Author Topic: Re: I'm gonna do it . . . Turducken. MENU #13 . . . UPDATE #21  (Read 3844 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
I posted a while ago in Time for a Coffee Break (http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=115363.0) about my DD#2's HS graduation party. After doing research, calling around, the decision is made. I'm gonna do it.

I'll be ordering the large Turducken with Andouille-Cornbread stuffing (serves 25) from Heberts. It comes with instructions for gravy.

The guest list is 20-30+ people (not finalized yet) Mostly adults and late-teens. Maybe a child or two thrown in.

It's time to firm up my menu, so I'm asking all of you wise and wonderful cooks out there for suggestions on sides and appetizers. Something along the lines of a traditional T-giving dinner but with a summer twist.

Like corn. Summer twist -- I would love to do corn on the cob, but it's too early yet. I know they have the frozen 1/2 cobs (I would order a bunch from my grocery store) but have never had frozen corn on the cob before . . . would this be tacky?

Cranberries -- I don't like cranberries, but I'm sure there are some summer cranberry salad recipes out there . . . any suggestions? I'd like to stay away from Jello's.

Potatoes -- I'm going to make 10 lbs of my potato salad, so we're good on the potatoes, but if somebody has a good potato-type appetizer? Or maybe? should I oven-bake french fries?

I was thinking about cornbread -- but the turducken has cornbread stuffing. Too much cornbread? What should I do for bread? Maybe a tray or two of crescent rolls?

Green bean casserole -- Summer twist, I've had some green bean salads that were yummy . . . but I'm not fond of green beans (so I don't have any recipes), any help in this area would be appreciated.

I will also have a fresh garden salad along with a fruit salad . . . but maybe I should serve fresh fruit as appetizers instead?

So that's about it for my main meal . . .

On to appetizers . . .

The standard cheese/salami logs/crackers, relish trays, deviled eggs, chips-n-dips. Any suggestions here? (I do have a lot of apps that are my go-tos, but maybe something special? Unless you all think I have enough food already! ;D)

Timing . . .

Graduation ceremony starts at noon. Guests arrive at 3. I should have enough time (1/2 hour or more) before guests arrive to put out the beginning of the apps. I'm figuring dinner to start between 4:30-5:00.

Everything needs to be ready to go before I leave for the ceremony . . . I'm cooking the Turducken in my roaster, so I'll have oven space for any apps or dinner things.

Phew! I'm worn out just thinking about this! ;D

Any suggestions (Recipes! Ideas! ;D) that you would be able to help me with would be much appreciated.

Thank you! ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:35:30 PM by jpcher »

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: I'm gonna do it . . . Turducken. Please help with sides.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »
Grilled sweet potato wedges. Or roasted. Either way. Now I have a sweet potato craving.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
Frozen corn ears are lovely, easy to handle, and take minimal effort on your part. If you want to fancy it up, try making a compound butter or other special topping. Alternately, you can do a corn and black bean salad type of dish, which is always lovely.

For cranberries, you can do a pasta salad with cranberries, chopped grapes, slivered almonds, some blue or feta cheese, and a vinagrette. Cucumber or celery added are nice, too. Easy, make ahead preferred, and cool to pair with the hot turducken

For green beans, how about doing some Chinese wrinkled string beans? You may even be able to get them by the pound at a local restaurant, they reheat well, and are good cold too. They usually have a slightly spicy sauce, which will give some kick to things.

For bread, how about some snowflake or potato rolls? Most bakeries carry one or the other, and they are light, no prep needed, and go with everything.

I'd save the fruit for an appetizer - fresh fruit, maybe with a yoghurt dip, is easy, pretty, and can be done up in advance and kept on ice or in the fridge easily. You can often get the fruit ready-to-serve at the grocery store, too! Along with a cheese/salami plate, some good dips (maybe a seafood salad kind of dip, and a cheesy ranch or cheddar-y kind of dip?, maybe even hummus?) and you should be good to go. Remember, nibbles up front are NIBBLES, not a second meal (my grandmother does this all the time, and no one wants to eat the meal!)

buvezdevin

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
I made a bean salad for a big group party last summer, it was very popular, and I will be making it again this summer.  It was a mix of fresh and canned beans, with mint and a a vinaigrette.  Fresh green beans were important, but as I could not find fresh wax beans, I used canned and they worked fine though I would use fresh if available - and I can't find the recipe I used just now, but below are some similar recipes - and there are a number which might appeal to you if you google "bean salad recipe" and add any particular tastes you might like, nuts, herbs, etc.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Full-of-Beans-Salad-106660
http://www.grouprecipes.com/14813/minty-fresh-bean-salad.html
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
I'd go with cajun theme or southern sides.

Hoppin John is great to make before hand  or you can do Texas Caviar that is served cold as a dip.  Maque Choux would also be a great way to include corn. 

A salad made from grilled yellow squash &  zuchinni with corn, cucumbers, and tomatoes would be a good summer addition.  Adding a dressing of olive oil, lemon, and thyme would compliment the seasoning of the turkey.

For another appetizer, there is a recipe on Allrecipes for Cajun Appetizer Meatballs that is really good.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
Like corn. Summer twist -- I would love to do corn on the cob, but it's too early yet. I know they have the frozen 1/2 cobs (I would order a bunch from my grocery store) but have never had frozen corn on the cob before . . . would this be tacky?

