Author Topic: Jeans/sneakers in Europe?  (Read 11069 times)

Reason

Re: Jeans/sneakers in Europe?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
Why try to hide the fact that you are American though? I think as long as you are not doing something like wearing a thong into the Notre Dame, you can wear whatever you want.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »
To some degree I try to follow the philosophy of 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do.' Of course, the minute anyone hears my accent they'll have me pegged as American so it's a mix of being respectful of the local culture and doing what I need to do to enjoy my vacation.  :)

ETA: I'm also a little paranoid about the 'ugly American' stereotype.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:46:23 PM by AfleetAlex »
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Reason

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
That presumes that everyone in rome is the same. Which is not anymore the case in europe than it is in America.

AfleetAlex

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »
No, that's true. It's a balance - I'm not hiding who I am but I'm not running around shrieking it either.  ;D

I am, however, hoping at least a few people ask where I'm from so I can - as a Michigander - do the whole 'hold up my hand as the shape of my state' thing. We're quite proud of that! ;)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
No, that's true. It's a balance - I'm not hiding who I am but I'm not running around shrieking it either.  ;D

I am, however, hoping at least a few people ask where I'm from so I can - as a Michigander - do the whole 'hold up my hand as the shape of my state' thing. We're quite proud of that! ;)

Another 'gander here! It's one way you can tell someone's from MI; we all know the routine.  :)

AfleetAlex

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
And with the other hand you can do the Upper Peninsula!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
And with the other hand you can do the Upper Peninsula!

Try that with any other state!  :)

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »
As I said I live in Germany.  This morning I took the cat to the vet, and there were nine people in the waiting room.  Six of them were wearing jeans, also those six were wearing sneakers of some variety.  Ages ranged, I would guess, from late 20s to mid-60s.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »

----  snip ----
BTW, when I was in N. Ireland the natives could tell I was American by one trait: my teeth.  ;D

Jaxsue, I read your post yesterday, and have been wondering about this since then. What is it about your teeth that you're immediately, correctly identified as an American?

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »
Why try to hide the fact that you are American though? I think as long as you are not doing something like wearing a thong into the Notre Dame, you can wear whatever you want.

When my choir was in a different country, our choir director had rules about what we could and could not wear. She didn't want people thinking we were American, because some pickpocket might try to rob us, or worse.

I, however, take precautions, but I don't assume someone's going to rob me.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Redsoil

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »

----  snip ----
BTW, when I was in N. Ireland the natives could tell I was American by one trait: my teeth.  ;D

Jaxsue, I read your post yesterday, and have been wondering about this since then. What is it about your teeth that you're immediately, correctly identified as an American?

On a guess, I'd say it's because many Americans have had their teeth straightened/capped and/or bleached!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Teenyweeny

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »

----  snip ----

On a guess, I'd say it's because many Americans have had their teeth straightened/capped and/or bleached!

IME, those Americans who can afford  (or who are insured for) dental treatment that is purely cosmetic in nature will do it. In the UK, people want their teeth to be white, but not that bright white Hollywood smile. Similarly, people who have very slightly crooked teeth probably won't bother to get them fixed.

Interestingly, the whole thing about British teeth being bad is a myth. Statistically, the British have the healthiest teeth in the world (http://www.economist.com/node/15060097). It's just that cosmetic dentistry isn't such a big thing here.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »

----  snip ----

I thought it was an odd thing, because I saw people with nice teeth in N. Ireland. The "British have bad teeth" thing, I just didn't see it. It's just what some people said to me. So, I'm a bit mystified as well. *FTR, I have simply been blessed with perfect teeth. I've never had braces, or had them bleached or capped.

*It's a good thing I naturally had good teeth, because my parents didn't have dental insurance when I was a kid. Treatments were hit-and-miss.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »
I'm glad that you have good teeth.  ;D    I was watching an episode of "Undercover Boss: International" on TV the other day. The CEO of Isuzu England (?) went undercover and she was talking to a young woman who was going beyond what was excepted of her. The young woman's one tooth was crooked just like mine is. My parents couldn't afford braces for me when I was younger, and DH and I couldn't afford them for me either.

NestHolder

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

----  snip ----

I thought it was an odd thing, because I saw people with nice teeth in N. Ireland. The "British have bad teeth" thing, I just didn't see it. It's just what some people said to me. So, I'm a bit mystified as well. *FTR, I have simply been blessed with perfect teeth. I've never had braces, or had them bleached or capped.

*It's a good thing I naturally had good teeth, because my parents didn't have dental insurance when I was a kid. Treatments were hit-and-miss.

I've always been mystified by the 'British teeth' thing, because dental care was free for children when I, and my children, were growing up.  I'm not sure whether that's still true, but I do know that my regular inspections cost very little, and that cost has never been a factor in deciding whether to go to the dentist.  Which as far as I can tell is most certainly not the case in the USA.  Now, we don't tend to bother with cosmetic improvements - my husband's teeth are strong and healthy but a little bit crooked - so presumably that's the 'problem'.