Author Topic: She earned some extra points today when we exchanged phone numbers.  (Read 7569 times)

Mr Hero

A little bit of background.  My church meetings are 3 hours long with the entire congregation meeting all together in the first hour, Sunday School classes divided by age group during the second hour, and men and women's classes the third, with short breaks between to socialize a bit.

During the break between the first and second meeting, I went and said hi to a few people I knew.  One was fairly new to the area, but I had seen her before.  We ended up chatting the entire time.  By the time Sunday School begins, she asks if she could sit next to me.  I, of course, had no objections.

After the class was over, she asked me if I text.  I said that I do.  Then she asked this question (finally what was promised in the topic title!) if there was a limit on my texts.  Nice!  You showed consideration for other people's text plans even though you have unlimited.  I also have unlimited, but still, she gets points for asking, right?

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
Re: She earned some extra points today when we exchanged phone numbers.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
Yes, she does. She sounds like a nice, considerate lady.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:20:13 PM »
Very nice!
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Harriet

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »
Definite points! I wish more people would think to ask this question!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »

Huh... it never would occur to me to ask about someone's phone plan. I mean I do see how it could be considerate, but I think there are lots of times it would just be odd. I know if someone asked me if I had unlimited texting I would think we were having a conversation about phones, which yeah I've had plenty of conversations about phones (iPhone, Droid, BB, razors, bluetooth, keyboards, etc) and service providers, but never as part of flirting. Or if it was flirting I think I'd be thinking whoa how much do you plan to text me? What am I getting myself into here?.

Obviously it worked in this situation :), but I don't know it should be a standard.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:34:09 AM by WillyNilly »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »

Huh... it never would occur to me to ask about someone's phone plan. I mean I do see how it could be considerate, but I think there are lots of times it would just be odd. I know if someone asked me if I had unlimited texting I would think we were having a conversation about phones, which yeah I've had plenty of conversations about phones (iPhone, Droid, BB, razors, bluetooth, keyboards, etc) and service providers, but never as part of flirting. Or if it was flirting I think I'd be thinking whoa how much do you plan to text me? What am I getting myself into here?.

Obviously it worked in this situation :), but I don't know it should be a standard.

I think she was nice for asking, but I probably wouldn't have, either.  I think the onus would be on the other person to tell me they have limited texting, kind of like if you (general) have a severe allergy you should probably ask if it is in something before you eat it.  If you (general) have restrictions, you should let other people know and not expect them to intuit it or think to ask about it; but she was definitely nice to ask.  I don't know that should be a standard either, WillyNilly.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mr Hero

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 05:45:11 AM »
In my original post, I got caught up in the excitement of this and failed to mention we exchanged numbers right after she asked me if I text.  Therefore, I don't feel that her asking about my text plan was intrusive.  I also agree that a person who has limited texts carries that responsibility to make that clear to whoever texts.  However, I'm certainly not going to complain when she's the one who asks me about it first.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 05:53:41 AM »
In my original post, I got caught up in the excitement of this and failed to mention we exchanged numbers right after she asked me if I text.  Therefore, I don't feel that her asking about my text plan was intrusive.  I also agree that a person who has limited texts carries that responsibility to make that clear to whoever texts.  However, I'm certainly not going to complain when she's the one who asks me about it first.

Exactly.  Delightful surprises are just that, delightful!  Here's to you making a new friend! *hear hear!*
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

O'Dell

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:07:33 AM »
I'm with willyNilly that I don't think asking needs to be SOP. I think in your case Mr Hero it's a good sign that the 2 of you are on the same wavelength. :)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »
I never assume to text someone without first asking.  I woulfnt ask about their plan.   Although texting is more the norm now, i have a griend who doesn't text bc she is grandfathered into a plan that doesn't include it.  She does get texts from ppl and she tells them not to.  Since texting is pretty standard with plans, I dont think it is unreasonable to expect someone can receive them. 

NyaChan

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:34:05 AM »
Or if it was flirting I think I'd be thinking whoa how much do you plan to text me? What am I getting myself into here?.

haha that is EXACTLY what I was thinking!  In this situation, I think it made more sense and was very considerate, but in general, I would be a little worried I'd picked up a frugal stalker  ;)

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »
I don't have texting on my phone, so I would have answered no to the first question. It's a nice thought, but it feels a bit redundant. But, if someone had a limited number I could see it being a nice thing to do.

I think this is a "it's nice, but it doesn't mean anything if they don't." But, it does seem you have met a thoughtful person.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »
I agree that it was very thoughtful of her to ask.  I do text, but it costs me money and so I don't like to.  Regardless, I have friends who insist on carrying on entire conversations by text even though I have told them I do not have free or unlimited texting.  They get quite annoyed when I just don't answer.  But, I just don't bother answering after a while.  My cell phone is pay-as-you-go for emergency use and I try keep the cost under $100/year.

In your shoes, I would have appreciated the question as it shows thoughtfulness.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
VorGuy had an issue where a long term house guest (usually referred to as Quasi-Foster Son - GFS) stayed with us and we added another line to our cell phone plan (discounted to less than $10 a month).  We were grandfathered and had no texting on the plan............

Someone stalked QSF to the tune of 150 or 200 texts in a few days (less than a week) while he was asking her to quit because it wasn't "his" phone...................so it was on our bill...................and QSF was jobhunting, so no funds to pay the charges.  We added text blocking to that plan - then found out that adding another line had also ended our grandfathered rate plan so the bill was going up, even without the texts coming in that month............ 

We no longer have service with that company - but VorGuy doesn't LIKE texting (the bill left a bad taste in his mouth, as it were), so we still don't have a phone plan with texting included.

I get aggravated when a local medical provider (eye doctor?) keeps texting me about same day appointment availability - because I am paying for those texts and they aren't "listening" when I ask to be removed from the auto-text list.  The voice over cable modem number is going to be replacing my cell phone number - even if there is a chance that we drop that service when the contract runs out about the time school starts this fall..........just to avoid the texting issue.

Having someone double check that their plans to text you aren't going to kick you into a larger bill is a great idea.

A relative had a neighbor with unlimited texting who was bombarding her with text after text after text - apparently because they could do in on an unlimited plan - she had to tell them that SHE had only 300 texts a month on her plan - which she needed to stay in touch with her spouse (both working, they have a baby, and he's in school - so very busy - texts wait for you even when phone calls can't be answered).  So - please limit the texts to her to an emergency (house on fire, car accident in neighborhood, dog got loose from back yard - something that she NEEDED to know about - and not "it's midnight and I want to chat even if your alarm clock goes off at 4 am so you can get to work" - because the neighbor wasn't going to have to get up at 4 am!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:43:31 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
I love this & think she's considerate for at least bringing it up.