I bought corn in the produce section last week. Three ears for a dollar.
Words mean things.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »
* i don't like the frozen corn on the cob. How about a corn salad? relish?
* cranberries - i vote for not messin' with this.  ;D and just serve the jelled kind, but that's me. you can make a big green salad (mixed greens and lettuce) with red onion, and sprinkle with cranberries. serve with honey/mustard dressing
*potatos i think you have enough... i like the idea of roasted sweet potato wedges.
*green bean - the easiest summer dish is to lightly steam/blanch them and then pour over a homemade herb vinaigrette and let it chill.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mikayla

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Great ideas here!  The only thing I can add is -- have you ever made creamed corn the southern way?  I found this googling but it seems pretty close to the way my family makes it.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cornrecipes/r/bl50823h.htm

The only downside is that, while it's super easy, it does take a little time to get the kernels off the cob.  But I can promise it's heaven! 

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
For the cranberries; How about making a salad with fresh spinach, some chopped walnuts, crumbled blue cheese and some dried cranberries. All it needs is a simple vinaigrette, possibly using raspberry vinegar and walnut oil.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
Why not do a three-bean salad? Green beans + wax beans + kidney beans + chopped green pepper + a dressing made of vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper = one good side dish.

edited to fix a spelling error
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:32:10 PM by readingchick »

Stirling

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
When I make Turducken (from scratch) I serve it with southern greens and ranch beans.  If I have left over stuffing from making the Turducken I will serve them too.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »
Grilled sweet potato wedges. Or roasted. Either way. Now I have a sweet potato craving.

Excellent thought. I'll do this instead of the oven french fries I was thinking of. It keeps up with the theme.

Frozen corn ears are lovely, easy to handle, and take minimal effort on your part. If you want to fancy it up, try making a compound butter or other special topping. Alternately, you can do a corn and black bean salad type of dish, which is always lovely.

That's good to hear, however there's an opposing view down thread about the frozen cobs . . . maybe I'll stick with a corn salad of some sort.

The Revenant -- trust me, if I see fresh corn on the cob this will be my first choice! Where are you located? (I'm in the Chicago area.)

Hmmmmm (how on earth do I post your name so that people know that I'm addressing you instead of just thinking? LOL!) I like the cajun spin. Great idea. It keeps with the andouille/cornbread stuffing theme. Maybe a cajun dip or two with the apps would work.

* cranberries - i vote for not messin' with this.  ;D and just serve the jelled kind, but that's me.

I have a few guest who vie over the jelled kind at Tgiving dinner.  Easy, peasy! ;D Thanks for that thought.

Plus I like the idea that others posted of the dried cranberries added to a fresh garden salad.

*green bean - the easiest summer dish is to lightly steam/blanch them and then pour over a homemade herb vinaigrette and let it chill.

Do you have a recipe for vinaigrette that would go with the beans? (What herbs to add?) I'm really liking this idea . . . I can add slivered almonds and dried cranberries.

When I make Turducken (from scratch)

You are my hero! ;D Do you debone the birds yourself? or get them deboned from the butcher? After reading the responses from my previous thread (along with other research) I felt this was beyond my culinary experience.

Great ideas here!

I totally agree.;D I see my menu falling into place, thanks to all of your help.

Hmmm (no, not you specifically! ;D) still thinking about the corn and maybe some recipes for cajun-style dips?

I have 2 weeks before the party, so any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm having fun! ;D

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:13:26 AM »

Do you have a recipe for vinaigrette that would go with the beans? (What herbs to add?) I'm really liking this idea . . . I can add slivered almonds and dried cranberries.

sorry, i'm not a 'follow-a-recipe' kind of cook. i just mix olive oil and lemon juice (or use vinegar or part vinegar part lemon, approx 2 parts oil to 1 part lemon/vinegar), pinch of sugar or honey and then get creative - add a little mustard and/or garlic, salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you like - i usually add thyme and /or oregano, but to keep with the thanksgiving theme, i'm wondering if sage might work also (just a bit ). taste it - dip a little piece of cucumber or celery and see if it's tasty/not too tart/just enough bite.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »
Thanks to everybody for your help! ;D

Thinking out loud here . . . It looks like the menu will be:

Appetizers (ready on the table at 3:00 when guests start to arrive):

-- Cheese/sausage platter

-- Veggie platter (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery sticks, snow peas, broccoli and cauliflower)

-- A variety of crackers along with some chips to go with the dips

-- Dips (that I just ordered from the place where I'm getting the turducken) Alligator, Shrimp, Crawfish and crab. Probably should have a simple ranch and french onion dip.

-- Deviled eggs

Main meal (ready by 4:30-5:00):

-- Turducken w/gravey.

-- Potato salad (it's a must do)

-- Corn on the cob*

-- Blanched Bean salad with almonds (I do like the dressing thoughts, cicero, I think this will be a refreshing salad option.)

-- Fresh garden salad with dried cranberries

-- Canned jellied cranberries

-- Oven baked sweet potato wedges

-- Dinner rolls

Dessert:

ARG! Do I need to serve dessert? Maybe a cake from the bakers. (Or ask my mom for her carrot cake . . . but then, she'd be the only person bringing anything.)

How does that sound? Am I missing anything? Should I cut out anything? Too much? Not enough variety?

Again, I really appreciate everybody's help. I was trying to talk DD#2 into a restaurant event . . . but now that I've got a menu, etc. I think this will be fun.

(*DD#1 just told me that someone served fresh corn on the cob, so I guess it's available here. Yea!)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: I'm gonna do it . . . Turducken. Please help with sides. MENU #13
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
Ooh, if you're going to do corn on the cob, and you have room in your oven, bake it in the husk at 350 for half an hour. It's magical. Let's just say I don't even need butter and salt to enjoy it (and I will butter and salt just about everything).

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah