News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 19, 2015, 02:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gym Etiquette  (Read 22923 times)

RUkidding?

Re: Gym Etiquette
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »
If somebody is in the middle of lifting or pulling they are counting and concentrating.  For their safety and concentration that is not a good time to ask a question.  When they stop the movement to rest or change weights that is the best time to ask something.  I almost dropped a bar one day doing a bench press because some guy startled me when he started talking to me as I was in the middle of the press.  Not cool when balancing 100 lbs with my chicken arms. 

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2011, 12:53:13 AM »

This was said before and worth repeating again and again and....... please don't do curls in front of the weight rack.  If you insist on doing it and you are in my way; expect a hip check.   >:D  ok, I'm kidding but a girl can dream.

I agree, but I certainly wish some gyms didn't put the weight rack directly in front of the mirror. Most people want to be able to see themselves while lifting, so they can ensure they're using correct form.

If you are a trainer, we all know because at most gyms you wear a shirt that says, ironically enough, "Trainer".  We know where to find you if we want your services.  No, really.   

Again, I'm inclined to agree, but some gyms do require their trainers to speak to members/offer their services.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
This was said before and worth repeating again and again and....... please don't do curls in front of the weight rack.  If you insist on doing it and you are in my way; expect a hip check.   >:D  ok, I'm kidding but a girl can dream.

I agree, but I certainly wish some gyms didn't put the weight rack directly in front of the mirror. Most people want to be able to see themselves while lifting, so they can ensure they're using correct form.
I always use the mirrors with free weights, for this reason. At our gym the rack of weights is directly in front of the mirror. What people do is they stand a couple metres back from the mirror to do sets. This lets people get their weights and find their own spot to stand, or a bench. I think this is the best way to do it.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

RUkidding?

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2011, 10:14:04 PM »
That works.  :)

snowfire

« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
If people are in the hot tub, please ask before turning on the air jets.  Some people do not like the air jets at all. If you are sitting right in front of one when it is turned on it can actually be painful from the force of the jetted water.  The people who just walk by and turn on the jets when they don't even get in the hot tub are my biggest gripe. 

gadget--gal

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 04:34:51 AM »
Please don't interrupt somebody in the middle of a set for ANY reason.  Period.  Unless the building is on fire.....a really big fast moving fire.     

So am I supposed to use psychic powers to know how many reps you have in a set or if you are going to work through or switch off on machines? 

I've always understood it was okay to ask "how many sets left?" so I can determine if I want to wait to use a machine or find a different machine.  Also knowing if you are going to work abductor 1 set, the adductor 1 set lets me know I shouldn't plan on uninterrupted use for my 3 sets.

you wait for the person to finish the set , THEN ask how many reps or sets they have left :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »
Kids with the proper tag around their neck have just as much right to be in the work out area as you. When you gripe at me that they shouldn't be allowed in if it is busy - I'll tell you they are members and get to use the equipment.

When you deliberately
1. run to cut of the mom and daughter heading to the last 2 side by side treadmills that are free - pushing the girl out of the way.
2. Call over an employee to complain the mom isn't supervising the girl because they are separated by you in between them

I will tell the employee exactly what I witnessed and do the happy dance inside my head when you are asked to leave for putting your hands on the girl.

When 2 teen aged boys are being absolute gentlemen as they work out  following all the rules and you cuss them out for taking up a machine you want, I will complain about your foul language to the employee. If he doesn't kick you out, I'll ask if we need to get the manager. (Cursing is forbidden at the gym)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Spoder

« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2011, 06:28:38 AM »
Remove your band-aids, empty shampoo bottles. used wax strips, disposable razors, plastic bags and panty liners from the shower cubicle when you're done, and bin them.

You would think this was a no-brainer. Sadly, you'd be wrong. I am so tired of dodging some entitled person's garbage while I shower.

>:(

JoW

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »
Yes, I know this thread has been untouched for 3.5 years.  But this is important to the topic.  Please see posts 43-50 where we were discussing changing clothing in the toilet stalls. 

My club has a new sign on the door to the handicapped toilet stall in the ladies’ locker room.  It’s the handicapped logo (person in a wheelchair) and below that “Do not use for changing”. 

My club is associated with a hospital.  There are quite a few handicapped members, many of them doing water aerobics or water walking for therapy. Apparently there have been so many people using that stall to change clothing the handicapped people are having a hard time getting it.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2015, 06:40:41 PM »
There is a sign by the door of the dressing area that states quite clearly that there is no shaving in the whirlpool tub.  There is another sign by the whirlpool tub with a stylized razor and the barred circle over it. 

I cannot figure out who thinks that it is a good idea to shave their legs in a bubbling jaccuzzi...but I've also seen sweaty guys jump in after a round of hand ball in the courts - without showering and stripping off only their shoes, socks, and sweaty shirt.  Completely ignoring the sign in the dressing area (only way to get to the pool area is through the dressing area) stating that you have to shower before getting in the pool or tub and ignoring the second shower area by the side of the pool.  I left the whirlpool tub very quickly at that point. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:26:40 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TaterTot

« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2015, 11:29:24 PM »
If the gym provides hand-held dryers for drying your hair after showering, do not use this to dry your private parts. :o