Author Topic: Will.i.am texts while carrying the Olympic Torch  (Read 13592 times)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Re: Will.i.am texts while carrying the Olympic Torch
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »
I think the trend started with video cameras.

We'd go to to a concert or recital and the parents were not an audience but a massive film crew.

While its nice to have a record of the event, the way you experience an event should be more important.  I have memories of sitting there in a seat watching my kid perform--and not through the screen of a vid recorder.

As far as cell phones, when I go to a concert, I will take pictures and immediately upload them but I won't text or tweet--no typing.   I can handle a couple of clicks to take a pic and upload but anything more than that is interfering with my concert experience.

That said, I found it really annoying when at a Cake concert the band criticized the crowd for having their cell phones out.  That really turned me off.  They had hundreds of people at their gig, they should be happy with that and not try and turn it into a morality lesson.

will.i.am tweeting while carrying the torch just seems a little narcissistic

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
I noticed several Olympics ago the athletes marching in had cells out, taking pictures, maybe even texting, posting, talking.  If they do it durning the opening/closing ceremonies I can't fault him too much.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 02:41:51 PM »

We'd go to to a concert or recital and the parents were not an audience but a massive film crew.

While its nice to have a record of the event, the way you experience an event should be more important.  I have memories of sitting there in a seat watching my kid perform--and not through the screen of a vid recorder.

As far as cell phones, when I go to a concert, I will take pictures and immediately upload them but I won't text or tweet--no typing.   I can handle a couple of clicks to take a pic and upload but anything more than that is interfering with my concert experience.

That said, I found it really annoying when at a Cake concert the band criticized the crowd for having their cell phones out.  That really turned me off.  They had hundreds of people at their gig, they should be happy with that and not try and turn it into a morality lesson.

Does your camera show a brilliant flash of light as you take the picture? I knew every time the person in front of me at the theater took a picture. 

You may be okay with it, but it's still incredibly disruptive.
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »

Does your camera show a brilliant flash of light as you take the picture? I knew every time the person in front of me at the theater took a picture. 

You may be okay with it, but it's still incredibly disruptive.

I don't know that a flash of light would be particularly disruptive at the kinds of concerts that I go to!  ;)

Anyway, I am usually not close enough to the action for my flash to light up my subject and the stage lights do a great job of providing light.

My point is more that while I may take a few pics and upload them, I would rather my attention be on the band and experiencing the moment in real time.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 01:58:13 AM »
I actually think it depends a lot on what he was doing while on the phone.

Sending personal texts - could wait so rude.
Tweeting his run for his fans who couldn't be there - part of the new way technology is used and not rude.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »
OT from the etiquette of it all, but I can't help but wonder if all this living life through our cell phones/cameras/what have you is making us (or going to make us) less happy as a species...

IMO (and in the opinions of several others), a big part of happiness is being completely absorbed in what you're doing-- living fully in the experience. When you take the time out to film it or whatever, that's taking you out of the experience (or, I think it does, anyway).

But I'm a nutter who doesn't even like taking time out for photographs when I'm having fun.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »
I actually think it depends a lot on what he was doing while on the phone.

Sending personal texts - could wait so rude.
Tweeting his run for his fans who couldn't be there - part of the new way technology is used and not rude.

I disagree with this. Ceremonies should have the participants' full attention, specially in a large, visible role. If a ceremony is relevant enough for someone to participate, it should be important enough to give it your full attention. If it isn't, then you don't consider it an honor and should turn it down (or, if for some reason you can't turn it down, then it is important enough to someone that you should at least pretend). He could have had an assistant tweet for him while did the run, tweet himself immediately before and after the run but not during it.

Unfortunately, this is hardly without precedent. Athletes take pictures and use a cell phone during opening and closing ceremonies. The parade queen is up there taking pictures instead of interacting with the crowd. And so on. When you take on this kind of role, it isn't about your experience, exactly. You are there as a symbol of something.

If this kind of behaviour is frowned upon when it is done by an audience (whether in church, theater, class or meeting), it is even worse when it is carried out by the main lead.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 09:29:29 AM »
I don't think its a question of being rude or not. More a question of whether you are a sad case or not. Though I doubt will.i.am cares (or anyone else) cares that I think they are sad for being glued to their phone. It's a subjective test after all. One person's sad is another persons 'cool'. No-one has lives anymore. Technology has just pulled us further apart instead of bring us together. I know most of us happily co-exist but you know the people I'm talking about. The ones that give you details of their every bowel movements on their Facebook statuses every half an hour. The ones who you go out to a bar with and who spend the entire night trying to capture a photo of themselves at a good angle looking away from the camera to pretend it's an off guard shot when really its a pose for their new Facebook pic. Ahhh yes, the not-looking-at-the camera but knowing it's there and posing discreetly profile pic.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 10:32:44 AM »
I think it's rude. Wait till you're done- it's not that long.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
Probably off-topic, but a number of my British friends were offended by a non-Briton carrying the torch.

I should go google this, but isn't it customary for people from various countries (not just the host country) to carry the torch?

I think the torch shoudl be carried *in* Britain by a Brit. And in America by an American.

Shannon

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
Probably off-topic, but a number of my British friends were offended by a non-Briton carrying the torch.

I should go google this, but isn't it customary for people from various countries (not just the host country) to carry the torch?

I think the torch shoudl be carried *in* Britain by a Brit. And in America by an American.

He was in Britain. He was in Taunton, in Somerset.

Frostblooded

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 10:37:01 PM »

MariaE

Frostblooded

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »
Um...?

What are we looking for?

An answer to the whole Britain in Britain thing. I'm highly confused as to what the objection is over, as there are British in Britain carrying it. Logged out there.

MariaE

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 01:15:02 AM »
Um...?

What are we looking for?

An answer to the whole Britain in Britain thing. I'm highly confused as to what the objection is over, as there are British in Britain carrying it. Logged out there.

Ah! Gotcha. Thanks :)