Author Topic: Asking Friends For Money  (Read 4779 times)

takeheart

Asking Friends For Money
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:50:11 AM »
This isn't a question, but a story...

We went to visit BIL this past weekend for a running event. We being me, DH, FIL, Sister, Sister's Husband, Friend #1, and Friend #2. BIL's girlfriend (BILsGF) was joining us too. From the first time I met, BILsGF, I wasn't too fond of her. She didn't do anything wrong exactly, but her behavior struck me as odd—she never asked anyone questions though we asked her questions for conversation sake, she insisted that restaurants she had been to had the best this and that of whatever we ordered, etc. I summed it up to a clash of personality and still gave her the benefit of the doubt ...until this weekend. After the run, as everyone was looking at their scores, I saw Friend #1 give her money. I found out later that she had asked BIL for cash. He didn't have any on him, so she asked our friends if they had any money. Some of these friends she was meeting for the first time! Friend #1 handed her $20 under the premise of it being a loan because he thought maybe she didn't want to pay the ATM fees. I thought she needed the money for an emergency. However, we were both wrong. She was literally just asking for money, and what did she need it for? Beer and a souvenir tank top! When BIL told her that Friend #1 was expecting to be paid back, she said that she thought it was "whatever." Later, we found out she also asked Friend #2 for money and he gave her $10 thinking that it too was a loan because who asks for money from people they just met?! To top it off, when she was given $20 from Friend #1, instead of saying, "Thank you," she said, "Sweet!" and took off. By the end of the weekend, they broke up (surprisingly, not over that) and BIL felt bad about the money, so he cut them both a check for what she was given. I have a feeling this wasn't her first time asking for money...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:41:29 PM by takeheart »

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Asking Friends For Money
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
Well, if that lesson ended costing him $30, sounds to as if it were money well-spent.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »
Well, if that lesson ended costing him $30, sounds to as if it were money well-spent.

Ha ha this is what Judge Judy always says! If your BIL's only out $30 to be rid of this woman, then he should consider himself lucky! Your BIL did the honourable thing by repaying his friends back. This ex-girlfriend sounds ghastly! Who asks people they've only met for two seconds for money thats not for an emergency?

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »

Ha ha this is what Judge Judy always says! If your BIL's only out $30 to be rid of this woman, then he should consider himself lucky! Your BIL did the honourable thing by repaying his friends back. This ex-girlfriend sounds ghastly! Who asks people they've only met for two seconds for money thats not for an emergency?

Someone who's immature and entitled.