Author Topic: please bring eggs  (Read 4029 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: please bring eggs
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
I think it was really rude. You don't invite people for a meal and then call hours before and ask them to provide major components of the meal. I could see an emergency, say the host precooked something and it got ruined. Then you call in a panic and make sure you reimburse your friend. That didn't happen here. The insufficient tomatoes/mushrooms and lack of beverages are the nails in the coffin.

Betelnut

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
If the event was not advertised as potluck, the host was very rude.  You don't ask people to provide food unless it is stated upfront the event is a potluck.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 03:13:51 AM »
I think it was really rude. You don't invite people for a meal and then call hours before and ask them to provide major components of the meal. I could see an emergency, say the host precooked something and it got ruined. Then you call in a panic and make sure you reimburse your friend. That didn't happen here. The insufficient tomatoes/mushrooms and lack of beverages are the nails in the coffin.
exactly!

friends once asked us to pick up bagels for their housewarming party because they knew we would be passing the store anyway (it was way out of their way).  they took out money to reimburse us but we told them it was our housewarming gift to them (it was a LOT of bagels ;D)

a former friend of mine used to pull that last minute trick on me - until i said "no, that won't be possible".

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bluenomi

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:23:02 AM »
I think it is rude. 2 dozen eggs would cost a bucket load more than 2 loaves of bread. If you can't afford to host people, don't have them over, it's that simple. If they didn't want to pay for eggs or dinks they shouldn't have been hosting

audrey1962

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
IMO, this was rude.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
Rude! 

And since you already feel a bit used, it would be difficult for me to be generous next time.  With my K'nnihave experience, I'm really guarded against "users." 

JadeGirl

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 01:22:56 AM »
2 dozen eggs would set me back about $18, so I would have been cross.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
Good thing you brought the eggs...otherwise there would be nothing to eat!  :D :D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »
Asking me to bring eggs last minute would get a big 'No'.  I buy eggs from a local organic farm.  They aren't much more expensive than the grocery store so it is worth it to me.  But it is a 45 minute drive, round trip.  Not something I'm willing to do at the last minute and I don't buy grocery store eggs any more, unless I'm doing a lot of baking, where the taste isn't so critical.

Next time this friend invites you to something and it isn't billed as a pot luck, ask if you are going to be expected to supply any of the meal before you RSVP.  Then you can either turn the invitation down, if they say yes, or remind them of what they said (no) when they call/text you last minute.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

EMuir

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »
No *coffee* was offered even?  What a strange invitation.  I might have responded back with "Sure, how much do you want to spend on them?" 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
No *coffee* was offered even?  What a strange invitation.  I might have responded back with "Sure, how much do you want to spend on them?"

I think at least, "OK, you can reimburse me when I get there," would be a good idea.

It is rude to ask anyone to buy you anything without offering to pay them for it. The "hosts" (for lack of a more accurate term) were rude and stingy.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."