Author Topic: Age Etiquette  (Read 20770 times)

Garden Goblin

Age Etiquette
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »
1 - Unless you are my medical provider, you do not need to know my age
2 - Existing on this planet for X years does not automatically make you the superior of someone who has existed on this planet for X minus Y years.
3 - People get old.  You will too.
4 - Old people and young people are allowed to have lives, interests, hobbies, etc...
5 - Regardless of era, music should be played at a volume reasonable for all present
6 - Age does not automatically confer wisdom, nor does lack of age automatically indicate the absence of intelligence
7 - Not all old people are deaf and/or senile
8 - Not all young people are deaf and/or dumb
9 - Neither being the oldest or youngest in the room grants you the automatic and indisputable right to the last slice of pie, especially if you've already had a piece.
10 - The stereo does not need to be turned up to 11, whether it be playing the oldies or the hits of today
11 - Neither great age nor great youth confer the automatic right to determine the channel setting of the television
12 - Respect is a privilege, not a right.  It can be lost.
13 - Neither great age nor great youth confer the right to say what you please or behave without regard for the wellbeing of anyone else.
14 - A 49th birthday is not automatically more special than a 5th birthday, barring other extenuating circumstances, priority will be given to invitations in the order in which they arrive.
15 - If my fillings are rattling, the music is too loud, that has nothing to do with not understanding the music of your generation, whichever generation that may be.
16 - Both old and young people are allowed to exist in public
17 - Neither the very old nor the very young exist solely for the purpose of entertainment
18 - Both the very old and the very young occasionally require additional aid and patience, you did once, you will again
19 - Your generation achieved X, my generation achieved Y, the next generation will achieve Z, none of which makes any of us superior to any other
20 - The music of your generation is just as irritating at high volume as the music of other generations
21 - Every generation blames the one that came before and the one that came after, all with the same level of accuracy.
22 - Neither retainers nor dentures need be openly displayed and left on the dinner table for someone else to deal with
23 - The topic of bowel movements does not need to come up at the table, regardless of the great age or great youth of the individual involved
24 - Your parents also complained about 'kids today'
25 - Fix your hair, pull up your pants, and get away from my stereo

Nika

Re: Age Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »
*Applauds*
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:57:24 AM »
26. If I can hear the music with my hearing aids out and bedroom door closed, it's too.dingdangity.loud. Turn it down! (And I happen to be 25...)

Captains Flat, Australia

nuit93

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »
Older people can have love lives too.  They even *gasp* have sex!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »
"When I was your age..." or "When I get to be your age..." are loaded phrases, think very carefully before using them.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

marcel

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:51:17 AM »
"When I was your age..." or "When I get to be your age..." are loaded phrases, think very carefully before using them.
But neither of these phrases is a s bad as the phrase "When you get older" Which is officialyy in the book of phrases one should never say to an adult.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

snowdragon

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
Age - either young or old is not an automatic pass to the front of the line. If your family dictates that's the case, then it works that way ONLY in situations where it's only your family - out in public or in other people's homes/event, other rules apply.

dks64

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:48:23 AM »

Not if you look under 35-45 (depending on the restaurant) and you order alcohol.. I can't serve someone who looks under 35 without a valid ID. Honestly... I don't care how old people are. People are too hung up on the number. 99% of the time, I look at an ID, hand it back, and have already forgotten the year. Really.

LadyStormwing

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »

I would rephrase that as "Friends, acquaintances, ...etc, you do not need to know my age." (I can't think of a good way to word that right now.)

Employers need to know the ages of their employees to make sure they are in compliance with state and local labor laws. A labor law violation fine can be upwards of $10,000. There are certain tasks employees under the age of 18 can't do, such as work around heavy machinery, or work more than X feet off the ground. There are some exceptions for farmhands, but not many.

It's also a law that ID must be provided to purchase alcohol or tobacco. Stores can be shut down and owners arrested for failing to do so, especially those who sell alcohol to minors. (You must be 21 to purchase/consume alcohol in the US, 18 to purchase tobacco products.)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
I don't really understand why people are sensitive about having others know their age - can someone explain it to me?  I don't exactly broadcast my age, but I also don't lie about it or make it a closely held secret.  If anything it seems like people would want to inflate their age as they get older to elicit comments of "You look AWESOME for being ____!!!!"   8)

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »
I feel the same way, TurtleDove, and I say this as a person who actually has a phobia about aging. I've had a panic attack for each birthday from 29 on. I earned the right to claim those birthdays!

kitty-cat

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 02:32:42 PM »
Yes I'm young. Yes I have a cane. I don't like it, but I'm pretty sure you don't like having one either.

(In other words, not all young people are in perfect health. Just because I'm only 21, that doesn't mean that I don't need the cane.)

NE Florida

Garden Goblin

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »
I don't really understand why people are sensitive about having others know their age - can someone explain it to me?  I don't exactly broadcast my age, but I also don't lie about it or make it a closely held secret.  If anything it seems like people would want to inflate their age as they get older to elicit comments of "You look AWESOME for being ____!!!!"   8)

I don't really care if people know how old I am.  However, outside of particular circumstances (buying liquor, visiting the doctor, filling out a form for which the birth date is required, etc..), I find I am only asked my age when someone is making some kind of stereotype or judgement about the issue.  Thus, while I tend not to care if folks know, I do get annoyed when folks ask or when they try to use my age to make an opinion I hold somehow invalid or behavior I engage in not allowed.

From the incident that sparked this post, I'm 'too old' to sit on my husband's knee or to sit behind him on the couch while he sits in the floor and give him a neck rub.  I'm also too young to have a headache or sore knee.

I'm also 'too young' to know anything about A) music, B) children, C) politics, and D) religion.  I'm also apparently too old to know anything about A) music, B)children, C) politics, and D) religion.  I must have missed the window.

AreaWoman

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
Please, for the love of puppies, do not make assumptions about someone's age based upon appearance alone.  Yes, I do look very young for someone who has been in the working world for 15 years.  Yes, I'm sure it would be flattering if this were not a professional context.  No, I don't like being told I am a mere child, particularly since experience is a highly valued commodity in my business.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »
Please, for the love of puppies, do not make assumptions about someone's age based upon appearance alone.  Yes, I do look very young for someone who has been in the working world for 15 years.  Yes, I'm sure it would be flattering if this were not a professional context.  No, I don't like being told I am a mere child, particularly since experience is a highly valued commodity in my business.

Thank you! I get mistaken for much younger than I actually am a lot of the time.

An addition to this rule: Don't tell the younger-looking person they'll appreciate looking younger when they're older. It's insensitive to the fact that everyone thinks they're really young now, and it's hard to be taken seriously now.

For the record, this comes from many people asking how my "12-year-old" self drove to Wal-Mart/Target/other shopping area. I'm 21; it's getting old.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."