Author Topic: stupid questions on official forms  (Read 8126 times)

mom2four

stupid questions on official forms
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:41:45 AM »
Does it ever bother you that official forms so often contain questions where you cannot possibly truthfully answer no, and yet you still know that a yes will get you in trouble.

Like the visa form I just filled out that had the following question:

"Have you been in a country that has infectious deceases within the last 30 days?"

Well unless you've spent the last 30 days on Antarctica how can you say no to that one.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: stupid questions on official forms
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
I'm fascinated by the brief questionnaire passengers are required to fill out at pier check-in.  The little form asks if you, or anyone in your party, has had several common symptoms of a virus or cold in the last few days. 

First of all who, after paying for the passage and showing up at check-in,  would admit to being

Also, who hasn't sneezed or cough in the last few days? 

Ofc course, it seems to be fate that as soon as I hand in the questionnaire I have to cough or sneeze.  :-\

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
The one in the blood donation questionnaire: Have you or anyone you know had a smallpox vaccination?

Well, yeah, everyone born before 1972 got one.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:21:17 PM »
Visa questionnaires are the best for this.

Are you or have you been involved in a terrorist organization?
Do you plan on overstaying your visa period or violating visa terms in any way?
DO you seek to participate in espionage, sabotage or any other illegal activities during your stay?
Are you coming to this country to participate in prostitution?
Have you ever participated in torture?
Have you ever order, assisted, incited, commited or participated in genocide?

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
Not to mention the various US IRS tax forms that ask you to declare illegal income from gambling, drug trafficking and/or smuggling exotic animals.

But, according to a friend who works for the IRS, the US government ones are so they can get you for lying if for nothing else. It worked on Al Capone.
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Nika

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »

DO you seek to participate in espionage, sabotage or any other illegal activities during your stay?

I think I would have to pass the form over to someone else and have them fill it in for me. I honestly would have a really hard time not checking yes to those.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »
The firearms licensing form  in Canada asks if you have been banned from owning guns, amongst other entertaining ones.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »

There is a reason behind them: Because if you plan on doing one or more of the but answer no, it's very easy to deport you because you lied when obtaining your visa.

Oh Joy

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
I've stopped filling out the questionnaire at our pediatricians' office at our wellness visits. 

I understand where they're coming from with carseats and firearms and sugary drink intake, but it's just too much.  For example, the domestic safety question includes asking if anyone in your family has ever been yelled at.  At (mumbledy-mumble) years old, of course DH and I have been yelled at in our lives.

I like this one from our citizenship application:
*  Have you ever been a habitual drunkard?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »

There is a reason behind them: Because if you plan on doing one or more of the but answer no, it's very easy to deport you because you lied when obtaining your visa.

I know :D In general, there is a good reason behind all the stupid questions on official forms. But they still sound stupid and ridiculous, because what sane person would answer yes to any of them?

Cutenoob

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
Not to mention the various US IRS tax forms that ask you to declare illegal income from gambling, drug trafficking and/or smuggling exotic animals.

But, according to a friend who works for the IRS, the US government ones are so they can get you for lying if for nothing else. It worked on Al Capone.
From what I understand, the IRS doesn't CARE how you got it, you just have to report it and/or tax on it. Maybe now there's a cross link between law enforcement (fed level) and IRS, but...illegal drug money got reported, and that was that. (from a person in a fed prison)

Nornster

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
Well unless you've spent the last 30 days on Antarctica how can you say no to that one.

Nope, even Antarctica would not disqualify you - there are definitely infectious diseases in Antarctica during the summer field season, due to people flying in and out all austral summer.  The American base I worked at had a flu-like illness called the "McMurdo crud" - I got it but bad.

Even during the isolated winter season, I imagine the people working there keep passing the same cold around until everyone's finally caught it - unless it mutates and everyone catches it again!

No mosquito-borne diseases, though - no mosquitoes!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
Not a questionnaire, but a friend's ex-DH applied to the FBI, and used me as a reference.  So I had a real live, (very cute) FBI agent come to my hosue to interview me and ask questions about him.

Stuff like "does he live beyond his means" which I get, and one which, although I don't recall exactly what it was, was something along the lines of did I think he was loyal to the USA, etc. (this was well before 9/11 too)  I wanted to be snarky in my response, as her DH was a grad of a service academy, and ex-military as well.  He was about as American as one gets.  He was accepted, but chose to go work for NSA instead doing something he could never talk about.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 02:03:16 AM »
My uncle worked for the FBI during college (some sort of internship or summer thing).  They have to check back 15 years.  My grandparents moved when he was 7.  Even so, the old neighbors called Grandma to let her know that an FBI agent came around to ask about my uncle - at age 6-7.  Did he gamble?  Did he do drugs?  Did he consort with mysterious foreigners?

More recently, DH needed secret clearance for a previous job.  I don't remember all the questions, but one was "Are you a member of any terrorist or other organization which seeks to overthrow the US government by force?". Oh sure, but that's just for something to do on the weekends . . .?

emwithme

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 02:55:17 AM »
DF is currenly applying for PhDs. 

One (online, for PhD level study only) form has a box to tick if "you have no formal qualifications".