Author Topic: Jeans/sneakers in Europe?  (Read 12315 times)

NestHolder

Re: Jeans/sneakers in Europe?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »

I really like this point.  I think European's also take longer vacations and at a slower pace than US citizens (not saying American's because I'm not sure about Candadians). 
Example:  My family will be in London in a couple of months.  My boss lives in the UK and I was discussing some of our itiniery.  I told him about one day where we plan to start the day at about 8am and do 3 tourist attractions outside of London, each averaging about 3 hours each with a hour travel time between each.  He laughed because the idea of having a 14 hour day of sight seeing seemed exhausting.  He and his family would never plan that much stuff in one day.  But who wants to waste a day of vacation sleeping in and hanging out around a hotel.  I can do that at home.

Dear Hmmmmm - I'm intrigued by what you are planning to do on your exhausting day.  I can certainly think of some options (eg Hever Castle plus Winston Churchill's home - Chartwell, I think it's called, and I'm sure there must be something else in the vicinity), but I'd love to know what you are planning!  Mind you, I don't think I'd have the stamina—I recently visited Portsmouth, and went to look around the HMS Warrior, HMS Victory, and the Mary Rose Museum.  All fascinating stuff, but my feet and back were very glad there was a boat trip around the harbour thrown into the mix, as the 'tourist shuffle' of slow walk + stand and look is hard work.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
Nestholder, I just saw your question.  We are starting the morning at Stonehenge, then off for a few hours at Windsor castle, and ending the day at the last tour time at Harry Potter studio tour.

Anniissa

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Nestholder, I just saw your question.  We are starting the morning at Stonehenge, then off for a few hours at Windsor castle, and ending the day at the last tour time at Harry Potter studio tour.

Well that will certainly quite a day - I don't envy you the driving (I presume you're driving), particularly down to Stonehenge as the traffic on that road is a nightmare in the summer. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and be at a quiet time but otherwise the roads round there tend to get so snarled up that you spend about an hour just travelling a mile or two at times. I do hope you can fit it all in but it does seem quite a lot to get in in the time - unless you are starting off right by Stonehenge (I just realised I'd assumed a starting point near London but that may well not be the case).

SassafrasT

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
This is such an interesting topic, I just took a trip to Paris and Stockholm and the thing that stressed me out the most was finding shoes that were comfortable enough to walk a lot but not be my white tennis shoes.  Well, I tried several pairs and nothing worked, so I ended up wearing the white sneakers, and it was funny, it didn't matter one bit. 

Other people in Paris had white sneakers on and if they "knew" I was an American by wearing those, oh well.  We walked a lot, and I wouldn't have made it without the white sneakers.  I did take a pair of sandals for a nice dinner out.

Ereine

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »
I've heard that Americans walk very little on average (I think I read that was something like a quarter of a mile a day) so maybe it's natural that they don't own other comfortable shoes, only the white sneakers (or do they?). All my shoes are chosen to be good for walking, I may be a little unusual in that but I think that Finns tend to be quite practical about shoes and value comfort over style. So all my shoes could be taken on a vacation where I have to walk a lot.

I was also thinking about the longer vacations Europeans have. I don't know about other countries but here I don't think that it's very common to spend all of your vacation traveling, I think that most people only go for a week or two even if their summer vacation is five weeks. 

NestHolder

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »

Cool.  I love Stonehenge.  (But are you also going to Salisbury?  I love to recommend the cathedral's Tower Tour, which takes you up into the roof and the tower of the building, and is fascinating.  If you are overnighting near Stonehenge, perhaps you can take in the cathedral on the previous day?)

Beware of the M25, though.  It almost always takes longer than you would reckon, on a normal working day, to get round the western side of the motorway, because there is so much traffic for the M40, M4 and Heathrow.

