Author Topic: Bed Sizes  (Read 7918 times)

greencat

Re: Bed Sizes
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 01:39:38 AM »
I'm currently sleeping alone in a standard American King...and although I COULD have downgraded to a smaller bed when my ex moved out and took the bedroom set and mattress with him, I chose to keep to the larger mattress size.  I tend to sleep not "starfished" but with my arms stretched over my head, so the other bed sizes feel short to me.  Also, I tend to rotate as I sleep and end up oriented "sideways" in the bed - since the king is more or less a big square, that means I don't end up falling off the edge of the bed like I used to when I slept in a twin or a full.

scotcat60

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 07:31:51 AM »
I'm fascinated to read the article and see that my 4 foot or three quarter bed is known as a Prince in the UK. I'm in the UK but I'd never heard one called that before. Oddly, I got my last new mattress without any bother, but the previous one I had to order. The bedspring is a really old one that was used by my Grandparents.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
Don't american beds have two sizes? A king and a california king?

Huh?  We have several sizes.  And California King, while yes one of them, is by no means a common/usual bed size.  Well at least not in my experience.  Most people I know have "twin" or "single" beds as kids, then get a "double"/"full" or a "queen" as an adult.  King is rare, California King is something I've only ever read about, I've never known a person to actually have one.

Interesting enough, I know more babies that have twin beds, kids that have full sized beds (my girls have a full) and adults have Kings or Cal Kings here. All my single women friends have queens.

I have a King which I would love a bit bigger.  I may get a custom bed next!

Maybe our bedrooms are bigger in the South?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:07:51 AM by Zilla »

kitty-cat

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
The bed I have here in Paris is just a bit wider than my pillow is long, but it's longer than a normal twin.

Makes me miss my pillowtop queen size at home.

NE Florida

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »
Don't american beds have two sizes? A king and a california king?

Huh?  We have several sizes.  And California King, while yes one of them, is by no means a common/usual bed size.  Well at least not in my experience.  Most people I know have "twin" or "single" beds as kids, then get a "double"/"full" or a "queen" as an adult.  King is rare, California King is something I've only ever read about, I've never known a person to actually have one.

Interesting enough, I know more babies that have twin beds, kids that have full sized beds (my girls have a full) and adults have Kings or Cal Kings here. All my single women friends have queens.

I have a King which I would love a bit bigger.  I may get a custom bed next!

Maybe our bedrooms are bigger in the South?

That's probably part of it - I don't know anyone with a room big enough to realistically fit a king sized bed and the rooms can fit them are rarely bedrooms.  Plus the difference between living in an apartment building or a private house.  I can't think of any buildings anyone I know lives in with elevators big enough to accommodate larger then a Queen mattress and finding friends willing, or paying movers to, carry a King mattress up several (sometimes several dozen!) flights of stairs is not to appealing a scenario for most people.

Snooks

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
We've got a King size, we're lucky that our bedroom is big enough for one.  Ikea has a lot to answer for because their beds and bedding are slightly larger than the standard size which means that if you have an Ikea duvet you can only buy Ikea covers because normal covers leave the duvet all scrunched up and lumpy.  Sharing a smaller bed doesn't bother me particularly but that might be from 18 months of sharing a single bed!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »
I'm a 20 - something in America, and I sleep comfortably in a twin day bed, mostly because I'm insanely short.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Girlie

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »
This is interesting. I guess I never honestly thought about bed sizes elsewhere...

Anyway, until I was married, I had a twin bed. Now, my husband and I share the full-size bed that was his before marriage. Although, with two growing Maine Coon kittens, my husband is insistent that we will need a much bigger bed, and soon.

My mom has had the same Queen size bed since before I was born. My in-laws have a California King for their bedroom, and a Queen in their spare.

Our roommate has a Queen, but he is hoping to move up to a King at some point.

Big beds are pretty normal here, though - in my experience, Queen is the standard. Our full-size bed (which I love! I'm a cuddler.  ;D) is the smallest of any of our friends, even the single ones.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »
The bed I have here in Paris is just a bit wider than my pillow is long, but it's longer than a normal twin.

