Author Topic: I am not hiding from you  (Read 6824 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: I am not hiding from you
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
My kids do this and it drives me crazy! I do the same as you and say "I'm in the kitchen and can't hear you. If you need me you'll need to come in here and talk to me." any further hollering is ignored.

Yeah, my kids and husband do this and it makes me nuts too.  Especially when DH will call to me from another part of the house) and when I call back (only done when I can't leave my position atm, such as feeding/changing/bathing baby) and when I call back he says "I can't hear you over all this noise!" Um, then why did you call to me over the noise in the first place?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Pippen

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
Another Welcome to the Board, Pippen! ;D

Along with the PPers, this was an extremely aggravating occurrence with my children.

To the point where I told them that they knew where I was. I will not tolerate any more yelling conversations across the rooms. I stopped answering them when they yelled out my name.

Culmination was when the phone rang one time. I got up to answer the phone. It was one of the DDs. "Hi, Momma. Can you come to my room for a minute?"

I hung up the phone without comment (yeah, I hung up on her. How rude of me!) went to her room and there she was comfy cozy on her bed. She asked me "When's dinner going to be ready?"

Long story short, she said "But I didn't yell!" ::)

Yup. She lost phone privileges for a week.

I would have been the one doing the yelling in that situation!

KarenK

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »

Along with the PPers, this was an extremely aggravating occurrence with my children.

To the point where I told them that they knew where I was. I will not tolerate any more yelling conversations across the rooms. I stopped answering them when they yelled out my name.

Culmination was when the phone rang one time. I got up to answer the phone. It was one of the DDs. "Hi, Momma. Can you come to my room for a minute?"

I hung up the phone without comment (yeah, I hung up on her. How rude of me!) went to her room and there she was comfy cozy on her bed. She asked me "When's dinner going to be ready?"

Why didn't she just ask when she had you on the phone? That's the annoying part to me, although it does sound typically teen, you know, following the letter of the law but not the spirit.  ;D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »

Why didn't she just ask when she had you on the phone? That's the annoying part to me, although it does sound typically teen, you know, following the letter of the law but not the spirit.  ;D

Yeah, teenage brain. Who knows what's going on inside there? ::)

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
I think that "I want to show you my socks/youtube video" = "I want to spend time with you now and need and need an excuse to get you to come inside".

I also think that you may be an introvert and enjoy your time in the garden alone and they may be extroverts and want to rescue from being alone. :-)

Also, why are these guests staying at your house?
Is it to visit you?
Is it for a temporary place to stay?
If it is the former, then they may feel that you aren't spending time with you.
If it is the latter, they still may feel that they aren't spending time with you or don't know what to do with themselves..or feel weird that they are at your house but are not with you.

Also clarify what your expectations are...do you expect them to entertain themselves? Do you expect that you can go about your normal business and they can do theirs?

So my suggestion is that you try to figure out the motivation for the "yellers"....
So if you suspect it is that they don't know when they will get to hang with you next, you could pre-empt them and say "Guest, I am going out to the garden for about an hour. After that we can <whatever>".

And if someone yells from teh porch just say, "Come out to the garden. I can't hear you. OH, here are some shears, could you trim those bushes?"   >:D  Either you have a new helper or you have trained them not to bother you in the garden.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:59:02 PM by bopper »

Pippen

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »
I think that "I want to show you my socks/youtube video" = "I want to spend time with you now and need and need an excuse to get you to come inside".

I also think that you may be an introvert and enjoy your time in the garden alone and they may be extroverts and want to rescue from being alone. :-)

Also, why are these guests staying at your house?
Is it to visit you?
Is it for a temporary place to stay?
If it is the former, then they may feel that you aren't spending time with you.
If it is the latter, they still may feel that they aren't spending time with you or don't know what to do with themselves..or feel weird that they are at your house but are not with you.

Also clarify what your expectations are...do you expect them to entertain themselves? Do you expect that you can go about your normal business and they can do theirs?

So my suggestion is that you try to figure out the motivation for the "yellers"....
So if you suspect it is that they don't know when they will get to hang with you next, you could pre-empt them and say "Guest, I am going out to the garden for about an hour. After that we can <whatever>".

And if someone yells from teh porch just say, "Come out to the garden. I can't hear you. OH, here are some shears, could you trim those bushes?"   >:D  Either you have a new helper or you have trained them not to bother you in the garden.

Ha ha. No. I'm def not an introvert but I do like to be getting on with the task at hand without interruptions.