Author Topic: Unique BBQ Sides  (Read 4187 times)

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
Re: Unique BBQ Sides
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
You could do a  24 hour salad. It's peas, cauliflower (chopped) ,bacon (chopped), lettuce (chopped), shredded parmesean cheese (or you coud use cheddar) & mayo mixed. Put it in the fridge once mixed for 24 hours. Really good.

POF

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
I've seen a recipe for salad served in the large cooked pasta shells, just grab and go.

Deviled eggs are a must do .. they are great dressed up with a bit of horse radish or wasabi

Amara

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
Cold soup. Gazpacho is fabulous or a nice cucumber one.

RavenousEdenFleur

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
Delicious ideas, thank you!

I liked the meat joke but it is true some people do want to upstage the host... I have read stories before I started posting.

That sounds like my friend, his side dish to ribs would be bacon, more ribs then 3 kinds of potatoes then more potatoes.... I have seen him dip his fries into mashed potatoes.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
You could do a  24 hour salad. It's peas, cauliflower (chopped) ,bacon (chopped), lettuce (chopped), shredded parmesean cheese (or you coud use cheddar) & mayo mixed. Put it in the fridge once mixed for 24 hours. Really good.

hmmm . . . that sounds like a 7-layer salad all mixed up instead of layered. It is good.

(Except that you only have 6 ingredients listed. For the life of me I can't remember the 7th layer. :-\)

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »

hmmm . . . that sounds like a 7-layer salad all mixed up instead of layered. It is good.

(Except that you only have 6 ingredients listed. For the life of me I can't remember the 7th layer. :-\)

I make a version of this with broccoli instead of cauliflower and with some sunflower seeds thrown in. I usually toss in just a bit of sugar and some vinegar to give it additional POP! I love that I can make it ahead.
Utah

Mikayla

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »
I could have sworn I posted my broccoli salad in here recently, because it's my go-to dish.  But you chop florets, add in golden raisins, bacon, chopped red onion, sunflower pellets (not the unshelled things, the little kernels) and then dress it with mayo mixed with a little vinegar and sugar.  There's a ton of them online if you google, and this thing is a hit wherever I take it.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
I love that salad.   Food.com has some tasty versions.

SoCalVal

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »
I make longganisa (Filipino sweet sausage) all the time.  The traditional sides are steamed rice and fresh diced tomatoes (they balance the flavors of the longganisa very nicely).  Yes, I realize steamed rice is not a typical bbq side (actually, you probably could/would expect to find it at a Filipino bbq).  Garlic fried rice is good, too.  The thing about longganisa is that it is a very strongly-flavored sausage.  A good side for that is something that complements the strong flavors.  While I wouldn't recommend serving pasta as a side to longganisa, I'll admit I've never tried to either.

Someone suggested deviled eggs, which is always a crowd pleaser.  I've never had a time I've made deviled eggs, and people weren't happy to see them.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
Since it sounds like there are asian flavors how about a cold sesame noodle salad?  I find they go great with asian style ribs and it's not the typical side.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

RavenousEdenFleur

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »
I am a sucker for cold noodles!

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »

Green onions? I don't like onions so I don't put them in.

ACBNYC

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »
Since it sounds like there are asian flavors how about a cold sesame noodle salad?  I find they go great with asian style ribs and it's not the typical side.

That reminded me of this, which would also be a good side:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ramen-cabbage-salad/

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »

Sugar for the seventh layer.....or at least that's what my mom uses.