Author Topic: Whoa wait a minute!  (Read 12861 times)

kitten999101

Whoa wait a minute!
« on: August 06, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »
I was reading the new stories in the Neighbor section, and I read this story, it's the 2nd story in one post...the bolded part bothers me

2 - We then moved to a single family dwelling.  The neighbors on one side had 2 kids and eventually they bought a dog, the runt of a mixed bred  litter who turned out to be about the size of a Great Dane.  And of course they did not keep the dog in their yard to do his business.  When I saw their dog planting large land mines in our front yard, I politely asked them to pick up after their dog.  To which they said it wasn't their dog and he was never, ever in our yard.   At first I just picked up the stuff on a shovel and put it in their yard, but the still would do his business in our yard.

Repeated requests met with the same thing…it's not our dog.

At the same time we had a problem with chipmunks who were eating our flower bulbs.  A friend said to put down Ex-lax tablets around the area where they were seen.  So I put down two whole packages of Ex-law tablets on the wooden border of the flower bed, which quickly disappeared.

Within 2 days there was a carpet cleaning truck in the neighbors driveway.  Coincidence, I hope not, but we never had problems with the dog again as long as we lived there.

Does that bother or alarm anyone else? This whole story bothers me, irresponsible owners and the dog paying for it. That dog could've been put down for that, if the owners were cruel enough. I don't know animals reactions to human meds, even if it was normal reaction...to me it's like that prank: baking chocolate laxatives into brownies to giving it to someone who has no idea what s/he's about to eat. I don't find this story amusing...I'm horrified at it. Maybe I'm over sensitive?

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
Re: Whoa wait a minute!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
No, the story bothered me, too.  However, I don't know the legalities.  They left them for the chipmunks, but I've never heard of this remedy before.  I do feel bad for the dog, but I don't believe they had any intention of the dog consuming the meds.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 04:15:38 PM »
Well, I'm not saying its right, but it seems to me that the OP was putting them out to get the chipmunks, not the dog. I feel bad for the dog, and the OP shouldn't have put meds out, for a number of reasons... what if the children had eaten it thinking it was chocolate? But I don't think it was intentional.

illa_nell

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:37:15 PM »
It is actually far worse than a funny prank.  The garden pests don't move out because they are feeling ill, and that poster is lucky no other animal died.

From a pest control board (just checking to see if people actually do this):

"A far second to cats are gophers. They are also hard to get rid off but at least don't destroy the soil. A "black hole" trap works well to get rid of them. If that doesn't work, chocolate laxative does. The caffeine and theobromide in chocolate is fatal to mammals (including humans but we're bigger). Toss a couple down the hole and cover the hole to protect it from pets."

Nice.

Of course, they suggest it for much larger pests (raccoons and such) so the chocolate (though it is a neurotoxin) probably isn't why it works.  There can't be enough cacao in those things to kill anything larger than a rodent.  The laxative ingredient itself is probably what kills them.  Because of their size, it would certainly be a fatal overdose of the drug.

Lucky the dog didn't die - or any other neighborhood pet.  Or small child.

Shortcake

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 06:36:14 PM »
That is awful! I agree with others who said it was irresponsible to put out the ex-lax. That was cruel to the dog or any other pests. What if a child had picked that up?

"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

snowflake

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »
I'm not a fan of ex-lax as pest control.  But it is safer than just putting out your normal poisons.

Then again, I can't talk.  I have two cats that control our rodent population.  I'm sure a death by poison has to be better than death by cat from the mouse's perspective.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 02:28:05 PM »
The OP says they put out Ex-Lax tablets.  Those are not chocolate.  Those are pills.

kitten999101

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »
The OP says they put out Ex-Lax tablets.  Those are not chocolate.  Those are pills.

Does it make it any less irresponsible?

behindbj

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 03:07:22 PM »
Well, I'm not saying its right, but it seems to me that the OP was putting them out to get the chipmunks, not the dog. I feel bad for the dog, and the OP shouldn't have put meds out, for a number of reasons... what if the children had eaten it thinking it was chocolate? But I don't think it was intentional.

For me, regardless of what the item actually is, its intent is to get rid of/kill something.  Therefore, I view the Ex-Lax tablets in this context in the same way that I view blue rat poison pellets. 

I placed them down a couple of rat holes that I found in my garden (inside my fence) and covered up/filled in the holes the best I could.  Early the next morning, I found a slightly chewed rat pellet sitting on the sidewalk outside my fence.  I never used them again.

Even though it was my intent to kill rats, neighborhood dogs may have gotten ahold of one and died.  Regardless of my intent, it would have made me no less responsible.

behindbj

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 03:40:04 PM »
...Within 2 days there was a carpet cleaning truck in the neighbors driveway.  Coincidence, I hope not, but we never had problems with the dog again as long as we lived there...

If instead, they said "I hope it was a coincidence", I would be on the side of the writer.  But, the way it was phrased, it sounds like they didn't care whether dog or chipmunk got to it first.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 03:51:31 PM »
while i think its wrong that the dog had to suffer, i'm a bit more in the "karma" department for the cleaning bill. It wasn't intentional, and the person SHOULDN'T have done it, but seems like karma might have caught up with the dog's owner.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 04:14:04 PM »

Does it make it any less irresponsible?

Yes. Pills are not sweet and are therefore less attractive to dogs.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 05:58:17 PM »
I think it's tough to say that a home owner shouldn't put something in their own yard for pest control simply because someone else's pet may wander in and find it (when they shouldn't be there in the first place). That being said, I lose some sympathy for the poster when they sound almost gleeful that the dog may have been accidentally sickened by the tablets. That crosses the line for me.

ladydesmond

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »
Hello.  First post here.

I find the whole idea disturbing.  There are humane ways to protect your bulbs from chipmunks without killing them in a hideous manner.

Chipmunks are not generally "pests".  They don't get into your attic and aren't interested in your garbage can.

They are harmless little creatures who are part of any natural environment, and I don't understand why anyone would want to kill them.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 06:38:07 PM »
Hello.  First post here.

I find the whole idea disturbing.  There are humane ways to protect your bulbs from chipmunks without killing them in a hideous manner.

Chipmunks are not generally "pests".  They don't get into your attic and aren't interested in your garbage can.

They are harmless little creatures who are part of any natural environment, and I don't understand why anyone would want to kill them.

I think people consider them pests cause they're rodents...
I love them though, you know I had never seen one till I was at the zoo about a year ago, and I'm 27!!! They're so cute, we have a bunch that live in a flower bed next to my house. But I can see why some people wouldn't like them, if you're the kind of person not to like gerbils and hammies its easy to see them lumped together...

speak of the devil, my cat is watching one in the window now.