Author Topic: Rotisserie Chicken recipes?  (Read 4564 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Rotisserie Chicken recipes?
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
I have a wonderful countertop oven/toaster oven that has a rotisserie feature that I've never used.  Over the past few months, we've been getting rotisserie chicken from a local supermarket, and I've fallen in love with the stuff.  So of course, now I've got it in my head that I can make this stuff myself.  The only problem is, I'm having a time of it trying to find recipes for it.  I can find recipes for how to make oven-baked chicken taste like rotisserie, or recipes to use leftover rotisserie chicken to make other things, but I just want a good flavor-infused rotisserie chicken.  Does anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: Rotisserie Chicken recipes?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

Marinate chicken in your favorite marinade.  But with this caution, it thickens/toughens the skin a bit.  Pat dry very well and then roast on your rotisserie.

Method I prefer:

I make a paste with a bit of oil and favorite herbs/seasoning blends.  Rub all under the breast area skin and under the drumstick skin.  Then salt/pepper on the outside all over and roast.  This will flavor the meat inside and cook well while won't burn if on the outside.  Also the skin with simply salt/pepper will render and become thin and crispy.

doodlemor

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:05:59 PM »
I think that what you want to search for is *chicken rub* recipe or *chicken dry rub recipe.*  Here is a page that I found.

http://rotisserie-chicken-rub-recipe.blogspot.com/

I've always intended to do this with my rotisserie, and never have.  Maybe your question will get me motivated.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »
I think that what you want to search for is *chicken rub* recipe or *chicken dry rub recipe.*  Here is a page that I found.

http://rotisserie-chicken-rub-recipe.blogspot.com/

I've always intended to do this with my rotisserie, and never have.  Maybe your question will get me motivated.

Ooooh, yes!  Thank you.  I just didn't know the proper syntax!

gingerzing

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
This is honestly my very favorite Rotisserie chicken recipe. 
We are going to have it tonight.  Though I used a Penzey spice blend instead of the one here.  But this blend is QUITE good. 

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-rotisserie-style-chicken.html

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
Sorry, I don't have a recipe, because I haven't done Rotisserie anything in such a long time. (But this thread makes me want to dig out that old appliance and see if it still works because rotisseried stuff was delicious.)

You can basically use any recipe that you would use for roasted chicken. The sky's the limit and your taste palate is your guide.

If you want it to taste like the store bought rotisserie chicken maybe ask them how they spice it. In fact, if I remember correctly, I do believe the packaged rotisserie chicken comes with an ingredient sticker on it.

Check your appliance "How to" guide for temperature settings and cooking times . . . a lot of specialty appliance manuals come with starter recipes. If you don't have your book any more you can always google the name brand.

Your rotisserie appliance might be different from mine, so I wouldn't even begin to try and tell you that for chicken you should be on the 3rd slot up, 2 or 3 inches away from the heating element for xHours . . .

Mine is open air with one heating element on the bottom (an indoor electric grill type of thing.) Yours (a toaster oven?) sounds like it's enclosed. KWIM? All appliances are different.

Remember that you can also use your rotisserie for other things like beef or pork roast and large shish-kabobs (just skewer anything you would on a normal sized shish-kabob but with larger chunks of whatever.)

Have fun with your new toy!  ;D

Please keep us posted.

Mikayla

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »
My alltime favorite way to cook rotisserie chicken is with a jamaican jerk rub.  But you do have to be willing to go into spice overload.  This is almost identical to the one I use:

http://www.food.com/recipe/jamaican-jerk-chicken-and-seasoning-210145

Obviously, you can tweak it, etc. and the dry ingredients can be combined for ease of use if you decide you want to keep on with it.  This recipe isn't for rotisserie, but it's easy to adapt if you have the basic cooking time/temp for your chicken.

Serve with jasmine rice into which you dump coconut milk as part of your liquid and add cilantro and pepper after cooking.  Yum!