• March 22, 2018, 05:37:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Allistar MacGilivray  (Read 2940 times)

Allistar MacGilivray
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »
 BG/have been trying to learn violin, piano and flute for about 5 years now. My violin teacher has been asking me to record a cd and give it to someone as an assignment for over a year. I acquiesced in January and will have the teacher record it by the end of the year. Part of this is that I have to pick the songs /BG

I fell in love with a song called "Song For the Mira" ( aka "Out on the Mira") years ago when I hear Anne Murray sing it in concert. So I decided that I want to do it as one of the songs on this cd as I am trying to learn Cape Breton style of playing and the song makes me think of my time at The Gaelic College. So I started hunting for a legitimate copy of the song online and could not find one for the life of me. So I found the composer's website and sent an email to him asking what book I would find it in, as I was quite willing to buy the book to get the song.
  I got a reply from Allistar himself, asking only what instrument I was using, what key it would be in and if I was going to have accompaniment. When I replied with the info, he sent me the sheet music for the piece for free.
  I can not tell you how touched I was, and still am.  What a sweet thing for him to do. 

Re: Allistar MacGilivray
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
How incredibly kind of him! I like that song, too - I have John McDermott's version on my iPod.

Re: Allistar MacGilivray
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »
Well, he's a Maritimer, isn't he? That's what they do.

Lovely song. "I'm going to be with them again".
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"