Author Topic: stupid questions on official forms  (Read 8722 times)

ShanghaiJill

Re: stupid questions on official forms
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 06:45:41 AM »
I filled out a survey last week.  The gender choices were

Male

Female

Transgender

I thought transgender meant you went from male to female or vice versa.    :P

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 07:16:27 AM »
A transgendered person may or may not have had a sex change for any number of reasons.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
Also, depending on the survey topic, they may want to separate out responses from cisgendered men/women from transgendered men/women.  Something like "Have you ever in your lifetime done X?" (when they expect a difference in answers based on gender) could be complicated by someone who was a woman for half their life and then a man or vice versa  :P

Cutenoob

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
When applying for DSHS/ Food Stamps here in WA state, there is a question on the form: Are you a felon on the run.
You would NOT believe how many people answer that one in the positive.

CakeEater

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 07:23:25 AM »
I've been filling out forms for the childcare rebate recently. My name needed to be the one applying, because I will be primarily dealing with the childcare centre. The rebate needs to be paid into a bank account in my name. Due to various reasons, my name isn't on our bank account.

Representative didn't know what to do until I mentioned that we already had other payments going into the account in my husband's name. Well, that was fine then, we could use that one.

It gives me a headache dealing with these things.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 12:49:32 PM »
When applying for DSHS/ Food Stamps here in WA state, there is a question on the form: Are you a felon on the run.
You would NOT believe how many people answer that one in the positive.

Hey, at least they are honest people - sometimes.

JoW

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »
The one in the blood donation questionnaire: Have you or anyone you know had a smallpox vaccination?

Well, yeah, everyone born before 1972 got one.
I donate blood every 9-10 weeks.  If I recall correctly they ask about exposure to the smallpox vaccine in the last 6 weeks.  Or maybe its the last 6 months, but its not your whole lifetime. 

The smallpox vaccine is live and based on the cowpox virus.  They deliberately get you ill with a mild illness to make you immune to a devastating one.  Its contagious, and can be deviating to anyone who isn't in good health. 

Health care professionals were re-vaccinated after 9/11 and new ones, straight out of school, may also get vaccinated. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
Ooh, I remember the time I first donated blood - the nurse insisted on reading all the questions aloud and checking off the answers for me.  (I think this was for a high school blood drive - maybe she was worried we were too young to read?)  Anyway, I remember one of the questions was "Are you a man who has had sex with another man since 1977?"  (This entire blood drive would have been for teens who had been born after 1980.)  I just looked at her and made some flippant reply, and she monotoned "Just answer the question" back at me.

Uh, no, I'm not a man.  I would have thought you could skip that one, but apparently not  :-\

kkl123

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »
DF is currenly applying for PhDs. 

One (online, for PhD level study only) form has a box to tick if "you have no formal qualifications".

Actually, one of my DH's old buddies got into college on early admission without ever finishing high school.  Then into grad school before finishing a bachelor's.  Double doc with no high school or college diploma.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »
Ooh, I remember the time I first donated blood - the nurse insisted on reading all the questions aloud and checking off the answers for me.  (I think this was for a high school blood drive - maybe she was worried we were too young to read?)  Anyway, I remember one of the questions was "Are you a man who has had sex with another man since 1977?"  (This entire blood drive would have been for teens who had been born after 1980.)  I just looked at her and made some flippant reply, and she monotoned "Just answer the question" back at me.

Uh, no, I'm not a man.  I would have thought you could skip that one, but apparently not  :-\

Nowadays, on the computer questionnaire, you can click the "I am a woman" box for this question.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »
The one in the blood donation questionnaire: Have you or anyone you know had a smallpox vaccination?

Well, yeah, everyone born before 1972 got one.
I donate blood every 9-10 weeks.  If I recall correctly they ask about exposure to the smallpox vaccine in the last 6 weeks.  Or maybe its the last 6 months, but its not your whole lifetime. 

The smallpox vaccine is live and based on the cowpox virus.  They deliberately get you ill with a mild illness to make you immune to a devastating one.  Its contagious, and can be deviating to anyone who isn't in good health. 

Health care professionals were re-vaccinated after 9/11 and new ones, straight out of school, may also get vaccinated.

Maybe they changed it. The last time I donated, the question was simply "Have you or anyone you know had the vaccine?" period.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

jmarvellous

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »

Nowadays, on the computer questionnaire, you can click the "I am a woman" box for this question.

When I went to donate it asked whether you had had sex with someone who had sex with a man. Period. So women or men could say yes to that.

My hated stupid question: Do you accept the terms of service for this (website, software, warranty on electronics ... that you've already downloaded/signed up for/bought)? Check Yes to continue.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »

When I went to donate it asked whether you had had sex with someone who had sex with a man. Period. So women or men could say yes to that.

That's even worse - every monogamous husband out there would have to say yes!  ("Well I enjoy Scrabble with my wife, who enjoys it with me, and I'm a man, so . . .")

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »

To do this show, I had to take a physical, and they asked me a lot of medical questions. And they were, like, yes and no questions, but they were very strangely worded. Like, 'Have you ever tried sugar -- or PCP?'

--Mitch Hedburg (RIP)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Elisabunny

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »

My hated stupid question: Do you accept the terms of service for this (website, software, warranty on electronics ... that you've already downloaded/signed up for/bought)? Check Yes to continue.

The warrenty questions seem somehow similar to all the "how your treatment (that you will die without) is going to kill you" forms I've had to sign for my son.  My favorite (that got YS and me giggling uncontrollably): "Do you consent to receiving bone marrow from a person who may have been exposed to Mad Cow Disease?"  Well, let's see- he can die now from bone marrow failure, or in 10 years from MCD.  We choose...moo.

(Yes, I know why they're required.  They just get absurd after a while.)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...