Author Topic: .  (Read 4474 times)

Rohanna

Re: Presumptuous Party Invite?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
My early birthday party photos from the 80's show my parents friends in them,as do my husbands- and some of them had no kids, so I hardly think it's a new "trend". I remember some of the kids in the class having "over the top" parties, but most of us either had a party at home or at the local Mickey D's.  I think that in general, I've seen the parents friends and any kids they might have get invited to kids parties until the kids get to be daycare/school-age and start having their own friends to invite.

I really don't see why one should get bent out of shape over an invite- I don't drink very much, but if somone invited me to a cocktail party I wouldn't get angry about it, I'd just decide if the company was worth the bother of dodging martini's all night. I'd rather have the choice of deciding for myself, than miss an evening of socializing with people I like because someone was worried the invite would offend me.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

goldilocks

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »
Well, I wouldn't take off work for my own kid's b-day, let alone someone elses.  I just don't believe a birthday is a major event however.  Tomorrow is DD's 20th, we are going to dinner.

That said - she has the right to invite, and you have the right to refuse.  My darling granddaugther had her Bday at one of these incredible loud places that I knew would send me into some sort of breakdown.  I went, dropped off her present and kissed her, and left.

turnip

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »
I'm failing to be outraged by this as well.   Sounds like a friendly reminder that if you want to come, you may need to take the time off.   Who knows what conversations preceded the reminder?

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »
OP, I think you are reading too much into it, esp since the party is scheduled on a weekend.  I would assume that she is pointing this information towards someone specific but put it in the update to everyone. Unless she is questioning why people *aren't* taking the day off for the party, I'd just ignore and decline.  No biggie.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
Ok I'm glad I'm not crazy and she is coming across wrong!  Anyways, the party is scheduled for a Saturday.  I am off on Saturdays but the way she expects people to take a day off if they were working that day rubs me the wrong way.  Also Saturdays are the only day DH and I have off together and I usually have homework to do.  However, even without those things I wouldn't be interested in going.

Wait - so the party is on the weekend, and you don't work on weekends?   

I think the fact that you simply don't want to go to the party is clouding your judgment on this one.     She made a comment on her Facebook page that clearly wasn't directed at you (seeing you don't need to take the day off) and for all you know might be specifically in regards to somebody who has said that they will be taking the day off to attend.   I really don't see anything wrong with any of this.   If you don't want to go, don't go.   Obviously if she were hounding people to attend despite sending their regrets then that's another matter, but I presume that hasn't happened?
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"