Author Topic: Gift for Online-Only Friend?  (Read 1261 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Gift for Online-Only Friend?
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
I know we have lots of writers and readers here are some hoping you can help me out with the kind of weird situation. Maybe there is a convention for this...I belong to a small online writing community and have a friend on it, a "beta reader" who has put in a lot of time and effort into my stories. She has read over many many pages and given me really detailed feedback.  I'm really grateful to her.  Her comments and critiques have really helped to improve my writing and build my confidence (though I have no dreams of publishing anything soon ;))

Anyway, I would really like to give her a token of my appreciation.  But I don't really know her, just through passing comments in emails about things, and through the community.  I was thinking of an Amazon gift card, since it can be used for so much, and it could be sent through email.

Would this be too weird? But I'm not sure how this would come across. I don't want it to seem like I'm paying her or anything. Just more of a "Hey, you have done really nice things for me, and I would like to do something nice for you." Should I ask her first? What do you all think?

Miss March

Re: Gift for Online-Only Friend?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »
I think it sounds like a nice thing to do! :)
He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing.-- George R.R. Martin

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:37 AM »
I agree that it would be a nice thing to do, but I'm biased--I do a lot of beta reading in my own online community, and I once had one person send me a whole bunch of chocolate as a thank you.

Did I mention that person was in Germany?  Yeah, I am their beta reader for life:D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 04:40:43 PM »
That doesn't sound weird to me. It sounds thoughtful. Someone like that is hard to find....a price tag can't be put on that but the gift is a small token of your appreciation of their sacrifice of time & valuable input.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
I think it is a great idea.  People who do things for other people without expectation of remuneration are extra appreciative when their effort is recognized.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario