Author Topic: Dad Forgot the Steaks - any other ideas to go with Dill Rice? UPDATED - Thanks!  (Read 1092 times)

NyaChan

My mom and I made some super yummy dill rice to go with steaks for dinner tonight.  Just one problem - I called Dad to see where he was and in the 5 hours since we last spoke, he completely forgot to get the steaks  :( Does anyone have any ideas for a main to go with the rice?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:59:02 PM by NyaChan »

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
Re: Dad Forgot the Steaks - any other ideas to go with Dill Rice?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
What proteins do you have at your disposal?

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:11:38 PM »
eggs, chicken, and what looks like either goat or beef chunks

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »
I'd send Dad back out, unless it's past eight where you are. I do not suffer the withdrawn promise of steak lightly.  ;D

Hmmm, for others ... I love eggs. Is the chicken cooked? If so, maybe scramble up some egg and shred the chicken into it. Put some cheese on it because, well, cheese improves everything.
Words mean things.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »
You could poach the eggs and serve them over the rice -- I love a poached egg.

You probably don't have time to marinate the chicken, but you could pound it flat, season it with salt and pepper, and fry it in oil (or a mix of oil and butter).

But I think this might be the best idea:

I'd send Dad back out, unless it's past eight where you are. I do not suffer the withdrawn promise of steak lightly.  ;D

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »
Haha I would have loved to send Dad back out to get them, but Mom was very hungry after a day out in the garden.  Thanks for the suggestions - I couldn't decide between meat and eggs and then I figured, why not have both as The Revenant suggested?  :) I ended up shredding up the beef and frying it up with Indian spices and then scrambling some eggs with milk and cream cheese to make them creamy.  Add in some sumac & it all worked out really well...but I'm still planning on demanding those steaks for tomorrow!