I admire your stamina—I don't envy your feet!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »

Well that will certainly quite a day - I don't envy you the driving (I presume you're driving), particularly down to Stonehenge as the traffic on that road is a nightmare in the summer. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and be at a quiet time but otherwise the roads round there tend to get so snarled up that you spend about an hour just travelling a mile or two at times. I do hope you can fit it all in but it does seem quite a lot to get in in the time - unless you are starting off right by Stonehenge (I just realised I'd assumed a starting point near London but that may well not be the case).

Our plan was to stay the night before with friends fairly close to Stonehenge.  But as of this weekend, we've end up having to cancel our trip to Europe because of some other committments.  So if you know anyone wanting a family pack of Harry Potter tour tickets, let me know.

Anniissa

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 07:31:16 AM »

Our plan was to stay the night before with friends fairly close to Stonehenge.  But as of this weekend, we've end up having to cancel our trip to Europe because of some other committments.  So if you know anyone wanting a family pack of Harry Potter tour tickets, let me know.

Sorry to hear you've had to cancel. I hope that you will be able to come over and enjoy your trip another time. I don't know anyone I'm afraid but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone very thrilled to take the tickets off your hands.

Honeypickle

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »
With regards the earlier posts, British teeth tend to look a lot yellower than American teeth I think!

And the jeans/sneakers, very few grown ups here (UK) would wear trainers regularly unless going jogging or were about to do some form of exercise.

However, if I were to see anyone wearing double denim (denim jacket with jeans), I would assume they were European not English, and most likely German.

NestHolder

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »
With regards the earlier posts, British teeth tend to look a lot yellower than American teeth I think!

And the jeans/sneakers, very few grown ups here (UK) would wear trainers regularly unless going jogging or were about to do some form of exercise.

However, if I were to see anyone wearing double denim (denim jacket with jeans), I would assume they were European not English, and most likely German.

Re the teeth - when I was a teenager and watched Top of the Pops with the rest of the boarders in my house, on one glorious occasion, someone fiddled with the contrast on the telly while The Osmonds were on.  Get it dark enough and you do, indeed, see five sets of gleaming teeth and nothing else.

I don't know about the trainers thing - I wear them practically all the time, my husband wears his when we go out anywhere that isn't smart, and... well, that's true of lots of people, isn't it?  Perhaps the difference for tourists is that they are *tourists*, whether they're Americans in Europe or Europeans in the US.  As tourists, you're at leisure, whereas people who're in their home country may well be going to work, and thus a bit smarter.

NestHolder

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:58 AM »

What a shame!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
I've heard that Americans walk very little on average (I think I read that was something like a quarter of a mile a day) so maybe it's natural that they don't own other comfortable shoes, only the white sneakers (or do they?). All my shoes are chosen to be good for walking, I may be a little unusual in that but I think that Finns tend to be quite practical about shoes and value comfort over style. So all my shoes could be taken on a vacation where I have to walk a lot.

I was also thinking about the longer vacations Europeans have. I don't know about other countries but here I don't think that it's very common to spend all of your vacation traveling, I think that most people only go for a week or two even if their summer vacation is five weeks.

This really depends on where people live. NYers, for example, walk a lot - it's not uncommon for people to not even own a car in the city, plus mass transit is pretty good. When I go to NYC (I live 30 miles from) I can easily walk several miles on days I go there. TBH, I don't even feel it. But I love to walk. I live in a NJ town and walk as much as I can; I can do most errands without driving, and on those days I can do a couple of miles, easily.

Now, in some suburbs some people have no choice but to hop in their cars to do any errands (one huge flaw in the design, IMHO).

That doesn't mean people can't get out to exercise; they need to prioritize. Lack of exercise is bad, of course, and part of the health problems we face as a nation.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »
I'm glad that you have good teeth.  ;D    I was watching an episode of "Undercover Boss: International" on TV the other day. The CEO of Isuzu England (?) went undercover and she was talking to a young woman who was going beyond what was excepted of her. The young woman's one tooth was crooked just like mine is. My parents couldn't afford braces for me when I was younger, and DH and I couldn't afford them for me either.

I have good teeth, but I'm carrying about 25 extra pounds. There's always something!  :)