Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Age Etiquette

<< < (2/11) > >>

marcel:

--- Quote from: Black Delphinium on May 19, 2012, 07:38:41 PM ---"When I was your age..." or "When I get to be your age..." are loaded phrases, think very carefully before using them.

--- End quote ---
But neither of these phrases is a s bad as the phrase "When you get older" Which is officialyy in the book of phrases one should never say to an adult.

snowdragon:
Age - either young or old is not an automatic pass to the front of the line. If your family dictates that's the case, then it works that way ONLY in situations where it's only your family - out in public or in other people's homes/event, other rules apply.

dks64:

--- Quote from: Garden Goblin on May 18, 2012, 02:22:18 PM ---1 - Unless you are my medical provider, you do not need to know my age
--- End quote ---

Not if you look under 35-45 (depending on the restaurant) and you order alcohol.. I can't serve someone who looks under 35 without a valid ID. Honestly... I don't care how old people are. People are too hung up on the number. 99% of the time, I look at an ID, hand it back, and have already forgotten the year. Really.

LadyStormwing:

--- Quote from: Garden Goblin on May 18, 2012, 02:22:18 PM ---1 - Unless you are my medical provider, you do not need to know my age

--- End quote ---

I would rephrase that as "Friends, acquaintances, ...etc, you do not need to know my age." (I can't think of a good way to word that right now.)

Employers need to know the ages of their employees to make sure they are in compliance with state and local labor laws. A labor law violation fine can be upwards of $10,000. There are certain tasks employees under the age of 18 can't do, such as work around heavy machinery, or work more than X feet off the ground. There are some exceptions for farmhands, but not many.

It's also a law that ID must be provided to purchase alcohol or tobacco. Stores can be shut down and owners arrested for failing to do so, especially those who sell alcohol to minors. (You must be 21 to purchase/consume alcohol in the US, 18 to purchase tobacco products.)

TurtleDove:
I don't really understand why people are sensitive about having others know their age - can someone explain it to me?  I don't exactly broadcast my age, but I also don't lie about it or make it a closely held secret.  If anything it seems like people would want to inflate their age as they get older to elicit comments of "You look AWESOME for being ____!!!!"   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version