Author Topic: What should I do with my pork chops?  (Read 6133 times)

LB

What should I do with my pork chops?
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
Tell me about your favorite way to prepare pork chops for dinner, please. I need inspiration!

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Re: What should I do with my pork chops?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »
We dip ours in flour, egg, and bread crumbs and pan-fry them.  Not the healthiest method, but very tasty--especially for sandwiches!  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Jones

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
I slice flavorful apples, put the apples in a backing pan with some brown sugar, put the pork on top. Sounds funny that it's sweet, but really it's quite good. Plus, you have baked apples on the side.

ETA: This recipe, approximately
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pork-chops-and-apples/cf59fc41-95ec-4a5e-8d59-444dddb05627

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:51:25 PM by Jones »

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:49:52 PM »
Eat them.

ETA: Okay, sorry. The thread title just struck me funny, and I started thinking all the things one might do with pork chops (ear muffs! percussion instruments! frisbees!).

I'm not a huge fan of pork chops, but my mom used to make Swiss steak, and I devoured them that way. I have no recipe or anything. I just remember that it was always delicious, no matter what precise method she used.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:52:23 PM by MrsJWine »

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
If they are thick cut (at least 3/4 inch): Rub with salt, pepper and (whole) fennel seeds. Heat some olive oil in a sauce pan large enough to hold all chops side by side. Brown from both sides, then add enough red wine to almost submerge them, cook on low heat until done. If you have some fresh fennel you can slice it and throw on top after adding the wine.

Julep

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »
My favorite is to marinate them at least 12 hours in AhSo sauce, grill (you don't want to have to clean that stuff off a pan), and serve with fried rice, though they're good with white rice too. And broccoli.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
I tend to stay away from pork chops (the whitest meat from pork) because the meat seems to dry out, so I'm watching this thread with interest. I'm probably cooking it wrong.

LDH used to butterfly 2-inch thick pork chops and stuff them with a mixture of crab meat, finely chopped mushrooms, onions, spices, and cheese . . . The best thing about those chops was the stuffing. The meat still seemed dry. I'm thinking that it was over cooked.

OT: I like pork steaks (the darker meat) . . . slow cooked on the grill with a good bbq sauce. Or slow cooked in the oven (325 for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours) soaked in a very small amount of vinaigrette . . . viniger, spicy brown mustard, salt, pepper, and a dash of garlic. end OT.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

crella

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 05:11:57 AM »
I salt and pepper them, put them in a marinade of equal amounts of honey and olive oil, and add thyme and sage. An hour or so is enough. You can braise them on all sides in a frying pan before you bake them in the oven if you like, or just bake them....190C (help, I can't remember what that is in Fahrenheit , 375?) for 20 minutes. You can make a little foil tray to cook broccoli, potatoes or onions along with them, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt.

i just made this today for friends that came for lunch, they enjoyed it.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
I use my crockpot.  Chops are thoroughly cooked but very tender.  Put about 1/2 cup of apple juice and the porkchops in the crockpot, turn on low, cook all day (I leave in the morning at 7:00 and return about 6:00).

LB

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »
This is why I love starting threads like this. Almost everyone has a different idea and I can save them all up to try at different times.

Thanks!

Lynnv

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »
I love pork chops.  Or at least I do now (we won't talk about the bits of leather that my mother-in-law and my mom both serve).

I grill them a lot.  First get really thick cut chops (about 2 inches) so that they can go on the grill for a while without drying out.

Brine them.  I use a plain salt water brine, but you could add other flavors if you wanted.  At least a couple of hours-up to 5 or 6.

Rinse the brine off and pat them dry.  Add dry rub to taste (I like one with cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and whatever sounds good).  Heat up a chimney full of charcoal while some wood chips or chunks are soaking.  If you use chips, make an aluminum foil packet for them.  Pile the coals on one side of the grill.  Add the chips/chunks.

Cook chops on cooler side of grill until 145F (they are done, but not overdone, at this point).  Then brown them on the hot side for a couple of minutes.  Rest for 20-30 minutes.  Yummy.

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
When my son finished boot camp (he's Navy) and came home for the first time, this is what he asked me to make.

(4) Pork chops - season with salt and pepper and a bit of garlic powder
Medium Chopped Onion
2 Cans Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup (Campbells)
Splash of Milk
Olive Oil

Brown pork chops and chopped onion in olive oil in a frying pan (both sides).
Take them out of the pan and put in the soup (it willl deglaze the pan - really - I never thought it would but it DOES!)  Stir the soup up and add a splash of milk to make it gravy consistency.  Put the pork chops back in and cover with the gravy. Put a lid on it, turn down the stove, and SIMMER - don't boil - it for about an hour - stirring every once in awhile so it doesn't scorch.  Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.

He ate all four himself that night. :D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
I use my crockpot.  Chops are thoroughly cooked but very tender.  Put about 1/2 cup of apple juice and the porkchops in the crockpot, turn on low, cook all day (I leave in the morning at 7:00 and return about 6:00).

I'm going to have to try that. It sounds amazing!

This is why I love starting threads like this. Almost everyone has a different idea and I can save them all up to try at different times.

Thanks!

POD! Thanks for starting this thread! ;D

Instantkarma

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
I dont really like pork chops but I do like them if they have been partially fried and then tossed into spaghetti sauce.  The sauce keeps it tender and the longer you cook it the better it tastes.