Author Topic: 24: Live Another Day, UK perspective  (Read 1203 times)

Leafy

24: Live Another Day, UK perspective
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:22:18 AM »
This season has just started in Australia, I think we are up to the third episode, but I wanted to get some Londoner's perspective on a couple of things. Hopefully I won't be giving away anything, I promise to ask as generally as I can.

There were two things that happened in the last episode that left me looking at DH going "we'll that's totally unrealistic" but never having lived in London I wondered if I was right or not.

Situation one. A person that is being followed has gotten on the tube bound for a station that I can't remember the name of. One of the followers says "it's due at that station in 4 minutes", they get in the car and not only beat the train to the station but have time to get down to the tube and get on. Is this likely to be possible anywhere in central London? I thought traffic was supposed to be pretty thick?

Situation two. The US President addresses parliament but MPs just start yelling at him and he can't talk. I would have thought that etiquette in parliament would be pretty strong and that sort of thing wouldn't happen. Unlikely or plausible?

I realise that at the end of the day it is just a TV show and they are just plot devices but I did wonder if my 'impression' of London/UK was accurate or off.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: 24: Live Another Day, UK perspective
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:06:09 AM »
Can't comment on situation 2, but situation 1 I'd mark as mostly unlikely, but it does depend on time of day/week, which station we're talking about and how many stops there are between getting on and getting off. There may be some where it's possible, but in general I'd consider it pretty impossible for a car to beat a train at the best of times - and especially in Central London.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Margo

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »
Situation 1 - depends on the specific stations but sounds highly unlikely

Situation 2 - unlikely - MPs do barrack each other quie a lot so it would not be totally implausible to have a situation where an MP was yelled at and drowned out - much less likley if it was a visiting head of state. I suppsoe it might depend a little what he was saying (:) )

AvidReader

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
24 does take liberties with time in big cities.  Several seasons back, the story was set in Washington, DC.  At one point, Jack is driving from location A to location B and says he'll be there in 2 minutes.  We nearly fell off our chairs laughing.  We live in the DC region and short of a presidential motorcade when the roads are cleared and all traffic is stopped, no one could drive that distance in 2 minutes....10 minutes maybe...on a good day.

nayberry

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
sit one, depends on which stations, there are some you can drive faster than the tube, not many tho.

sit 2, its very normal in the house of commons for barracking, its less common to visiting heads of state to be barracked but still possible.

Leafy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'm a little thrown by the use of barracking. Here we barrack for a team so if I was barracking I would be cheering. I'm guessing by your usage this is more jeering and haranguing?

nayberry

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »
thats exactly it Leafy,  its like heckling someone on stage

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »
They definitely take liberties otherwise the show would be too boring. But at least it isn't nukes in LA again!

scotcat60

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »
Situation 1 in Central London? Highly unlikely. Especially if you were in the rush hour. Adn where would they park the car in that area?

Situation 2 I don't know of any occasion when a US president has ever addressed the House of Commons. But I could be wrong. Generally, Heads of State are entertained by the Queen at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle, and give a speech there. Or they do a Press conference at 10 Downing Street, with the Prime Minister if they want to comment on an international situation.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
Situation 1 in Central London? Highly unlikely. Especially if you were in the rush hour. Adn where would they park the car in that area?

Situation 2 I don't know of any occasion when a US president has ever addressed the House of Commons. But I could be wrong. Generally, Heads of State are entertained by the Queen at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle, and give a speech there. Or they do a Press conference at 10 Downing Street, with the Prime Minister if they want to comment on an international situation.

He is addressing them because he wants to renew the lease on a base on UK soil and they are not inclined to do so after a drone just killed two of their people. And that is why they are heckling him - because he is saying how sorry he is and how he has no words and then they shout that the word is "murder' and stuff like that.

Not sure how realistic that is but I will give them a pass because it makes it more entertaining.

scotcat60

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
Not sure how realistic that is but I will give them a pass because it makes it more entertaining

Thanks for the background, I have not seen the series as I don;t subscribe to the channel on which it is shown. However, in real life, such a situation would involve negotiations with the UK Foreign Office,  and the US Ambassador would be in there somewhere. I doubt the President would ask personally in public for anything. But as you say, it makes for a better story.

NestHolder

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »
Situation 1: Ahahaha No.  It might be possible to beat the Tube in a car at the very end of the line, ie well outside the centre of Town, but in the middle, absolutely no way.  For one thing, you'd never find anywhere to *park* the car within four minutes, barring a miracle, and it'd almost certainly take at least a minute to get down the escalators to the platform.  Some honourable exceptions to the escalators part, particularly if the train is on the Circle Line, but overall, no. 

I used to cycle from Turnham Green to work at Hyde Park Corner, and my cycle time was about the same as the tube train would take—had it been another station outwards, the train would have beaten me.  But I wasn't a very fast cyclist, and never tried to be.  A more devoted cyclist could beat the Tube from a greater distance than that, easily enough.  Bicycle is by far the best way of getting about in the middle of London.  In the very centre there are some stations where you can walk from one to the other more quickly than you could go by train—eg Leicester Square to Piccadilly Circus—but that doesn't necessarily give you time to go through the barriers and down to the platform as well.  I suppose if you were Usain Bolt...

Thor II got this delightfully wrong, too, but in a different way: he got on a train somewhere like Charing Cross and was over in Greenwich in, I think, four stops.  Nice work if you can get it...

Situation 2: I would expect there to be etiquette surrounding a foreign leader addressing the Houses of Parliament.  While the Commons is known for being full of schoolboyishly obnoxious behaviour, I wouldn't expect them to apply the same treatment to a guest as they apply to, say, the Prime Minister.  But it might depend on the subject being addressed (I haven't seen the show, so I don't know what the President might be talking about), and perhaps the situation—once the barracking started, it might go on for a while!  Although I would expect the Speaker to speak up and quell the noise, really, which he/she does during a normal House session.

Margo

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
Yes, Charing Cross to Greewitch in 4 stops in Thor had me blinking at the screen, too! I don't know my tube well enough to go anywhere without checking the map first, but I know those two are much further apart and not even on the same line!

NestHolder

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »
Eight stops, including a change at Waterloo.  Hah.