Author Topic: Deleting Posts on a FB Group - rude or ok ?  (Read 4432 times)

jeni

Deleting Posts on a FB Group - rude or ok ?
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
Hi there, after some advice please.

I'm a member of a private group on FB which has lots of members all dealing with a related issue.  In the past few days posts have been deleted without explanation.  I don't know much about FB so I'm not really sure who can do what in terms of deleting posts.  One of the group's Administrators has not responded to another members questions about what might be happening.

In the most recent example someone started a new thread and then some members got off topic, and discussed other things not relevant to thread but entirely relevant to the group and to the issues at hand.  Many but not all of these posts were deleted.  I cannot imagine why someone would do that except that perhaps they didn't want their thread going in a different direction.  However if that was the case I think the better way to handle it would be to add a comment suggesting a new thread rather than deleting posts.  What do others think about this?

Not every 'off topic' post was deleted either which is even more odd and makes it difficult to understand.  I was wondering about sending a PM to the thread creator to ask them if they had deleted the posts as I'm curious to know what happened to them and why, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Some of the posts deleted were mine, but the majority were from others.

What's the etiquette on this?  I would welcome any advice or suggestions on how to handle this.

O'Dell

Re: Deleting Posts on a FB Group - rude or ok ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:04:13 AM »
I don't know anything about private FB groups but I think sending a message asking the originator of the thread if they know what happened would be fine. You might want to check out FB's "help center" for info on how groups work. Maybe you can find info that can help you narrow down the possible suspects.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

squeakers

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:12:40 AM »
Only an admin can delete posts.  An OP can delete a thread but can only hide as spam others replies to their thread. No idea what happens if they mark your posts as spam in that way too many times (as in whether FB sees you as a spammer and blocks you from posting.)

So I would ask mods what was going on in a PM. 

Something like "I know we were off topic for that thread but we were still on topic for the group.. so why were my posts deleted?"

Then again.. FB does screw up and have posts go missing.  It hasn't happened to me in a while but back when one of my groups was really hopping (as in 40 people logged into the group, not all posting but reading along) and it would take forever for posts to show up, posts would go missing, notifications were either not showing or would show but you couldn't see the posts etc.

That is when we would log into the Beta address for the group: http://www.beta.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_###########&ap=1 the ###s  is where you replace with your actual group number. Actual group number can be found by hovering your mouse over the group name on the left side of FB page where your groups are listed.. right click your mouse, copy link address. Paste to a note and cut out just the numbers and put them where the hash marks are in the url above.

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »
I administer a few groups on FB.  I have deleted posts.  Posts that were relevant to the group itself but that were, IMO, detrimental in general.

Here's a broad example.  I am on the board of a civic association.  We do all sorts of stuff for the community at large.  We do demographic specific stuff (aimed at kids, aimed at seniors, etc) and some stuff that is just for everyone in the community.  Recently we offered free tickets to a major league baseball game, to anyone who asked for them, on first come first served basis.  This was promoted on our FB page. 

One member - not a board member, just an average joe community member - posted suggesting we donate these tickets to low income youth.  I deleted it.

Its not that it was such a terrible suggestion, in fact I'm sure it was well intended.  And it was relevant to our organization as a whole - we do do things for low income folks, and a lot for youths in general.  But the fact is, this event, the board had decided was for everyone in the community.  So I deleted it because I didn't want to have other people feel put off from requesting tickets, or start debate over whether we do enough for youths affected by low income households, etc.

So is it possible that while the overall topic was relevant the direction a particular thread was headed was inappropriate?  In my case, had this same man posed a totally separate, stand alone question asking what events and plans we had for low income youths, I would have gladly answered and had a thread running about that.  But he didn't, he posted it on the thread about an event aimed towards all, which I found inappropriate.

jeni

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:03:34 AM »
Thanks so much for your replies!

Interesting update, a group member who had posts deleted asked the administrator what happened to her posts and why they had been deleted, and she was promptly deleted from the group! I think her question was entirely valid, but it was perhaps a little strongly worded and the administrator took offence.  The admin posted a thread saying this was the first time she had deleted someone and gave a sketchy reason - I can't recall the exact wording, she has now removed that thread!

Since that happened I haven't participated in the group as I feel that was an over handed reaction, remembering this is a support group for individuals with a related health concern, and very few other support groups exist for this situation.  I think there was a better way to handle it.

I'm too scared now to say anything in case I'm deleted as well, although I'm not so sure I want to be part of a group that kicks its members out without giving them an opportunity for right of reply or further explanation. I saw all the original posts and none of them were in any way offensive, if that was the situation, then instant ejection from the group is understandable but that wasn't the case here.  Many other members have also boycotted the group since this happened.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
I do think that if you delete a post from a group like that, it's a good thing to drop the person a line to say, "You'll see I deleted your post--I laud your sentiments, but I didn't want people to be intimidated out of participating, or to feel that every activity was going to be subjected to judgment about whether it was charitable enough, and we want to provide activities for everyone, even those who aren't poor. We do have charity activities; I hope you'll support those!"

(just using WillyNilly's interesting situation as an example)

It's good PR, and I think it's actually more polite to do so. Sort of like, saying "I have to go now," and hanging up is OK; but just hanging up without a word isn't.

thedudeabides

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:05:49 PM »
Thanks so much for your replies!

Interesting update, a group member who had posts deleted asked the administrator what happened to her posts and why they had been deleted, and she was promptly deleted from the group! I think her question was entirely valid, but it was perhaps a little strongly worded and the administrator took offence.  The admin posted a thread saying this was the first time she had deleted someone and gave a sketchy reason - I can't recall the exact wording, she has now removed that thread!

Since that happened I haven't participated in the group as I feel that was an over handed reaction, remembering this is a support group for individuals with a related health concern, and very few other support groups exist for this situation.  I think there was a better way to handle it.

I'm too scared now to say anything in case I'm deleted as well, although I'm not so sure I want to be part of a group that kicks its members out without giving them an opportunity for right of reply or further explanation. I saw all the original posts and none of them were in any way offensive, if that was the situation, then instant ejection from the group is understandable but that wasn't the case here.  Many other members have also boycotted the group since this happened.

Sounds like someone let the power of admin-ship go to her head.  That's a clear sign that someone isn't capable of handling the responsibility of running a group or forum.  Tends to be a sign that the place is on a downward slide, because if she does it once, she'll do it again.  Then everyone will run like mad, and it'll end up a desert.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
Facebook groups are easy to create, perhaps you could start your own group where posts (and members) wouldn't just disappear. It's a shame when organizers start to become tyrannical like this, it happens all too often on the internet.

Lovie

• <3
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 07:51:18 AM »
I guarantee you're not the only one who felt this way. Create a new group, invite members of the bad group, and I bet you'll see a lot of transition