Author Topic: Bed Sizes  (Read 7704 times)

veryfluffy

Bed Sizes
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:51:17 AM »
There is a discussion elsewhere about bed sizes, but rather than take that onto a tangent, I thought this would be a good topic for this area.

Just to start off, here is a handy guide to bed sizes in different places:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

So a King size bed in the UK is actually marginally smaller than what Americans call Queen size, and our SuperKing is smaller than your King size!

DH and I have a UK Kingsize bed (which we share with three cats).  I think King is becoming more popular with people who have large enough bedrooms -- which is by no means everyone. People who live in smaller houses would have trouble fitting more than a double. The SuperKing is very unusual, and it can be very hard to find bedlinen for.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Bed Sizes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »
UK Kingsize is adviseable for pretty much any man over 6 foot tall, otherwise their feet will stick out of the bottom of the bed!
NE England

Honeypickle

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »
We have a UK Kingsize for me, DH, our 2 cats, our 16 month old daughter (on Saturday mornings only!) - and my ever-growing bump of Baby No 2!

When we stayed in a hotel recently in a double, it seemed really small in comparison.

Would love to have a Super King - that will have to be the next one. I also used to love Frasier's bed on "Frasier" - it looked enormous!! Big beds are definitely the way forward!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »
DF and I have a (US) Full size bed and its plenty big enough for us.  A Queen might be nice, but it wouldn't fit our home well and the sheets/bedding are significant;y more expensive.

I've gotten (US) King size beds in hotels and find then too large for comfort - I actually have to crawl out of them, instead of just rolling and swinging my legs out.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
I live alone and have a queen sized bed.  I tend to be a starfish when I sleep; with the queen, I rarely have a limb over the edge anywhere.  A double is OK but I sometimes have to pull a limb back up and onto the bed.

I've slept in a king in motels and also find it a bit big but with a partner, it might be fine since I would still get to starfish without kicking him too much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »
My bed is a full-size (just a bit narrower than a queen), and I'm a tall broad with daddy-long-legs limbs. We like to sleep where we can touch if we reach out a few inches, but not right up against one another. We direly need a bigger bed.
Words mean things.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »
Ha. My stepmom better never visit her sister in England! lol

I like that the US king is a "super king" in the UK. So much more fun to say. :)

I gotta say, I love our Cal King and am glad they can fit in most master bedrooms here in the US. Of course when we had a condo we bought a queen since it fit the room so much better.

Although, gotta say, I've never heard/seen of an "Olympic Queen" until looking at that chart.

SPuck

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 04:18:43 PM »
Don't american beds have two sizes? A king and a california king?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
My bed is a full-size (just a bit narrower than a queen), and I'm a tall broad with daddy-long-legs limbs. We like to sleep where we can touch if we reach out a few inches, but not right up against one another. We direly need a bigger bed.

Some years ago, there was an article about bed sizes.  It was said that the standard US double bed actually gives each sleeper only about as much lateral room as that of a child's crib.

That could be a little too much togetherness. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »

Technically, yes. But I don't know anyone who has the Cali, nor are the sheets as easy to find.

We have a queen for two, and it works nicely.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »

Huh?  We have several sizes.  And California King, while yes one of them, is by no means a common/usual bed size.  Well at least not in my experience.  Most people I know have "twin" or "single" beds as kids, then get a "double"/"full" or a "queen" as an adult.  King is rare, California King is something I've only ever read about, I've never known a person to actually have one.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »

Aww- she'd be OK- I'm 5'7", DH is 6'4" and we are both not only big built, but overweight too. We fit into a UK kingsize just fine.
NE England

AustenFan

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 07:24:24 PM »
I'm single and have a queen, my parents an grandparents have kings, most of my clients have kings with a couple California Kings in the larger homes. I don't think king size beds are that rare where I live.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »

Huh?  We have several sizes.  And California King, while yes one of them, is by no means a common/usual bed size.  Well at least not in my experience.  Most people I know have "twin" or "single" beds as kids, then get a "double"/"full" or a "queen" as an adult.  King is rare, California King is something I've only ever read about, I've never known a person to actually have one.

Lol. Now you "know" someone! :) That's all my parents had growing up, but then again we're from CA! Now DH & I are in NC and while we just bought a CalKing here, we had to order the Cal King bedding online. Go figure. However those extra inches lengthwise are awesome!

Posted by: mechtilde
on: Today at 06:29:58 PM

Insert Quote

Quote from: megswsu on Today at 09:45:38 AM

Aww- she'd be OK- I'm 5'7", DH is 6'4" and we are both not only big built, but overweight too. We fit into a UK kingsize just fine.

Sadly she wouldn't despite her being 5'4" and my dad 6'2". Apparently they simply cannot sleep in a queen/kingsize. I say a person can make do with less room as long as the bed itself is comfortable, but she would disagree. Whatever!  :D

Ereine

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 01:07:48 AM »
I'm in Finland and we don't have special names for beds, though a bed wide enough for two will be called a double bed (literally, a couple bed), but that's not a standard. It will most of time be 160 cm wide, or possibly 140 though that's rarer and a difficult to find bedding for (which I discovered after I got one). There's also 120 cm wide beds, a sort of single adult size and 80 cm or 90 cm, used probably mostly by children (and me, before I got the new bed a few years ago). You can push two beds (if they're the right sort) together to make wider beds, though if it was 240 cm wide you'd probably have custom order your bedding, 180 cm wouldn't easy either.