Author Topic: FB friend had a joke on his thread-how badly did I overreact?  (Read 2579 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Hi, all:

For BG: DH is recovering from his accident, although he still needs a lot of support and help.  I've been feeling drained and lonely, dreading each day as it comes.  My sense of humor is lacking.  The good news is that he's stronger, and will go back to work in two months (counting the days).  I think I'm depressed and emotionally exhausted.

Yesterday, I was talking on FB with a friend who is of Polish descent.  He was telling me how offensive he found Polish jokes, and I said I understood, being just about every mocked ancestry and faith known.  Today, a mutual FB friend posts a blonde joke, and Polish friend is LOLing. 

Maybe I had a "moment", but I wrote: "I'm surprised, as yesterday you said you were offended by Polish jokes.  How are blonde jokes any different?"

The friend who posted the joke wrote "Here, we joke about the Portuguese (he's in Brazil), and they love us and we love them!"  Translation: Oh, Gui, lighten up  :-[.

I'd planned to just let it go, but how badly did I mess up?

wheeitsme

Re: FB friend had a joke on his thread-how badly did I overreact?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
I don't think you did.

ladymaureen

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »
Either your friend needs to realize it's.exactly.the.same.thing (if not worse), or he needs to get over the Polish jokes. So no, I don't think you did anything wrong.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
I don't think you messed up but I don't think he will ever acknowledge the validity of your point either.

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
I don't think you messed up but I don't think he will ever acknowledge the validity of your point either.

agreed.
At this time, I wouldn't say anything else on the subject.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
I think your point was well made. And I agree with the PPs who say that your friend isn't going to understand his hypocrisy.

Audrey Quest

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »
Seems pretty standard for FB.  I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to signal that you got the message and agree with it, then "like" the person's comment that was lightening up the situation.  It's subtle, but it does send a message that all is ok, no hard feelings, etc.

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »
I would delete your comment or just let it be at this point.  I think the problem is that you took a private conversation between yourself and Polish friend and made an issue of it on another person's wall.  Basically you threadjacked the joke teller's conversation.  If I was the joke poster, I would probably be mildly annoyed, but then I would have just deleted your comment, not responded to it.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »
POD to Saki. While your point was valid, I'm not a big believer in calling people out publicly.

Mikayla

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
POD to Saki. While your point was valid, I'm not a big believer in calling people out publicly.

Agree with both (although I'd call it a minor transgression).