Author Topic: Surrealism in Travel  (Read 4763 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Surrealism in Travel
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »

When we first visited Italy our plane landed in Turin and we were to board another plane for a flight to Genoa.  For one reason or another the flight was cancelled and our group was put on a comfortable bus for the journey.  The trip was longer than expected but turned out to be delightful. We got to see a nice bit of the Italian countryside but the best part may well have been the radio.

The driver was listening to a program that featured the Australian band 'Men At Work'. In between songs there were interviews with the band members. The show might have been dubbed but it was interesting to hear these men speaking almost perfect Italian as the bus made it's way through charming villages and farmland.  we enjoyed our first look at Italy.  we certainly enjoyed the music.

We had another moment in Barcelona. We were on our early morning way to an ATM when we met the entire Gryffindor Quidditch team in full kit.  Please know, these were not small children in Halloween costumes. They were adults and their costumes must have cost a pretty penny.  They even had appropriate brooms. 

If you've ever had fun or interesting surrealism happen in your travels, please post so that everyone can enjoy your stories.     

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Surrealism in Travel
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
My husband and I were driving back from the city to our rural community...it's about a 3 hour drive...and it was late at night as we drove the winding road with forests on each side.
Then we both realized that we were farther along the road than we should have been...it was like we lost time.  Weird.  We know we had not fallen asleep or anything.  A little of the twilight zone, we think...do-do-do-do...do-do-do-do...do-do-do-do...
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bethczar

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »
I was in Vegas, on of the bridges that cross over the Strip, when I saw a Mennonite couple coming from the opposite direction.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »
I was in Vegas, on of the bridges that cross over the Strip, when I saw a Mennonite couple coming from the opposite direction.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...

Oddly enough, we have a Mennonite story too.

We were doing back-to-back crossings.  We took  the QM2 from NYC and the QE2 back.  On board the QM2 was a group of three Mennonites.  They were almost certainly a sister and her two brothers.  All appeared to be in their 20s. 

Okay, there were any number of reasons they were going to England.  The surprise was when we boarded the QE2 and, there they were.

Of course, there was no reason why they shouldn't be.  It just seemed odd because, while you see all sorts of interesting people on ships, this was our first and last Mennonite sighting.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
My DH ran the Hamburg Marathon a number of years ago. I went along for the sightseeing before and after the event as well as moral support.

One of the other runners was a Bavarian chicken (i.e. somebody wearing a chicken costume with a blue and white diamond check tabard).  The chicken finished the marathon.  There were a number of others wearing costumes during the marathon but that chicken was particularly memorable.
The days are long but the years are short.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
Dh and I went to Mexico one year for a dive vacation.  We were stowing our gear on the boat the first morning and came face to face with the guy who taught me to dive here at home a few years earlier.  It was one of those "I know who you are but what are you doing HERE?" moments.  But it turned into a super fun vacation.  He was with a group and we all hung out together that week.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
We were on the QE2 on our way back to NYC.  It was during the standard safety drill before sailing. 

We reported to a lounge and were directed to 'fill in all seats, please'.  I never even noticed who was on the other side and was talking to Mr. Thipu.  All of a sudden, I heard a voice calling my name.  The lady sitting on my other side was someone we knew from the neighborhood.  What are the odds of that?

magicdomino

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »
While I was in Cusco, Peru, I spent a rainy afternoon in an Irish pub filled with Australians.  Just one of the reasons that I love being a tourist.   :)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
I was attacked by Mothra is Japan.

Actually it was just a very big moth(that's Simkin's hand, for scale).
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 06:07:06 PM »
20 years ago, when he was 17, my little brother spent a year in Thailand as an exchange student.
The exchange was organized by Rotary International.

Fast forward 10 years...

Little brother is now grown up, married and a Dad - and a member of Rotary International.
He recently went to their world convention.

Which is held in Thailand.
Where he was able to meet up with his host families from 20 years ago!
How cool is that?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »
A few years ago we traveled with my in-laws to MIL's home country.  While there, lugging around suitcases looking for our hotel, another tourist family spoke to us in a language we did not know.  MIL finally decided to speak to them in French, her third language, to help them out.  So we were from one country, visiting another, and they were using yet another to converse. 

That rarely happens in America!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
Growing up, my family and I went to a huge amusement park nearly every summer. One year while waiting in line for the flume ride, we saw two nuns on the ride going down the big hill. Splash!

And it's not unusual to see a few Mennonites at this park.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:43:51 PM by hermanne »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »
A few years ago we traveled with my in-laws to MIL's home country.  While there, lugging around suitcases looking for our hotel, another tourist family spoke to us in a language we did not know.  MIL finally decided to speak to them in French, her third language, to help them out.  So we were from one country, visiting another, and they were using yet another to converse. 

That rarely happens in America!

Actually, this can happen more than we might think. 

Not long ago, there was a man who seemed about to kill himself by jumping off a bridge.  He only spoke Chinese and the police summoned an officer who spoke Chinese.  As it happened, the officer came from the same province as the would-be suicide.  They could understand each other perfectly. 

A disaster was averted.  Things like this do happen in America.     

Shopaholic

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »
Growing up, my family and I went to a huge amusement park nearly every summer. One year while waiting in line for the flume ride, we saw two nuns on the ride going down the big hill. Splash!

Not abroad but still surreal - a group of nuns in full, flowing attire lugging  a BBQ to a picnic.

shadowfox79

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
Not surreal so much as coincidental.

DH and I were in New York City for a week in November last year. We took a lot of photos, many of which were uploaded to Facebook each evening on the hotel wi-fi.

Mid-week I got an email from an old schoolfriend I hadn't seen in ten years. Turned out she was living on the upper east side. Quite something given we're both from the UK.

So I spent our last morning in NYC meeting her for breakfast in a cafe. A nice surprise!