Author Topic: Insert Quote feature - not working  (Read 3839 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Insert Quote feature - not working
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:48:48 AM »
I can from the main page click on quote a post and it takes me to a posting page with the quote already inserted. But once I enter the posting page (where you actually post your reply) I can't use the Insert Quote from there.

That make any sense?  I noticed other posters seem to be having the same problem as well and see them writing it out instead of quoting.

Is this a glitch?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Insert Quote feature - not working
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »
Quote from:
 link=topic=116235.msg2719607#msg2719607 date=1337860128
I can from the main page click on quote a post and it takes me to a posting page with the quote already inserted. But once I enter the posting page (where you actually post your reply) I can't use the Insert Quote from there.

That make any sense?  I noticed other posters seem to be having the same problem as well and see them writing it out instead of quoting.

Is this a glitch?

Testing.

ETA that the end of the quote  ( [/quote ] - space added - ) was out of view, but I could scroll down and begin typing after it.

A brute force method would be to highlight and copy the text you want to quote, then type
[quote ] copied text goes here [/quote ]

Without the spaces, you get
copied text goes here
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:19:39 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »
The quote feature hasn't worked for me on my computer ever since the update.  That's why I have to just do cut and pastes.  Works on my iPhone.

CleverScreenName

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
I also noticed that a few posters don't use the quote feature, it really makes it hard to read. I find myself just skipping their posts.

Jones

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »

Is this a glitch?

The quote feature hasn't worked for me on my computer ever since the update.  That's why I have to just do cut and pastes.  Works on my iPhone.

I also noticed that a few posters don't use the quote feature, it really makes it hard to read. I find myself just skipping their posts.

It works for me, but only on the computer, not on my phone. I think my phone is a bit lame, though. There are many things it doesn't let me do.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:23:35 PM »

It could be that we can't.  I can do what I've done above - manually type in the [ quote]....[/ quote] stuff to get it in the quote box.  But I can't get it to put the person's name in there like we used to be able to do (and like I can on my phone).  Nothing I can do about that; it's something to do with the site update.

CleverScreenName

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »

It could be that we can't.  I can do what I've done above - manually type in the [ quote]....[/ quote] stuff to get it in the quote box.  But I can't get it to put the person's name in there like we used to be able to do (and like I can on my phone).  Nothing I can do about that; it's something to do with the site update.

I'm not referring to your posts.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »

From the main thread, instead of reply, I can click on Quote and it works as seen above.

But once in the posting screen where I type my reply, if you scroll you can see several posts with an Insert Quote feature.  That's the insert feature I can't use either on my phone or computer.

I do know how to use the HTML version of quote or cut and paste, but I was just wondering why the posting screen Insert Quote isn't working.  The HTML and the cut and paste is highly annoying to me.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:12:51 PM »

That's fine. :)  But my point is that there may be a reason why the person isn't able to do the quoting.  There are some quirks right now (my example is just one of them) that limit some of what we could do before.

It could also be for a non-technical reason, I realize.  And you are correct in saying that, in those cases, it would be more helpful to the readers to use the quoting feature.  Some people are not having the technical difficulties that others are.

CleverScreenName

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:19:09 PM »

That's fine. :)  But my point is that there may be a reason why the person isn't able to do the quoting.  There are some quirks right now (my example is just one of them) that limit some of what we could do before.

It could also be for a non-technical reason, I realize.  And you are correct in saying that, in those cases, it would be more helpful to the readers to use the quoting feature.  Some people are not having the technical difficulties that others are.

In my nosing around, I realise that this person always posts this way.

squeakers

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »

And it is perfectly readable.  Very old school and hearkening back to the early days of email lists and USENET when one did not have an auto-quote feature. 

The few people whose posting styles bug me on here.. I ignore them mentally and scroll past their posts.  It's much less stressful for me and I don't get caught up in trying to make them post the way I would prefer they did.  Kind of like ignoring the fact my dinner partner is eating his steak with the dessert fork.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »
If you really want, you could start the first quote in a new tab or window and then just use the quote feature from the main thread over and over in new windows and use that HTML to copy and paste into your main reply.  This preserves the quoter's name, date and time.  I sometimes do this anyway when I'm reading through a long thread where there are many posts I might decide to quote.

Hope that makes sense!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

CleverScreenName

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »

And it is perfectly readable.  Very old school and hearkening back to the early days of email lists and USENET when one did not have an auto-quote feature. 

The few people whose posting styles bug me on here.. I ignore them mentally and scroll past their posts.  It's much less stressful for me and I don't get caught up in trying to make them post the way I would prefer they did.  Kind of like ignoring the fact my dinner partner is eating his steak with the dessert fork.

People also used to beat their clothes on rocks to get them clean, but wash machines made things easier.

If you had read my first post, you would seen that I said that I skip over the posts. And it doesn't stress me out in the slightest.