Author Topic: Contacting Ex's parents - novel length!  (Read 13363 times)

katycoo

Re: Contacting Ex's parents - novel length!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »
I think a heartfelt letter of gratitute is very appropriate.  I think updating them on your past year is also fine, but I would try to avoid the letter getting too long.

I woud acknowledge that they may not wish to reignite contact, but that you needed to say thanks, and if they do wish to reply, your email is XX or post can be sent to XX.

The ball is then in their court.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 10:48:42 PM »
You know what you might consider doing?

Several posters have suggested it too soon.  A few others have pointed out its almost mother's day.  You could always write out a long heartfelt letter, in honor of mother's day, and hold on to it.  And next year do the same, and so forth, until you feel its been long enough and then send her all of them.  She will know, albeit retroactively, that you had always carried her in your heart and will get to know about your life from the point of view of how you felt about it as it was happening (instead of retelling it years later).  And for you, just the act of writing it out will probably make you feel good about things, even if you can't send it right away.

Oh ....  I LOVE this idea! 

Texas Mom

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 02:53:15 PM »
I like Willy Nilly's idea!

Wolfgirl

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 08:50:34 AM »
I personally vote for sending the letter now, or as soon as you feel the time is right for you. You're not asking for anything or demanding a response or a renewed relationship, you're not askeing her to chose between you and her son, you're expressing your heartfelt thanks.

As I understand it, she asked you to cease contact as she felt that, at the time, this would benefit her son's mental state. However, correct me if I'm wrong but did she ever say that you were never to contact her again? If she did, that's a different matter. But if not, well as PPs said, he is apparently doing better, dating again, and it's been a year. If the relationship between you and her was as close as you say, I cannot believe she doesn't think of you, and regret the situation that came about as a result of her son's illness.

I say do it, and the best of luck! :)