That is what i have always heard referred to as a single. Not as wide as a twin, but longer. I remember people being warned to bring the right sheets to dorm living because twin sheets would be too short.

I have a queen. I would gladly go for a king, as would 6'2" Gish, but it would take up too much of our bedroom, i think.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jmarvellous

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »

That is what i have always heard referred to as a single. Not as wide as a twin, but longer. I remember people being warned to bring the right sheets to dorm living because twin sheets would be too short.

I have a queen. I would gladly go for a king, as would 6'2" Gish, but it would take up too much of our bedroom, i think.

My college had "long twin" in most dormitories. We had to buy long twin sheets or just fold twin sheets funny and go without a proper fitted sheet. The bedding was sold as long twin or twin long (often labeled with something like "Great for dorm living!") in most major department stores right before the start of the school year, or at Target/Wal-Mart year-round only at the locations nearest to campus. I don't recall them ever being referred to as a "single" size, but maybe it's regional.

misha412

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
Interesting subject.

My fiance and I just got a new bed. It is a California king. He is 6' 4" (abt 193 cm). Even a regular king bed is a bit short for him.

Both of us, living as singles, used to have full sized beds. When we tried to sleep in one together, we found that neither of our mattresses could handle the both of us comfortably. After a couple months of trying different things, we broke down and got the Cali king. A great bed, perfect size.

CakeBeret

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 04:40:55 PM »
Ever since we got married, DH and I have had a US King size bed. We were pretty insistent that we wanted a king, and ruled out apartments and then houses that did not have a bedroom big enough for a king bed. We're both on the bigger side, and I *must* toss and turn at night. Plus I like to have enough space to sleep comfortably without touching. I'm weird, I can't stand anything touching me when I sleep. We've slept on a full together, and it was a miserable experience; I was uncomfortable enough that I never fell into deep sleep. We've also slept on a queen that wasn't as bad, but still was not comfortable.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

marcel

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 05:01:14 AM »
First there is length, as the article mentioned, in The Netherlands, next to 200cm,  220cm is also a standard length (The DUtch are among the tallest people in the world, which explains this.) As you can imagine, I do find the beds in sme countries too small.

A very common size that I am missing in this article is the 180x200. This is a very easy size, since it is simply 2 single matresses of 90 x 200 put together.

In the netherlands we also do not really use names for bed sizes. A bed is either a one-person or a two-person bed, which does not yet indicate the exact sizes.

There is one more word, and that is for beds of more the 100, but less then 140 cm. these are called "twijfelaar" which would be literally translated as "doubter", since it is neither a one- nor a two-person bed
Wherever you go..... There you are.

greencat

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 03:32:15 AM »
First there is length, as the article mentioned, in The Netherlands, next to 200cm,  220cm is also a standard length (The DUtch are among the tallest people in the world, which explains this.) As you can imagine, I do find the beds in sme countries too small.

A very common size that I am missing in this article is the 180x200. This is a very easy size, since it is simply 2 single matresses of 90 x 200 put together.

In the netherlands we also do not really use names for bed sizes. A bed is either a one-person or a two-person bed, which does not yet indicate the exact sizes.

There is one more word, and that is for beds of more the 100, but less then 140 cm. these are called "twijfelaar" which would be literally translated as "doubter", since it is neither a one- nor a two-person bed

"I doubt I'm going to share this with anyone, but just in case?"

Glaceon

• Pokemon Trainer
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »
This American needs a king size bed.  Snorlax and I are big people and don't like to be crammed together while we sleep.  King is the biggest size you can get here (California King is longer but is actually not as wide).  We bought it when we set up our first place together, and it's fit in all the apartments and houses we've lived it.  We make it work.

Since Piplup was born we decided on a family bed, so now there's three and soon there will be one more, so we need all the space we can get.  Actually before Jiggly arrives we'll be sticking a twin size next to use for maximum space.