Author Topic: Picnic foods  (Read 976 times)

MrsCrazyPete

Picnic foods
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
So we are planning a picnic for Memorial Day weekend at a local winery. They have tables but on popular day (ie Memorial Day) they are jam packed, and so DH and I will bring a blanket and eat on the grounds.

For that reason, I want to bring foods that arent very messy or that don't really need plates. I guess picnic finger foods. I'm going to make the stuff for chicken salad sandwiches but we'll just scoop it onto crackers rather than make actual sandwiches.

I'd love to make something sort of fancy, if anyone has any ideas! Just stuff that travels well and isn't a mess to eat would be great!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Picnic foods
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »
Hummus and veggie sticks or pita?  Carrots, celery and peppers go well, cucumber not so much.

Bruschetta?  Make up the filling ahead and put it on crackers or those little toast things.

A selection of fancy cheeses and fancy crackers, with grapes and other fruit?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »
Caprese on a stick:

Get marinated baby-mozarella and good quality grape tomatoes.  Thread toothpicks with one of each.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
A muffaletta sandwich
quiche or onion tart

Check the library or bookstore - there are several books on preparing food for picnics that will have "fancy" recipes and ideas.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
This is my absolute favorite sandwich.  I've made many times, cut into smallish slices, and taken to picnics and is faboulous with wine.  I forgo the lettuce if taking on a picnic.  I'll usually serve with small skewers of marinated tomatoes, mozerella, and zuchinni. 

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grilled-Ham-Cheese-and-Salami-with-Caper-Relish-107645