Author Topic: Some quick facebok help, please  (Read 1880 times)

Shopaholic

Some quick facebok help, please
« on: May 05, 2012, 11:35:21 PM »
B/G: My last name on FB is hyphenated. My husband's last name is a proper noun, but when a certain one-syllable non-word is added it becomes a curse. This syllable can be part of proper words, too. Obviously my husband grew up with "do you have an uncle named <name that ends with that syllable>? Har de har har!", but now we are all grown up.
My sister changed her last name completely.

Last night I put up a whole slew of adorable photos of my nephew, and tagged my sister in them. My privacy is set so that her friends can also see the photos she is tagged in. (She is OK with this, obviously).
So one of her friends liked the photo and wrote "Is that your kid, Sis? Too bad your maiden name isn't <word that ends with above-mentioned syllable>!"

So... I am not amused. While I have heard these jokes before, this person is not a friend of mine or even an acquaintance.
I think the best course of action is to just delete his comment and block him, but a part of me wants to reply some thing along the lines of "You're not funny.", "Nobody's laughing.", "You think you're so original, don't you?". You know, just to let him know how far out of line he is.

Can all you wise eHellions help me make the best decision here, please?

Iris

Re: Some quick facebok help, please
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:05:04 AM »
I was a little confused by your post. Mostly because I'm wracking my brains to work out what curse words I know that could be broken up into a last name and another syllable  ;) However, fwiw;

I would let it go. Sometimes on facebook if you are skimming through your newsfeed and see "Jane was tagged in a photo" you can fire off a quick comment before realising that although Jane was *tagged* in the photo, the photo is actually in the album of someone you've never met. I know I've almost commented on a stranger's photo for this reason before. I'm also guessing that this person doesn't know your sister well, as they seem to be confused between her surname and yours, which would certainly not happen with a close friend.

Since you don't know what your sister's relationship with this person is, I would simply delete the comment and let it go. If you want, next time you see your sister you can ask who her charming friend is and see what she says. Chances are you'll find out the person was horribly embarrassed when they realised what they'd done.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Shopaholic

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:26:22 AM »
Don't wrack your brain, our name is in Hebrew and the curse word is in Arabic, but has found its way into spoken Hebrew.

My sister actually liked his post!!!

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:27:38 AM »
Don't comment - it won't help. Just delete his post.

penelope2017

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »
I think some things we are particularly sensitive about are probably not that huge of a deal in the long run, and unfortunately social media is one of those things we can't control once we put things out there.

Especially if your sister liked the post, starting an argument on FB is only going to reflect badly on you, not on him. Leaving it alone will mean it is likely forgotten about quickly.

sweetonsno

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »
I've run into something similar. However, my last name is an adjective and one that is quite pleasant. Let's pretend it's "Pretty." About 1/4 of the comments in my yearbook included a variation of the phrase "You're so Pretty, sweetonsno!" Yeah. Original. Even though the comments weren't unflattering, they did get old.

While it's tempting to call them out on being totally unoriginal and juvenile, I think there's a better solution. My sister started saying, "I don't get it."

"You're so Pretty sweetonsno's sister! Ha ha ha!"
"I don't get it."
"Well, your last name is Pretty... and pretty is a word... so it's funny because... wait... you've heard that, like, a million times before, haven't you?"
"Yeah."

It works pretty well. Rather than actually calling them stupid and unoriginal directly (and looking like a jerk or setting yourself up for a backhanded "can't you take a joke?" comments), you point it out more subtly, cracking a joke yourself. I've had something similar happen on FB. The "I don't get it" comment got quite a few more "likes" than the stupid "You're so pretty!" comment.

You could also change your setting so only the people you tag/your friends can view the picture.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
I think some things we are particularly sensitive about are probably not that huge of a deal in the long run, and unfortunately social media is one of those things we can't control once we put things out there.

Especially if your sister liked the post, starting an argument on FB is only going to reflect badly on you, not on him. Leaving it alone will mean it is likely forgotten about quickly.

This. And OP, I somewhat feel your pain. My last name isnt kin to a curse word, but it is the last name made famous by Chevy Chase in a series of movies.

Dorrie78

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »
If it bothers you, just quietly delete the comment. I do this on my page when someone comments in a way I don't like. if it becomes an ongoing issue, I would eventually say something to the offender, but it hasn't reached that point yet. I haven't felt compelled to block anyone yet - so far, none of my friends have shown to be offensive Facebook people.