Author Topic: Recipes for someone who has never cooked  (Read 7063 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Recipes for someone who has never cooked
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »
One thing I'd think about, MrsJWine, is looking at recipes that don't have too many ingredients.  I think recipes requiring 6-10 spices, plus various other ingredients, are intimidating to new cooks.  Also, avoid ingredients that are unfamiliar.  I have no idea what quinoa is, there's no way I'm going to try a recipe when I don't know what it looks like or where to find it or how to use it.  You know?  Especially when he's new.  I'd also consider some "convenience" things... like chicken seasoning packet, so all he has to do is defrost the chicken and add the spice and cook it, etc.  I think that baby steps are in order for a new cook.  :)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
A couple of our favorites that also happen to be really easy -

A mildly spicy chicken soup -
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup/detail.aspx
I start with that but use 4 raw chicken breasts, leave out the corn and tortilla strips and add a can of rinsed black beans. DD and I garnish it with shredded cheese and sour cream.

Zuppa Toscana, really good! This has the potential to be really unhealthy but I buy organic full fat cream and sausage and bacon that are uncured and have no fillers, hfcs, etc. so I'm comfortable making it a couple times per month. We tend to go low sodium so we found the first batch to be a bit salty. Now we do 6 cups of broth and 4 cups water.
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/olive-gardens-zuppa-toscana-soup-recipe/

We make an amazing meatloaf that the kids devour -
1lb mild Ital. sausage
1lb ground turkey (can use burger)
2 cloves minced garlic (or a few shakes of powder)
onion to taste (we aren't big fans so I just do a bit of powder)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 egg
1/4C milk
1/4C grated Parmesan
1/2C almond meal (this is our breadcrumb substitute)

Mix everything well, I use my stand mixer. When it's well blended dump it onto a broiling pan and form it into a loaf shape. Bake at 400 for 45 mins. These can also be made into meatballs and baked at 375 for 30 minutes.

Do you have an account at allrecipes? I didn't know how to cook at all until about 8 years ago. One day I realized I was a SAHM to 3 kids aged bitty, 2 and 3, with a husband who loved to cook but worked 4pm to midnight, and maybe I ought to learn to make some dinners. lol. I'd browse the site for anything with a high rating, familiar ingredients and easy instructions. Maybe you should introduce him?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:21:18 PM by JenJay »

Isometric

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »
I know you have plenty here, but I'd just like to add that kid's cookbooks are extremely handy for those who aren't super chefs! I recieved a great one when I was a kid, and still use it today for easy, quick dinners! Most of the mains have some kind of vege and protein, and are very easy to follow.

Or since you love potatoes (like me!), we have fairly healthy baked jacket potatoes at home - he can soften in the microwave , then pop in the oven to crisp up. We top with things like butter, cheese, baked beans, ham/chicken, kidney beans or chick peas, and lots of salad - cucumber, tomato, lettuce and capsicum all work well! With some lite sour cream on top.

Instantkarma

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »
One thing I'd think about, MrsJWine, is looking at recipes that don't have too many ingredients.  I think recipes requiring 6-10 spices, plus various other ingredients, are intimidating to new cooks.  Also, avoid ingredients that are unfamiliar.  I have no idea what quinoa is, there's no way I'm going to try a recipe when I don't know what it looks like or where to find it or how to use it.  You know?  Especially when he's new.  I'd also consider some "convenience" things... like chicken seasoning packet, so all he has to do is defrost the chicken and add the spice and cook it, etc.  I think that baby steps are in order for a new cook.  :)
Quinoa is a grain, you cook it like rice and it's really yummy - easy to!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »
Some frozen items have recipes on them as well.  The Seabrook Farms frozen Creamed Spinach has a great baked potato recipe on the box.

amylouky

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
My favorite:

Chicken Ole:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes w/green chilies
Chili powder to taste (I use about 2 tablespoons)
Shredded cheddar cheese (about a cup, again, to taste)
1 can sliced black olives (optional)
Sour cream for topping

Mix together corn, tomatoes/chilies, olives, and chili powder. Put chicken breasts in a 9X13 baking pan (sprayed with cooking spray). Top with corn/tomato mix. Bake at 375 for 45 mins, then top with cheddar cheese and bake for another 15.
Serve with sour cream and tortillas if desired.

This makes a great freezer meal too, as you can just mix the corn/tomato stuff up, stick it in a bag with frozen chicken breasts, and thaw the whole bag out and dump it in a pan when you're ready to cook it.

Frog24

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »
"Homemade" mac & cheese:

Noodles
1 can cream of something soup (mushroom/chicken/broccoli)
1 c shredded cheese (cheddar/mozza)
1 tbsp butter
4 slices smoked turkey breast
pepper

Boil whatever noodles you have in the house, but do not salt the water.  Drain the noodles. 
Using the pasta pot, melt 1 tbsp butter.  Once melted, add the soup and pepper, but no water.  Stir the soup often until it heats through and is liquid.
Slice up the cold cuts into little cubes or strips.  Add to the soup.
Stir in the cheese, 1 handful at a time.  Make sure the cheese is melted before adding in the next handful of cheese.
Add the pasta back in and stir to coat.

