'll dress up a bit better to go to dinner  but respectable comfort is the first consideration. 

I do agree that a baseball cap from the Bay Ridge Memorial Day parade teamed with a map and a camera could be a give-away.

agentsmith:
I spend about a month every other year in various European countries.  IME, many, many people just out and about will be in jeans.  Sneakers too, but solid dark colors, low cut,  and much sleeker than the stereotypical white walking sneaker of American tourists.  One thing I've noticed is that young Euro women are likely to wear casual knee-length skirts/dresses with their sneakers. 

Sophia:
The jeans/sneakers are different.  Maybe it is the way they are worn.  But in Europe I can tell at a glance whether or not a person wearing jeans/sneakers is American. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version