Author Topic: Traffic to the new wedding site  (Read 13624 times)

PurpleFrog

Re: Traffic to the new wedding site
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
I feel the same as Samantha and Sterling, I started a wedding thread but will probably not update it on the new site and would prefer it removed. I also wonder what Ehell members who don't use hell bells are supposed to do should they have a wedding etiquette question do they have to go across or can the subject still be discussed here on occasion?
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

EMuir

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »
I won't be visiting the new site as weddings aren't specifically of interest to me.  The community is an important part to me too, and it's like having a coffee shop in my city where I know everyone and one in a small town a few miles away where I might or might not meet people I know... sure it's easy to go to either, but in reality I'm going to stay in the one I know.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 10:49:02 AM »
I'm rather unhappy that posts which were previously on eHell in members-only folders/forums have now been moved to another website which does not have these privacy controls.  It's not like people were posting their bank details in the threads but a lot of them have pictures and other identifying information included which posters may not have added if they knew the threads would be open for all to view. 

That is a valid point. We had to go back to a 2010 back up to verify that the permissions on that My Wedding Day board were restricted to members only.   I had changed a few permissions to allow the"movers" access to all folders and boards and did not recall changing that board.   It has had a restricted access so that was changed last week to members only.  However, the main folder in that board is visible to all guests and members.

I would also like to know the legal point of view about taking posts from one forum/site and moving them to another one without the original posters permission.

There has been a considerable financial investment over the past decade in legal counsel regarding copyrights, etc.  Nothing this big is ever done without legal counsel.  If you cannot trust the legal and ethical standards of a web site you should not be submitting content of any kind.   

The grant of rights was crafted at least 8 years ago and it clearly refers to content submitted to "ETIQUETTE HELL", not etiquettehell.com.   "Etiquette Hell" is my company business name although it has recently changed to Etiquette Hell LLC.  Content submitted to "Etiquette Hell" has always carried an implicit license to copy it and use it elsewhere within the context of the business and that includes the sister site, www.weddinghellsbells.com.   

Indeed, part of the forum rules states: "Content submitted to the forum is not deemed to be granted material for the blog or any other publication. What happens on the forum, stays on the forum" and I believe that the new forum falls under "any other publication".  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Those two sentences were added a few years ago to assure people that the stories they said on the forum would not be used as material in the blog.   However, I have been advised to remove it for two reasons.  One, it contradicts the previous sentences in the grant of rights which take legal priority anyway. Two, after the drama on the forum last October, people engaging in tortious behavior that seeks to disrupt operation of the web sites or server in any way have defaulted on their right to privacy and my attorney would prefer I use the blog or web page to expose them.   I have not yet availed myself of that option but I prefer to keep that option open. 

I have recently updated the Forum Rules to reflect these and other changes.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »

Summary of all the posts in this thread:

1.  Most of you like and want community.
2.  Most of you do not want to be bothered investing in that community to make it better.
3. Not one person in this thread bothered to privately email or PM me about their concerns or observations prior to this thread.

Duly noted.