News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 21, 2017, 12:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O of Dining out on a company dime-Tipping on Tasting Menus  (Read 4781 times)

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Re: S/O of Dining out on a company dime-Tipping on Tasting Menus
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
Tipping percentages don't change due to high cost menu items.  You still tip 15-20%.

As for tipping on the wine - its not unusual at a place with a $250+ tasting menu to have a sommelier so yes you tip on the cost of wine, but its at least in large part going to a different person.

I am sure that they are skilled and that it involves more than setting down and clearing plates.  However, we have stated that one of the reasons we tip at such a high rate is to make up for the fact that servers do not make minimum and tipping is to ensure they get at least that much.  I believe the bill in the other thread mentioned was $1600 so 20% is not needed to get them past minimum and even with very skilled servers I have a hrad time believing that 15% or 18% or $1600 is not adequate recognition of those skills.  Many of the people I know with advanced degrees don't get paid that much for an entire day as compensation for their special skills.

I certainly wouldn't tip below 15% but I actually that anywhere from 15% and up is reasonable.

Have you ever done a tasting menu though?  Its beyond serving, its practically performance art.  Plus I have done about 6 high end tasting menus in my life - I have never been to one where there is just one waitstaff for a table with 3 or more diners - at bare minimum the service is one waiter per 2 guests... but even then there's usually separate people clearing, or even helping carry things out.  But as often as not while there is one waiter/announcer of the courses, there is a server per person - so that tip has to be split several ways.

I agree with WillyNilly - you don't dock tip because you ordered a high-priced item.  Especially with a tasting menu, the extra time the waiter is spending at your table is less time they have to take other tables.  They are accepting that they won't get tips or perhaps lesser tips from another table or two in order to serve you with the hope that the larger base amount will make up for that loss.  To dock them means they lost the other table's money in order to work harder for you.

I agree with this.  The tasting menu usually takes longer than a usual meal, so the waiter is spending more time on your table when he/she would normally get two tables during that same time period.