Author Topic: Google Translate  (Read 1120 times)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
Google Translate
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »

On Facebook, I have friends from all over the world. They all speak English or French, but also a variety of first languages, in which they of course post updates. Once in a while, I get curious and translate what they post with Google. A Peruvian friend posted this in Spanish:

SOY PROFESORA ; y a veces he cambiado los ojos pintados por OJERAS; el cabello planchado por un MOÑO feo y despeinado, noches de fiesta por trasnochar planificando mis clases; carteras de moda por un BOLSO GRANDE (DONDE CABE HASTA EL PIZARRÓN). Soy maestra y NO ME IMPORTA NADA de lo que he tenido que dejar por el amor y la satisfacción de escuchar a un niño o niña...“MISS TE QUIERO". PEGA ESTO EN TU MURO SI AMAS SER MAESTRA..

And Google translate had this to say:

I am a teacher, and sometimes I have changed EYECUPS painted eyes, the hair pressing by a monkey ugly and messy, party nights by staying up all night planning my classes, portfolios of fashion for a BIG BAG (UP TO WHERE WHITEBOARD CABE). I'ma teacher and I do not care what I had to leave for the love and the satisfaction of hearing a child ... "I LOVE YOU MISS." Paste this into your WALL IF YOU LOVE TO BE MASTER ..

Monkey ugly and messy, eh?

Has Google Translate ever made you giggle?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:37:46 PM by BabylonSister »

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
Re: Google Translate
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
Every online translator I've used has made me giggle, or drop my jaw.. I couldn't remember any offhand, so I plugged in a couple of my favorite opera numbers. I picked the two funniest.

First, a line from "Trinke, Liebchen", in Act II of Johann Strauss II's Die Fledermaus:

In German, it's "Der uns äffet sehr" which, in English, is "Which mocks us greatly".

Babylon translation: "of the US affet very"   ;D - - Opera affects world relations!

Then there's this, from the end of the famous "Nessun Dorma!" (from Puccini's Turandot and sung by our hero, Calaf, with input from the chorus)

(Italian: "Dilegua, o notte!") which, in English, is "Vanish, o night!"

Babylon: "subsides, or night!"  ??? Interesting! I guess those folks in the chorus better "subsides", or Calaf will make it dark!

"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Nika

Re: Google Translate
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
Oh, I love to write something in English, translate it to some other language, then translate back to English to see what I end up with. It's good fun.

My favorite one? One time I wrote something about a clown, translated it to German (I think), and when I got it back it had changed clown to buffoonery teacher.

Buffoonery teacher! Ah, perfection.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."