Author Topic: Allistar MacGilivray  (Read 1474 times)

snowdragon

Allistar MacGilivray
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »
 BG/have been trying to learn violin, piano and flute for about 5 years now. My violin teacher has been asking me to record a cd and give it to someone as an assignment for over a year. I acquiesced in January and will have the teacher record it by the end of the year. Part of this is that I have to pick the songs /BG

I fell in love with a song called "Song For the Mira" ( aka "Out on the Mira") years ago when I hear Anne Murray sing it in concert. So I decided that I want to do it as one of the songs on this cd as I am trying to learn Cape Breton style of playing and the song makes me think of my time at The Gaelic College. So I started hunting for a legitimate copy of the song online and could not find one for the life of me. So I found the composer's website and sent an email to him asking what book I would find it in, as I was quite willing to buy the book to get the song.
  I got a reply from Allistar himself, asking only what instrument I was using, what key it would be in and if I was going to have accompaniment. When I replied with the info, he sent me the sheet music for the piece for free.
  I can not tell you how touched I was, and still am.  What a sweet thing for him to do. 

Bethczar

Re: Allistar MacGilivray
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
How incredibly kind of him! I like that song, too - I have John McDermott's version on my iPod.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Allistar MacGilivray
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
Well, he's a Maritimer, isn't he? That's what they do.

Lovely song. "I'm going to be with them again".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."