Author Topic: Second Showers (dutch treat)  (Read 2406 times)

Redneck Gravy

Second Showers (dutch treat)
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »
I was invited to a baby shower for a friend of DD's.

It was at a cupcake store (where you can sit and have a cupcake and drink or get cupcakes to go), so it's like a bakery but only sells cupcakes and sodas.  I hope I am being clear here.

This is her second shower in just over two years, this one for her second child (another girl) coming soon.  It was hosted by the mother to be.  I know that times have changed - but hosting your own shower, hmmmm, just not etiquettely approved by my generation.

I thought we would have cupcakes or still a cake maybe and soft drinks.  Well, you could have either or both of those things if you bought them.  Guests were not provided anything - food or drink.  It was strictly just a location to have the "shower" everything else was dutch treat.  WoW! 

Is this becoming more and more common? Self hosted, self serve showers!

NyaChan

Re: Second Showers (dutch treat)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:09:43 PM »
While news of me turning down an opportunity to have cupcakes might be cause for concern in my social circle, I think I would have summoned up the willpower to do it in this case.  This is one step away from just sending out an invite saying - "Hey I'm having another child, send my gifts to 100 GimmePig St."

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:17:24 PM »
"Bring me a gift and buy your own refreshments"

No thanks.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
I'd be fascinated by the invitation.

"Please join me
on xx date
to celebrate me and new baby
at
xx cupcake store

Please bring cash for cupcakes,
quarters for the meter,
and something for baby!"

Nornster

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:06:18 PM »
I guess it could have been worse - it could have been expected that you all would chip in the for MTB's cupcakes, too.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
Yeah, that's just... not right. But it's such a simple, clean fail, with no messy ambiguities or pretensions of hospitality, that I give her points for style.  :P
~Lynn2000

Thena

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
OP, please tell me you deducted the cost of your cupcake from your gift to the hostess/mother to be?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
OP, please tell me you deducted the cost of your cupcake from your gift to the hostess/mother to be?

Well no, I didn't expect to buy my own cupcake when I got there!

I put my gift on the MTB table and then sat down for a bit and started visiting with the other guests when I asked about a drink someone said you have to buy your own  :o

So I bought a cupcake and bottle of water and watched the MTB open her gifts, then I left shaking my head. 

Lesson learned from this "new generation" I guess, now I know what to watch for. Which reminds me I have not received a thank you note but it has only been a few weeks. 

LeveeWoman

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »

Well no, I didn't expect to buy my own cupcake when I got there!

I put my gift on the MTB table and then sat down for a bit and started visiting with the other guests when I asked about a drink someone said you have to buy your own  :o

So I bought a cupcake and bottle of water and watched the MTB open her gifts, then I left shaking my head. 

Lesson learned from this "new generation" I guess, now I know what to watch for. Which reminds me I have not received a thank you note but it has only been a few weeks.

What? You mean you've not written a thank you note for yourself, stamped the envelope and dropped it off at her house?!  ;)

Seriously, this was by no means a shower. This was a gift grab, plain and simple.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »

She's rude, but please do condemn an entire generation.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

I think (hope!) you mean don't. *g*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »

I think (hope!) you mean don't. *g*

Oops!   :-[  ::)  :o

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »
Seriously, this was by no means a shower. This was a gift grab, plain and simple.

Definitely.  It could go in the dictionary next to 'gift grab'.