Author Topic: Unique BBQ Sides  (Read 4201 times)

RavenousEdenFleur

Unique BBQ Sides
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm new here, first time poster, short time lurker but I stumbled upon your site and am loving the stories and posts. Nice to meet you all.

I was invited to a really cool Barbecue for Memorial Day and the host suggested that if we wanted to bring sides and/or desserts to pass that would be great. I am bringing a bottle of wine and some beer but I truly wanted to make something.

He is providing Filipino sweet sausages,Korean ribs, hamburgers, potato salad and cucumber salad to name a few things.

I was thinking of either making some sort of cold couscous salad or a cold green bean salad. For dessert I was thinking balsamic berries and cream or some spicy chocolate pudding.

Does anyone have any ideas of something that taste better with those flavors he is already providing?

I am at a loss

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Unique BBQ Sides
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »
Ribs.  I know he's serving ribs, but the best side for ribs is more ribs.

Okay, serious answer: German potato salad.  It's my favorite BBQ side ever.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:08:21 AM »
Tabouleh -- my favourite with any bbq meat.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:08:20 AM »
Corn salad - corn (off the cob), diced red pepper, black beans, hearts of palm. Really, there's dozens of combos, and it's yummy!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »

Korean ribs are not like the ribs we know.  They are tiny pieces of meat with a small bone.   Since the host asked for desserts and sides, I would feel put out If someone brought such a huge overshadowing main especially if they needed grill or oven time. I think while well intentioned, it is rude ti bring something that causes the host extra work. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »
Corn salad - corn (off the cob), diced red pepper, black beans, hearts of palm. Really, there's dozens of combos, and it's yummy!

I'm making a version of this on the weekend.  My cousin made it when we visited over Easter and it is da bomb.  Hers has a kick to it.  There Is another variation on the rotel website. 

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:42 AM »
You can do gazpacho - just put it in a pitcher and bring cups so you can drink it and don't need spoons.  Works great!

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

EmmaJ.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
A salad of any type would be nice - pasta salad, Casear salad, bean salad, they're all delicious!  And it would be a plus if any vegetarians are coming to the party.

You piqued my intertest though - spicy chocolate pudding??  That sounds delicious, can you share your recipe?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
Kimchi fried rice.  It's a hybrid of two dishes and so very good.  Would go excellent with the korean ribs.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »

Korean ribs are not like the ribs we know.  They are tiny pieces of meat with a small bone.   Since the host asked for desserts and sides, I would feel put out If someone brought such a huge overshadowing main especially if they needed grill or oven time. I think while well intentioned, it is rude ti bring something that causes the host extra work.

Which is why I provided a serious answer following.  I tend to joke a lot, especially with new people.  I feel a little humor opens more doors than just about anything.

learningtofly

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »
I looked up one of the unique BBQ places nearby.  Cornbread, fried plantains, and baked beans were on the list.  Something with sweet potatoes like sweet potato muffins or mashed sweet potatoes?  Sounds like a yummy BBQ!

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »

I'm 99.9% 100% sure that Traska was joking, especially since she followed up with the bolded, thereby implying that the first part was a non-serious answer :)

OP, I agree with veryfluffy that tabouleh works with a large variety of flavors and would go nicely with the sweetness of the meats provided. Your idea for a cold couscous or green bean salad sounds awesome! I might go with the green beans personally, just because the potato salad is already providing a lot of starch.

ETA: I didn't see Traska's follow up, so I've amended my percentage to reflect her own admission that she was, in fact, joking :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:00:26 PM by VorpalBunny »
Utah

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »

Which is why I provided a serious answer following.  I tend to joke a lot, especially with new people.  I feel a little humor opens more doors than just about anything.

I should have noted I got your joke.  You'd be amazed what people bring to these things that don't consider how difficult it is for the host or that it takes over the entire meal.

Oh Joy

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
Welcome!

I don't have time to look up a recipe, but I'm picturing some individual citrusy salad bites served on endive leaves.  Would be a great 'finger food' for a barbecue and complement the theme.  I'm also thinking something with cold peas or beans (especially garbanzo/chickpea) for some nonfat protein to go along with the heavier meats.

Yum...

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »
Maybe forget the dessert and use the wine you're bringing to make Sangria instead!  You should clear it with the host first though.

http://wine.about.com/od/redwines/r/Partysangria.htm
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett