Author Topic: shades of "letting them know you can hear them"  (Read 5483 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
shades of "letting them know you can hear them"
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »
Sometimes when people have loud neighbors, one suggestion for getting them to tone it down that I've seen is to approach them about the *substance* of their fight/conversation/whatever.

Today, scrolling through old posts on Failbook, I found this one:

http://failbook.failblog.org/2012/04/19/funny-facebook-fails-youre-right-megan-could-totally-do-better/

It's very funny. A definite violation of the "no eavesdropping" rule, which is, "of course you can hear them--and you can listen all you want. You just can't ever let anyone know that you did."

ettiquit

Re: shades of "letting them know you can hear them"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
That is awesome.

A forgivable etiquette faux pas, I hope?

weschicky

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
They're both in the wrong (you shouldn't eavesdrop, and you shouldn't read over people's shoulders) but in this case, it totally makes a right. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »
A creative way to tell people to shut up in class. I don't consider it eavesdropping when you are trapped in a situation were the other person can clearly see you. Add in the fact that the LW was paying to learn from the professor not listen to the other students gossip, the LW found an polite, nondisruptive way to tell the gossipers to be quiet.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Quesselin

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »
Well, does it really count as eavesdropping when you can't *help* overhearing what they're talking about? Either way, very funny  ;D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:56:43 AM »
A creative way to tell people to shut up in class. I don't consider it eavesdropping when you are trapped in a situation were the other person can clearly see you. Add in the fact that the LW was paying to learn from the professor not listen to the other students gossip, the LW found an polite, nondisruptive way to tell the gossipers to be quiet.

I agree, a lot.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MerryCat

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:09:18 AM »
I love that! I know it's rude to let on that you're evesdropping, but on the other hand those girls were disrupting the poster's ability to study in a class they paid for.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 01:27:56 AM »
I don't consider it evesdropping.  These girls shouldn't be talking in a public place where they are supposed to be quiet. They have no right to expect that other people will not listen to what they are saying.

If someone is having a private conversation, yeah, you shouldn't listen in.  But, when you have no choice?

Alpacas

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
I don't consider it evesdropping.  These girls shouldn't be talking in a public place where they are supposed to be quiet. They have no right to expect that other people will not listen to what they are saying.

POD

I never understood how someone should be able to not listen if someone is talking right next to you, or is talking rather loudly.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »

POD

I never understood how someone should be able to not listen if someone is talking right next to you, or is talking rather loudly.

I will park my pod right here, too.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »

Yep, this. He's a captive audience who needs to hear his professor, not chatty people discussing their friends.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:05 PM »

POD

POD. I sometimes feel like saying, "I have ears you know."