No salt is required because the cheese and cold cuts provide the saltiness.

The options to "spice" this up are endless.  You can cook mixed frozen veggies with the pasta, add various spices to the cheese sauce, change up the cheese types, or steam some broccoli as a side dish(which is how we ate it last night). 

I found this much easier than making a traditional "from scratch" cheese sauce.

Frog 

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 02:58:37 PM »
You guys are great! Thanks again.

Yes, it's pretty simple. It's really delicious if you toast it dry in the pan before adding water. It can be pretty expensive, though. Here I can find it for about $3/lb, but back in Wisconsin, I think the cheapest I ever found it was $7/lb.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
You guys are great! Thanks again.

Yes, it's pretty simple. It's really delicious if you toast it dry in the pan before adding water. It can be pretty expensive, though. Here I can find it for about $3/lb, but back in Wisconsin, I think the cheapest I ever found it was $7/lb.

I usually make a big batch of quinoa and pull it out whenever I need a starch.  Try adding some lemon juice and lemon zest to the quinoa - very tasty that way. 

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
Just tagging on to learn a few things and to remind myself to finish reading the thread later when I have time!  Don't mind me - please carry on :)
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
Pasta Primavera for 4

4 oz extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
4 tsps Italian seasoning

4 cups vegetables; take any three of the following:
  • broccoli florets
  • cauliflower florets
  • baby carrots
  • cut asparagus
  • brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
  • fresh or frozen green peas

8 oz dry pasta, preferably vegetable, whole wheat, or protein-enhanced (like Barilla Plus)

Half an hour before cooking:  Infuse olive oil with garlic and Italian seasoning.

Prepare pasta according to al dente instructions.  Four minutes before end of pasta boiling time, add vegetables to pot.  Drain well, add infused olive oil, toss, and serve.  This also tastes good cold.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »
Slow cooker was my suggestion too... it's practically remedial cooking.  "Take items A, B, C, and D, throw them in the cooker, do something else for six hours."

No kidding.  Using the slow cooker is my favorite way of cooking.

One of my favorite recipes is Taco Soup.
1lb ground turkey breast/ground beef
1 onion chopped (I personally use onion powder)
1pkg ranch dressing/dip mix
1pkg taco seasoning
1 can pinto beans
1 can (though I tend to use frozen) corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can chili (I use 2 though for our family of 4)

Brown the meat with onion, then mix in the ranch powder and taco seasoning.  Drain the fat and then pour the meat mixture into the crockpot and mix with the rest of the ingredients.  Cook on low and it should be done in about 6 hours.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »
MrsJWine -- Did you have your week away yet? How did DH fare with the cooking?

Is he having fun learning? Are you having fun teaching?

What are his successes?

Curious minds want to know  ;)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
MrsJWine -- Did you have your week away yet? How did DH fare with the cooking?

Is he having fun learning? Are you having fun teaching?

What are his successes?

Curious minds want to know  ;)

I just got back a couple days ago, and it's been kind of crazy the last few weeks, so we haven't really taken the time otherwise to find things that would be good for a beginner. He did cook while I was gone, but he didn't try anything new, really. I'm a little annoyed, but I'm also glad he didn't get pizza every night. For instance, he cooked some chicken breasts on the George Foreman grill one evening. With no seasoning. He said it tasted pretty good after adding salt and pepper, but I'm glad I wasn't here. :P So, maybe next time. I bookmarked this thread so he can refer to it if I'm gone again anytime soon. Thanks!

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
I have a few suggestions. I love to cook, so do DH and DS, so we always have good stuff at home!

Chilaquiles

24 6" corn tortillas, cut into 1" pieces
2 teaspoons of oil
1 sweet or regular onion, medium chop (You need 1 1/2 cups total)
1 lb ground chicken, turkey, or lean ground beef
4 cups tomato juice
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups shredded cheddar

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spread the onion pieces on two rimmed cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes, shaking the pans halfway through cooking. Place oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté 1 cup of the onion until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Add chicken, cook until no longer pink, stirring often. Add tomato juice and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for 10 - 20 minutes. Place baked tortilla pieces in a non-reactive baking pan (stainless steel, ceramic or glass). Pour the sauce mixture over the tortilla pieces. Sprinkle the cheese on top, then the remaining onion. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes, or until bubbly. You can serve this topped with sour cream, olives, avocado, or anything else that sounds good.

Vegetable Noodle Stir-Fry
2 packets Ramen noodles
1 bag cole slaw mix (carrots and cabbage)
12 oz sliced mushrooms
1 lb raw shrimp, scallops, chicken, beef
1 - 2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce to taste

In a large non-stick skillet, add a teaspoon of oil, once it is shimmering, add the cole slaw mix and mushrooms, sauté for a few minutes, stirring often. Add noodles and enough chicken broth to rise halfway up the side of the pan. Cover the pan, steaming the noodles and vegetables for five minutes. You can either cook the protein in a separate pan or transfer the vegetable and noodle mixture to a bowl, then cook the protein. You can top this with bean sprouts for an added crunch.

I recommend the Cook's Illustrated family of magazines and websites for anyone learning to cook. Their recipes are tested to be fool proof.