Author Topic: What should I do with my pork chops?  (Read 5698 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: What should I do with my pork chops?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »
I'll 2nd the recommendation for this crockpot recipe - http://52weeks-52recipes.blogspot.com/2011/09/week-38-peking-pork-chops.html

I usually have good luck if I put them in a 9X13 baking dish, pour a lot of yummy sauce over them, cover with foil, bake for 30 mins then turn and bake another 15 or so. I tend to have better luck with the bone-in chops. Boneless usually dries out no matter what I do.

The other day we bought some really thick boneless chops and I was worried they'd be dry and/or chewy. DH fixed them up with lots of seasoning and then cooked them on a grill over our fire pit (so a wood-burning fire, not gas or briquettes) and holy cow were they good. I mean like better than steak good!

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »
I do not like pork, but I *love* this recipe:  Tennesse Whiskey Pork Chops.  The recipe calls for bone-in chops, but I've done it with boneless as well (I just adjusted the cooking times).

I serve it with wilted spinach, sauteed apples and mashed sweet potatoes.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
Bake them layered with sliced tart apples and sauerkraut. Sounds awful, tastes wonderful!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Pioneer

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »
I'm not a huge a pork lover, but occasionally make pork chops.  Basically Missy2U's recipe, but I use the crock pot.  As jpcher mentioned, pork can get quite dry.

Pork Chops, brown and toss into crock pot
Golden Mushroom Condensed Soup & Cream of Whatever Condensed Soup (mushroom, chicken, celery) and Water to de-glaze frying pan, then poured into crock pot

Hours later, prepare Mashed Potatoes & Corn
(File under "Comfort Food" and please don't tell my doctor, eh?)
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »
Thanks, JenJay!  :D

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »
I haven't had pork chops in years!  It's funny, I was eyeing some pork chops at the market just yesterday and couldn't get any inspiration on how to make them - I was standing there looking at them for way longer than would seem normal so I left them in the store. Thanks to this thread, I'm gonna pick them up next time and give some of these ideas a try!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »

Oh my gosh, I seriously had NO idea that was your blog!! I just saw the link in your post and went "Oh yeah, that's a good one!"

Okay now I'm trying to figure out if I first found that recipe because you posted it here or if I've just outted myself as an accidental stalker. LOL! Either way the chops are great! I make them at least once a month. :D

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 04:35:38 AM »

Oh my gosh, I seriously had NO idea that was your blog!! I just saw the link in your post and went "Oh yeah, that's a good one!"

Okay now I'm trying to figure out if I first found that recipe because you posted it here or if I've just outted myself as an accidental stalker. LOL! Either way the chops are great! I make them at least once a month. :D

Stalker or not, you just made my day :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

LeveeWoman

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Put your favorite dried dressing into a large baggie and break it up into much smaller pieces. Dump that into a shallow dish. Then, dip your chop into a mixture of two eggs and a bit of either milk or water and then coat them with the dressing. Bake at 300 F for about 30 minutes.

amylouky

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »
I definitely need to save this thread. About the most creative I get is dipping them in egg, coating with crushed goldfish crackers, and baking. :)

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »
When my son finished boot camp (he's Navy) and came home for the first time, this is what he asked me to make.

(4) Pork chops - season with salt and pepper and a bit of garlic powder
Medium Chopped Onion
2 Cans Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup (Campbells)
Splash of Milk
Olive Oil

Brown pork chops and chopped onion in olive oil in a frying pan (both sides).
Take them out of the pan and put in the soup (it willl deglaze the pan - really - I never thought it would but it DOES!)  Stir the soup up and add a splash of milk to make it gravy consistency.  Put the pork chops back in and cover with the gravy. Put a lid on it, turn down the stove, and SIMMER - don't boil - it for about an hour - stirring every once in awhile so it doesn't scorch.  Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.

He ate all four himself that night. :D

I made this for lunch and it was mucho yummy!  Thank you Missy2U!  The only thing I think I messed up on was I didn't make the soup per the label so the gravy, after simmering, became thicker than needed.  Easy fix: next time make the soup per the directions by adding a can of water.  I hope that will correct it.  Let me know if it's wrong.

In either case, it was still very good! :)  I am awed that your son was able to eat 4 chops though! Just one was very rich and filling.  Soooo yummy!!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »
How about brushing with dijon mustard, sprinkling with salt and pepper and broiling until internal temp reaches 165.

Works great on steak too.

Chip2

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »
For the thick cut chops I marinate them in a brine of salt, brown sugar, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Then I cook them on a very hot griddle pan for 4 minutes, rotate 90 degrees, cook 4 minutes, turn, cook 4 minutes, rotate, cook 4 minutes. I get beautiful grill marks on the chops and the inside is nice and juicy. I top them with caramelized onions. Yum!