Author Topic: Clicking "Show new replies to your posts" - a Notify question  (Read 1708 times)

NotTheNarcissist

I have gone through my profile & un-notified every single topic except the few I have created.

Still I am getting notifications on the "What little things drive you completely up the wall" thread (which is ironic cause I find the fact it's there is irritating). Specifically, when I click the 'show new replies to your posts' link, this thread displays but it shouldn't based on my notify settings.

Why would that thread still be flagged to notify me when it is not in my listing of threads to notify me? Weirdly-worded question. Hope it makes sense.

If more threads other than "what little things...." display I will let you know, as the issue may be thread-specific.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
Re: Clicking "Show new replies to your posts" - a Notify question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
I encountered that myself some time ago, and the answer is that the "Notify" feature and "Show new replies" are different animals entirely.

Notifications are reminders that are sent every time a post is made and can be disabled. My notifications come in the form of an email. You might choose to use this feature if there's a specific thread you're watching but you're more likely to check your email than eHell.

Show New Replies cannot be disabled. Ever. It will continue to flag replies to threads your have posted in long after you've lost interest. It's made me a lot more careful about where I post, because I could do without seeing the "Baby Names" thread every.single.time.  All you can do is "mark as read" and hope the thread dies out.
Utah

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »

Show New Replies cannot be disabled. Ever. It will continue to flag replies to threads your have posted in long after you've lost interest. It's made me a lot more careful about where I post, because I could do without seeing the "Baby Names" thread every.single.time.  All you can do is "mark as read" and hope the thread dies out.

This is unfortunately true.  I did find out why the developers do not offer this option.  It is because it would negatively affect performance of the forum and really slow it down.

You are able to ignore boards, however.   Go to Profile>Modify Profile>Ignore Board Options and choose which boards you wish to ignore and all new posts in threads to those boards will no longer be seen.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:17:11 PM »
Thank you