Author Topic: Age Etiquette  (Read 19169 times)

TheaterDiva1

Re: Age Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 07:09:30 AM »
10 - The stereo does not need to be turned up to 11, whether it be playing the oldies or the hits of today

What if I was listening to Spinal Tap?  ::) :P

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »
It's irritating and rude, imo, to insinuate that the problems of the world are solely the fault of the younger generations.  Spoiled children, oversharing, and the downfall of your idea of music are not new things. :)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

dks64

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
It's irritating and rude, imo, to insinuate that the problems of the world are solely the fault of the younger generations.  Spoiled children, oversharing, and the downfall of your idea of music are not new things. :)

Agree.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
A cashier said to me that I would be perfect to work with police to help catch pedophiles. Not sure whether to laugh or facepalm.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »

Agree.

Besides, the thing is that with a lot of pop stars with music to appeal to teenyboppers are probably being managed or produced by people who are either parents or old enough to be parents to these teenyboppers.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
A little bit of a tangent, but age is still a factor:

Statements like "They don't make marriages like that anymore" (IME, usually said by older couples) when speaking of an older couple who has been married a long time is kind of insulting to younger couples. Just because someone's marriage has only lasted 5 years so far doesn't mean they're not going to make it to 50+.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »
The same assumption made just because a couple met when they were young is insulting as well. I don't know how many people blatantly assumed my husband and I were going to break up at some point early on just because we were only 15 and 16 when we started going out. We knew the odds weren't in our favor, but that didn't make it any less aggravating to hear remarks about "when you two break up."

ETA: FTR we are 32 and 33 now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:24:58 PM by Martienne »

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
A little bit of a tangent, but age is still a factor:

Statements like "They don't make marriages like that anymore" (IME, usually said by older couples) when speaking of an older couple who has been married a long time is kind of insulting to younger couples. Just because someone's marriage has only lasted 5 years so far doesn't mean they're not going to make it to 50+.

Plus the older you are when you get married the less likely you are to make it to 50+ years. A lot of the people who made it that far go married right out of high school. I don't think having the median age for marriage go up is really a bad thing. It just is.

Mopsy428

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »
Do not call women "little girl". One, I can assure you that I am *not* a "little girl", and two, I'm pretty sure you'd be turning purple if I called you a middle-aged *something or other* or an "old ___________".

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »
Do not call women "little girl". One, I can assure you that I am *not* a "little girl", and two, I'm pretty sure you'd be turning purple if I called you a middle-aged *something or other* or an "old ___________".

Totally this.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 01:02:50 AM »

Totally this.

Hoo boy, I would be giving death glares if someone referred to me in that way.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 02:26:57 AM »

Totally this.

Hoo boy, I would be giving death glares if someone referred to me in that way.

Diddo except that I'd laugh in their faces first.  I'm 5'7" and what I like to refer to as "sturdy" or that I have hips like a brood mare.  I am also quite muscular because I prefer to be that way.  Next to "a girly girl", the most ironic thing you could say about me would be that I was a "little girl".  That would be what caused me to laugh before I glared.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nika

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
Also, when you find out someone's age, do not say "Aw, you're just a BABY!"

::)
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
And don't say the phrase "Don't you think you're a little OLD to be doing that?"

The response in my head to this phrase is not printable on E-hell.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
And don't say the phrase "Don't you think you're a little OLD to be doing that?"
The response in my head to this phrase is not printable on E-hell.
I agree. Who gets to decide that? That annoys me as well.
And evil JonGirl is old enough to know better and young enough not to care!  >:D
Stewart/Colbert '16